Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We lost our Fight for Beau, my heart breaks!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Help with Beau

I do have another question. If I give him r like 2.5u and his normal dose of NPH is now 37u am, 38upm, do I still give him the same amount of NPH and just add the 2.5u of r to the same syringe? Or do I lower his Humilin, and do I just give him the r in the morning? I am sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure I understand this correct before I do anything. As you see I did bump him up a whole unit in am, and pm.
    Loretta & Beau diagnoised Sept 2010, Wellness Core Reduced Fat & Wellness Core Senior canned food, once a day 1/4 cup pure pumpkin.
    Passed on to the rainbow bridge Dec. 11, 2012.

Comment

if the pattern is the same am and pm and you get that spike after mealtime it maybe appropriate to give at both times i would start small 1 unit at both times leave nph the same

this probably is a low starting dose but its best to go slow with a new insulin and you dont know how it will affect the whole pattern

if you see a lower fasting number at shot and mealtime for now i would consider anything under mid 200s you may want to hold off with the r at that time

what your goal is is to slow down that spike and maybe over time contain it altogether by slowly raising the dose of r and watching how the overall pattern is affected
      Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
      Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Agree with Jesse Girl.

Doubt one unit of R will make much of any difference, but you need to start low, for both safety and piece of mind. Then think about increasing the R slowly until you see the food spike decrease.

If you use only one syringe, be sure you understand that you draw the R first, and then the NPH. I think the procedure is stated on the insert that comes packed with the insulin vials, or Google for mixing instructions.

This is my procedure:
        I mix 1.5 units of R, and 7.25 units of NPH, 8.75 units total

1. I roll / mix the vial of NPH (no need to roll the clear R)
        2. Inject about 7.25 air into the NPH vial. Do not draw in any insulin.
        3. Move the syringe to the R vial and inject about 1.5 air. Draw out the 1.5 units of R
        4. Carefully reinsert the syringe into the NPH vial and withdraw the 7.25 units of NPH, that would be to the 8.75 units mark on the syringe.

Be very careful never to squirt insulin back into the NPH vial. There have been several times where I've screwed up and my big fingers have caused me to withdraw too much NPH into the syringe. I simply discard that syringe full into the sink and start over. Just go slow and think each step. If there is any doubt, discard into the sink and do it again. Hope this makes sense.

This last part reminds me of a saying we often used in the military: "If there's a doubt, there's no doubt". Meaning if you have any doubt what you're doing, there's no doubt that you'll stop and rethink / do the task again.
        Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

If it's not one thing it's another, now Beau has maroon color in his stool. It has been like this for 2 days, so yesterday I took in a stool sample to the vet to be checked. I called today and they said it was negative for any paracites. I said I brought it in to be checked for blood they said oh sorry they should never told you that can be checked, only parasites. I am so upset, since our vet has left I don't have a good vet anymore. Beau appears fine, eating well, walking, running, no vomiting, no diahrea, gums are nice and pink. Any thoughts, I am going crazy now, I have researched online and maroon colored stool they say comes from the colon. I don't know what to do, but I can tell you I'm not getting any sleep and can't eat worring about him. I can't believe the vets office messed up so bad.
          Loretta & Beau diagnoised Sept 2010, Wellness Core Reduced Fat & Wellness Core Senior canned food, once a day 1/4 cup pure pumpkin.

Comment

Any new meds that might make a difference in stool?
            Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

The new medication that he has been on for 10 days is a steroid and antibiotic
              it has Neomycin and Polymycin B Sulfates and Dexamethasone Opthalmic Suspension for an eye issue. No other meds or no changes in diet.

Comment

Could it be from the beet pulp?
                Jane and Franklin, 8 years, maltese, currently 6.4kg, Australia. Cushing's with elevated hormones dx'd 2009/2010, proteinuria, epilepsy, diabetes dx'd July 2012. Phenobarb 30mg bid, 3mg melatonin bid, lignans sid, caninsulin 4.8u bid (a work in progress). Diet- home cooked. Blind from cataracts January 2013, sighted from surgery February 2013.

Comment

You know I was thinking that because it is the same reddish purple color of beets, but he has eaten beets pulp for 2 years and this has never happened before. I have tried to do some research on it and have come up empty. I was wondering if it is possible if it has buildt up because we have been using it for 2 years. I don't know it all seems a mystery to me. Beau is happy, hungry, playful but this odd colored poop is just so scarry.

Comment

Hmm, I would think its the beets.
                    Zoe: 12 yr old Black Lab/shepherd mix. Diagnosed 6/1/11. Currently on 15 units Novolin NPH 2x day, and hopefully as close to regulated as possible. Feeding merrick Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato. Weight 63lbs.

Comment

I'm leaning towards beets as well. BUT...we check people stool for blood all the time at the lab so it CAN be done! Maybe not at the office but probably another lab they can send it to. They can also do a cytology on it which would indicate blood cells/bacteria/viruses vs just parasites. It's something you have to be VERY specific in requesting as I found out myself when I asked for a stool culture (in which they grow it out to see what kind of bacteria are in it and what might be causing a problem) and got a parasite check. I asked them why no culture and apparantly, dog stool is loaded with bacteria and is nearly impossible to get a good culture on with everything growing. So they do the cytology instead to at least look for blood cells/cells/bacteria, etc. Can ask for either an occult blood test or a cytology test next time. Still leaning towards beets this time tho.
                      Shell and Hank (aka Mr. Pickypants) - now deceased (4/29/1999 - 12/4/2015) Cairn Terrier mix who was diagnosed 8/18/2011 and on .75 U Levemir 2Xday. Miss you little man!

Comment

I was thinking the same thing... wouldn't they just put a smear on a slide and look for blood cells?

But maroon doesn't sound like blood to me. Sounds more like something eaten with red dye in it. Digested blood would be black and tarry. Fresh blood would look like blood.

Any chance he got into something else with coloring in it?

Natalie

Comment

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/stool-color/an00772

Stool Color: Bright red

What It May Mean
                          Bleeding in the lower intestinal tract, such as the large intestine or rectum, often from hemorrhoids.

Possible dietary causes
                          Red food coloring, beets, cranberries, tomato juice or soup, red gelatin or drink mixes.

Comment

• Started Novolin Today Not Good

We have been trying to get Beau regulated for 2 years and just recently we have been happy with his curves till today. We ran out of the Humulin N and had to start the Novolin N. I wish all of us that are having this problem would go to Walmart or send letters to Corporate to carry Humulin N again. I just can't afford the cost of Humulin N at 58.00 a bottle when Beau goes through a bottle every 2 weeks. Anyone else have any ideas?

Comment

• Re: Started Novolin Today Not Good

with any change it does take the body time to adjust some faster than others

Walmart has done this before and we were all using novolin at the time

i believe the only way they can give this lower price is the manufacture is willing to sell at this price

there has been quite a few changes of insulin for our dogies over the years and expect it in the future

its possible nph could leave the market in the future for existing products or new ones entering the market

the problem is this is all humane insulin it doesnt seem like any manufactures are interested in providing a dog insulin at this time and i really dont think they have a good grasp on understanding it so for the most part we are on are own working together to find what works to keep our babies as safe as possible and enjoying life
                              Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                              Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

• Re: Started Novolin Today Not Good

What are you seeing that you don't like? I started Novolin on 11-1 and so far have had to make a small reduction, but I think I'm getting a handle on it (time will tell).

by the way, you would have hated Vetsulin that most of us were using 4+ years ago. Only got 400 units in a vial and cost $65-70
                                Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Working...
                                X