Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 10-06-2013, 09:41 AM

Default Re: Otis Farrell July 24, 1999 - October 4, 2013 RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by farrwf View Post
Otis Farrell July 24, 1999 - October 4, 2013 Ü R.I.P.

Otis passed away peacefully in his dad's loving arms at 5:30 CDT today.

This battle was one we couldn't win. Thanks to all of you, it wasn't diabetes which claimed Otis, but congestive heart failure.

I'll fill you in with the details in the next few days. Right now, I'm devastated by the loss of my best friend.

Again, thanks to all!

Thank you all for your warm and heartfelt condolences. It means a lot to me that Otis left such a good impression with you.

My little guy was a fighter, and stayed that way till the end. I had hoped we'd have several more years together, but that was not to be. This congestive heart failure hit my Otis very fast and very hard, leaving little that could be done other than making him comfortable. My brave little guy was fighting
battles on too many fronts ... his diabetes, chronic sinus infections, severe arthritis, and coping with his blindness. This one could not be overcome.

I felt as if I'd been blindsided Friday. Not in my wildest dreams did I see this coming. Given O's history with ear problems, it seemed that was the issue when I dropped him off for the doc to look at him on Friday.

One of my neighbors, his Auntie Brenda, whose Westies were Otis' best walking buddies, went with me to the doctor's so she could say good bye. We spent a good amount of time with O before the doctor came in. He was having a hard time breathing and had been given a sedative so he would be comfortable.

Friday turned out to be about the saddest and hardest day of my life. I'd been fearing this day for many months, being constantly reminded of our fur buddies' mortality and fragility by the forum members who have crossed our path during his almost 3 years as a member here.

No one, nor any thing has been closer to me, or meant more to me than my Otis has for the past 14 years. I suppose I could take some consolation in knowing if the experience and relationship I had with Otis wasn't so darned good I wouldn't feel as bad as I do. But, I guess that's the price we pay for the deep and wonderful relationships we've had.

My house seems very empty now and I catch myself looking for him in his favorite spots when I get up to go to another room. I suppose I'll pack up his stuff in the next few days.

In any event, I wanted to share a poem and a video I came across which has really stoked some feelings in me the past two days. I hope you enjoy them as much as I have.

The Last Battle

====================
The Last Battle

If it should be that I grow frail and weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep,

Then will you do what must be done,
For this, the last battle, can't be won.

You will be sad I understand,
But don't let grief then stay your hand.
For on this day, more than the rest,
Your love and friendship must stand the test.

We've had so many happy years, you wouldn't want me to suffer so
When the time comes,
please let me go.
Take me to where my needs they'll tend,
Only, stay with me till the end.
And hold me firm and speak to me
Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time you will agree
It is a kindness you do to me.

Although my tail it's last has waved,
From pain and suffering I have been saved.

Don't grieve that it must be you
Who has to decide this thing to do.

We've been so close, we two, these years,
Don't let your heart hold any tears.

I'll never forget one minute we spent,
Of loving and laughing, of places we went.

And I dread the day that your scent disappears,
For it reminds me, Otis, that you were just here!

But one day will come, when we'll start to see through,
The pain of the moment, and remember just "you".
Now you go and play, and look down when you can,
Remembering I love you, and this isn't the end ...

author unknown
Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dadís loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Last edited by farrwf; 12-18-2014 at 11:05 AM.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:57 AM

Such a beautiful poem. I've read it several times before and every time it pulls at my heart. You've been in my thoughts as I know the days ahead will be difficult for you. Looks like you started your journey with O at five weeks old - when he was just a wee little baby. You were both blessed to have 14 years together. Having said that, even when you know they are in a better place, it does not ease the loss you feel in your heart. Hugs to you.
Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!
Old 10-06-2013, 11:06 AM
Senior Member and Moderator

Beautiful Bill. I had to stop the video with tears threatening for now.

So glad Brenda was able to go with you and say goodbye. I imagine the quiet house will take some getting used to. I looked for Ali's eyes to follow me long after she was gone. They leave such a keep impression on our hearts.

-P
Old 10-06-2013, 01:41 PM

Bill,

When I logged on today, to only find that we lost the Big O, I just could not believe it. He was such a fighter, and with you by his side... It would seem you would have him for many many more years. They leave a HUGE hole in our hearts.

Barb
Old 10-06-2013, 02:08 PM
Administrator

I took some time yesterday to go through your wonderful album Bill.

Otis always looked just a little disgruntled - camera shy?

Such precious pictures of him as a wee baby and on into his senior years...

My husband told our dog Jack last night that he would really appreciate it if Jack could find it in his heart to outlive my husband, who is not sure he can go through losing such a treasured friend again since he's still not recovered from the last one...

The price we pay for giving so fully of ourselves to these sweet creatures, who give so fully to us.

Natalie
Old 10-06-2013, 03:55 PM

Oh Bill, I wish I could take away this pain you need to walk through, but as you know that would mean all those 14 wonderful years would have to go away too.

I was sobbing to the video. Such a beautiful sadness. it really brought me back to the first evening without Ruby. I came to my family in the living room and just crumpled.

I loved the middle of the video when she/Otis is leaping and frolicking. hang onto that in the days ahead. I believe the agony is ours and although I am sure O misses you just as much as you miss him, his spirit has been released from his painful body.

I'm glad.....if this is the right word, for you and Otis that the end came quickly. we wouldn't lose them any sooner, but watching, waiting and dreading when our world will fall apart is so excruciating.

Tara
Old 10-06-2013, 05:19 PM

Oh Bill

I can only imagine the heart ache ur feeling right now.
Something I keep with me is from my vet. When he diagnosed Alfie with his brain tumour I crumpled. He told me that the sadness we feel letting them go gives worth to their lives with us. We have them for too shot a time but love then enough to last a lifetime.

Big O has not only left a huge hole in ur hear but a huge hole for all ur who knew him through u. He was one special little guy to touch the lives of so many that never even met him.

Allison
Old 10-07-2013, 03:56 AM

Bill,
I looked through the big O's pictures and enjoyed seeing him through the years. Loved the one with him in your hands. Such a precious tiny little pup.

We got Decker when he was just six weeks old. Sometimes it seems like things come full circle. They need so much as tiny little pups and again near the end they look to us to take care of them. Those years in between I think they spend taking care of us - so unconditional. Hope sweet memories of Otis will bring a smile to your face today.
Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!
Old 10-07-2013, 05:37 AM
Founding Member

Bill,

I just logged in and found out that Otis has crossed the Bridge. I'm so very sorry. I know the awful feeling of seeing them struggle to breathe as the fluid fills their lungs. I've been there and made the same hard choice you did for Otis.

Hugs,
Bonnie and Angel Criss Ann
Old 10-09-2013, 08:33 AM

Dear Bill,
So very very sad and sorry to hear your news. Otis was such a brave darling.
Bless you both at this sad parting.
The poem is so poignant and expressive of the love our best friends bring to our lives. Really beautiful. Thank you.
We are all thinking of you and sending you love and strength.
Pippa; Westie, diagnosed 17th April 2012 at 6.5 years old, 8.7kgs, 6.8 units canninsulin bd, Burns high oats food . Lives with George 9 (Black lab), Polly 19 (cat) and Basil 15 (diabetic mog for 5+ years). Im Jen and we live in West Wales where it rains too much!