Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 11-15-2009, 04:19 PM

Default Re: Bagel joins the group and Mommy is melting

well I got the ketone things at Walgreens for cheaper than the link even said..

haven;t read anything yet...

I didn't go to the mailbox til today and there is my ONE TOUCH ULTRA 2 ...
no sticks but I guess ya have to get them with a date on it huh?
Oh well...
She is snoring....and I am thinking tomorrow is a new day and I am getting prepared...
We went out in her stroller today for a long walk..The weather was SO NICE the last two days and tomorrow too before it gets cold again.,..
Need to read about ketones..
S
Old 11-15-2009, 04:25 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

You can buy the ultra strips at any pharmacy or target, walmart. They are cheaper if you buy them on line. You need to read the instructions on your monitor It will tell you how to set the monitor for the strips you get. It sounds complicated but it isn't once you've done it a few times Hang in there
Old 11-16-2009, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagel's Mom View Post
well I got the ketone things at Walgreens for cheaper than the link even said..

haven;t read anything yet...

I didn't go to the mailbox til today and there is my ONE TOUCH ULTRA 2 ...
no sticks but I guess ya have to get them with a date on it huh?
Oh well...
She is snoring....and I am thinking tomorrow is a new day and I am getting prepared...
We went out in her stroller today for a long walk..The weather was SO NICE the last two days and tomorrow too before it gets cold again.,..
Need to read about ketones..
S

Hi Sande,

Just to say I use a plastic cup with a handle on it if I am collecting urine from Lucy, try and use Keto-diastix.
You check ketones at 15 seconds then glucose at the next 15 seconds.
30 seconds in total.

Once you start blood testing Sande you will get a better grip on things and before you know it you will be an old pro

It is nerve wracking for everyone to begin with but it is surprising how soon you get there

You will do fine just stay calm and your dog will be calm

Hugs to you all.

Last edited by Margaret Boyle; 11-16-2009 at 03:36 AM. Reason: mistake
Old 11-17-2009, 04:16 PM

a good week so far..She is resting well and we are sleeping through the night..YAY
I havent done any ketone testing....been crazy and i try to get home and take her out in the buggy before dark..We went about 45 min tonight.,...she loves it so much!!

She eats and gets her shot while she is still eating...and goes to bed for a while...then she got up when she smelled my chicken HA
I gave her a tiny bit and now she is back resting...

I hope to catch up on studying the monitor and all next week as I am out of school WEDS through SUN and will have quiet time to read and learn...
I am thankful for so many things these days!!!
S
Old 11-18-2009, 10:43 AM

Check her for ketones today if possible. It takes 15 seconds. If there are no ketones in her urine that is great, but if she does register ketones it can be a very MAJOR issue. I'm sorry that I am being so pushy about this, but I promise you that you need this information. It may be negative and you'll have nothing to worry about, but you should check regularly especially if her sugar is very high and unregulated. Let us know..

Quote:
a good week so far..She is resting well and we are sleeping through the night..YAY
I havent done any ketone testing....been crazy and i try to get home and take her out in the buggy before dark..We went about 45 min tonight.,...she loves it so much!!

She eats and gets her shot while she is still eating...and goes to bed for a while...then she got up when she smelled my chicken HA
I gave her a tiny bit and now she is back resting...

I hope to catch up on studying the monitor and all next week as I am out of school WEDS through SUN and will have quiet time to read and learn...
I am thankful for so many things these days!!!
S
Old 11-19-2009, 08:45 PM
Administrator

I too am concerned about ketones given how high her blood sugar has been. So I'm hoping you have had a chance to test her.

Not sure if this has already been mentioned, but a soup ladle is a popular collection tool.

Natalie
Old 11-20-2009, 03:32 AM

Friday and a time hopefully to catch up on all the new things coming our way..
Bagel had another curve test yest..
and they didn't put the numbers on the invoice this week..DANG IT..I will call and get it today...
anyway the last test was 430...
Goes again next Friday...how long does this go on? I am going broke..

They want me to keep an AM and PM journal for BG testing and since I got the Ultra 2 One Touch and have NO clue what I am doing...I best get going on that..Thye ordered the alpha trak for me but I can't afford that right now..and that's all they use so they aren;t familiar with the difference in the readouts I may get...
I have no "sticks" for the monitor but I did see them at Walgreens..
HOPEFULLY this 2 X a day thing is temporary?????????
There was no time to chat when I picked her up since I had to get home, feed, give shot, and run...they increased her dosage to 12 units now...
They stuck her ear 4 X yesterday and it had little holes all in it...I just don;t like this at all...I don't think she will go for the lip.....and I don't know how to set that sticker thing yet or use correct words...one of the techs told me she could train me maybe tomorrow? I hate dragging her there so much...
I am so overwhelmed at this..but no time for a meltdown..She is resting peacefully in her "daybed" and the 7 year olds await...
Sande
Old 11-20-2009, 10:10 AM

Hey Sande!

The easiest thing you can do is check urine! Between myself and my husband we test urine several times a day. We just use our pie pans from Baker's Square and slide it under him!

It is so easy! Then you dip one of the Keto-Diastix in the urine and compare it to the colors on the back of the container it comes in.

This will be one of the easiest and cheapest thing you can do to make sure Bagel is not getting sicker.

It will give you some peace of mind to know that Bagel does not have life-threatening ketones!

Pam
Old 11-20-2009, 11:17 AM
Senior Member and Moderator

Quote:
They want me to keep an AM and PM journal for BG testing and since I got the Ultra 2 One Touch and have NO clue what I am doing...I best get going on that..Thye ordered the alpha trak for me but I can't afford that right now..and that's all they use so they aren;t familiar with the difference in the readouts I may get...
I have no "sticks" for the monitor but I did see them at Walgreens..
Hi Sande,
I just wanted to add I have a OneTouch meter and an Alphatrak and I prefer my OneTouch. Really it's whatever you feel comfortable using. Even my alphatrak is off by 30 points. Once you get the hang of testing you can compare the difference in meter readings. I wouldn't stress about comparing right now.

The OneTouch Ultra meter strips you can pick up at a drugstore but I think some get theirs from www.hocks.com for about 68 cents a strip + shipping. I get mine from ebay for anywhere from 42-48 cents a strip (including shipping). Just check the seller's feedback and that the boxes are factory sealed and expiration dates.

I tried Ali's ear as well. Just couldn't get blood there. I didn't want to use the inner lip either but turned out to be the easiest place for her. If I'm too far forward she doesn't bleed as well. Right across from the canine tooth works for her and it's over so quick once you get the hang of it. Does she like ice cubes? I give Ali some ice chips for a reward once in a while. She thinks its a great special treat. You might start by just handling Bagel's lip a bit without poking and praise her to get used to it.

Just wanted to offer a cheaper place to find strips.
Take care,
Patty
Old 11-20-2009, 04:48 PM

THANK you BOTH..
called one of our favorite techs today and she made me feel I could breathe....

I bought some strips for the Ultra touch at Walgreens tonight..only got 25 but I thought that would help til I find good prices..

Will study the meter a lot tonight...
another question...The lancet came with some (like 10) lancets..
1) can you use them more than once?
2) What number do you set the pen thingie on ????
Was wondering if anyone had tried the skin at the elbow...
Bagel is so smart and doesn't like being messed with ~
oh one more...when I was giving her shot tonight- in her scruffy place on her neck, she yelped...
that has never happened before and I HATED it... was it too shallow maybe and pricked her muscle?
I will be more careful cause that was not good..
ok thanks ..I am almost ready...;-)
Sande