Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 11-30-2020, 11:49 PM

Default Re: Pray for mochi..

If Mochi just needs fluids without other medications added to the fluids, I don't see why you couldn't stay on the sub q fluids at home. The fluids are the same regardless if they are sub q or IV. Just administered differently. Sub q just takes a little more time to absorb.

I'd continue taking him to the vet for regular bloodwork while he is going through this pancreatitis so the vet can keep an eye on things. But if your vet thinks that sub q fluids are o.k. for him, I would stay on them so Mochi can be at home instead of being left at the vet since it causes him so much stress.
Old 12-01-2020, 01:05 AM

He seems to be doing so much worse today...last night he threw up his food and this morning and tonight he threw up bile like slimey white stuff..
He sounds super gasy..as I keep hearing little burps..
He won't even sleep right now because he's so uncomfortable...he's just been sitting down..

He is also on a acid medication called omeprazole and antibiotics called zeniquin and pain meds tramadol..

Its so painful seeing him go through this again...

I was told by my vet that sub q and iv doesn't make a big difference but then 2 other vets told me that he should be hospitalized getting iv for a few days because subq exits out of your system a lot faster..
On 5 units of HumilinN
Old 12-01-2020, 09:56 AM
Founding Member

If it does get worse hospitalization may be required . Mild cases can be managed at home with reduced food intake and withholding food altogether to give the pancreas a break . There is a point in the progression of the disease that home care is not enough

Most dogs recover from pancreatitis with the correct care even with more sever cases

If you feel your vet isn't giving the care that is needed a second opinion maybe helpful . You do have some experience with the disease so you have seen what has worked in the past that may give you a guide on what to do now
Old 12-01-2020, 10:44 AM

This time his pancreatitis is very different. He seemed to be still eating and acting ok even though I knew something was going on inside.
Since the beginning of November he seemed to not be as interested to eat even though he still finishes his entire meal. As severe as the bloodwork is shown for his pancreas he was still eating and had energy to play and go for walks.
But after the first vet visit when we left him in the hospital for a day last week for iv he totally flipped..and all the symptoms are showing more.

We haven't fasted him since my vet said not to because a diabetic dog needs to eat. My dad and I kept trying to make him eat his full meal..but now we're reducing it to half...I was going to take him to the hospital this morning for iv but hes fast asleep snoring so I didnt want to take him.

Should we be not giving him food at all during the middle of the day? Sometimes we give him a bit of chicken.
On 5 units of HumilinN
Old 12-01-2020, 11:29 AM
Founding Member

Thats not true . A diabetic dog can take insulin (reduced amount )without food . My jesse has done it for over 10 years and probably that has been the problem continuing to feed with an inflamed pancreas

Many vets are still not well versed in many aspects of diabetes
Old 12-01-2020, 11:52 AM

Thank you for letting me know that.
We will decrease his amount of food to just a little bit and not give him any chicken during the day..

My vet said he might go into Diabetic ketoacidosis if we don't give him any food.
On 5 units of HumilinN
Old 12-01-2020, 11:57 AM
Founding Member

That usually occurs with high blood sugar but if your managing blood sugar with a reduced does of insulin that should not be a problem . The concern is the pancreatitis which can be life threatening
Old 12-01-2020, 12:59 PM

He's still able to walk around the house and seems alert..

I don't know if it's all the medication given to him that's causing him to feel more sick.

Should we just be keeping everything to the minimum and not even walk him that much?
On 5 units of HumilinN
Old 12-01-2020, 03:40 PM
Founding Member

He has a serious affliction so you would want to treat it so . Doing normal things when healthy may not be appropriate with pancreatitis . If it was jesse exercise would be pulled back . I think you can do some but the montra is all about healing . I think if you follow some tested and true protocols with the disease Mochi will be on his way back in a couple weeks but you dont want to let your guard down because relapse is possible .

You still would like to rethink what the trigger may have been and avoid in the future . sometimes you can narrow it down and may discover some things that may have contributed to the cause.
Old 12-01-2020, 04:08 PM

Thank you Jesse girl,

I've been going in circles trying to think what caused it..he had his bloodwork done in October and everything was good...

I think he might've picked something up off the ground or ate something he shouldn't have. He's been on the same low fat diet for 3 years.

The only thing that's different is we've been giving him a bit of dried chicken breast treats when we go for walks because he doesnt really like walking so we have to bribe him with it.
On 5 units of HumilinN