Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Cara

Originally posted by Shellie View Post
    Yep...I'm still in the 'oh god, now what do I do' stage! LOL I'm beginning to wonder if I actually told Hank he has diabetes...maybe he'd cooperate more?
    Yep, Shell, maybe a "nose to nose" (instead of heart to heart) talk would do some good. Can't hurt--he's already not cooperating!

Mary
    Ruffles May 1997~~12/6/2010~~She was "a heartbeat at our feet"~~
    Izzy--BD unknown;~~ RIP 7/13/2013 ~~; she was a sweet Yorkie spirit and we miss her
    Bella--Yorkie rescue; BD 9/2013 +/-; RIP 5/2015
    Ruby--senior Yorkiepoo foster

Comment

Shelley,
      Been there, done that! Cara did not eat either in the beginning...panic city....nose to nose or heart to heart...nothing would work. However, she is proof that they do change their way in the long run!!!!
      So, you keep up the good work !

GOOD LUCK!!
      Marion

Comment

Goodmorning!
        This morning Cara's fasting BG was 445, when she went to bed last nite she was 259.
        Now, when she was wel regulated on Caninsulin she would do the same thing on occasions, but after her shot after breakfast, she always bounced back within 2 hrs.
        My vet at the time called this "over-swing" and did not believe me that she bounced back within 2 hrs....untill I showed my records! And even then he was doubtful.
        I know "rebound" happens after hypo during the nite, or long acting insulin.
        But has anybody heard of "Dawn Phenomenan" ? Apparently some release of hormones that triger liver to put out glucose. If there is not enough insulin there will be a rise in BG and high reading pre breakfast...which will settle again after breakfast and shot.
        I don't know what to think of this!
        Any thoughts?

PS. This is day 5 on 7 units! I might keep going for an other day or so
        Last edited by Cara's Mom; 10-21-2011, 11:22 AM.
        Marion

Comment

I think waiting a bit longer on a dose adjustment is a good idea

things did get out of whack for a bit and beginning a new insulin it appears you are seeing lower numbers and it is possible you may be seeing some rebounding or some kind of response from the body in that case raising the dose could see a more dramatic variation in blood sugar so thats what you might look for with any additional dose adjustments up in the future

it can be difficult determining the reason for variations in blood sugar so take things step by step level by level and you and you baby will cross the finish line
          Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
          Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

You see there is that patience-thing creeping in again! Wanting to fix, what might not need fixing, instead of stepping back and watching a bit longer!

Thanks Jesse Girl!
            Marion

Comment

Just talked to my vet and he agrees to keep Cara on 7 units a few more days!

And he mentioned that he is putting ALL his Diabetic patients on NPH, because of trouble with CANINSULIN delivery and perfoms!! So to all the Canadians on this block:

PLEASE BE AWARE!!
              Last edited by Cara's Mom; 10-21-2011, 03:07 PM.
              Marion

Comment

Originally posted by Cara's Mom View Post
                Shelley,
                Been there, done that! Cara did not eat either in the beginning...panic city....nose to nose or heart to heart...nothing would work. However, she is proof that they do change their way in the long run!!!!
                So, you keep up the good work !

GOOD LUCK!!
                It's hearing things like that that keep me going! Every time he gets picky or I get down...I know there is probably a light at the end of the tunnel if only I can hold on a bit more. Thanks for the hand holding!

Hugs!
                Shell and Hank (aka Mr. Pickypants) - now deceased (4/29/1999 - 12/4/2015) Cairn Terrier mix who was diagnosed 8/18/2011 and on .75 U Levemir 2Xday. Miss you little man!

Comment

Originally posted by MaryLea View Post
                  Yep, Shell, maybe a "nose to nose" (instead of heart to heart) talk would do some good. Can't hurt--he's already not cooperating!

Mary
                  Not sure on the nose to nose, Mary. He has bad breath.
                  Shell and Hank (aka Mr. Pickypants) - now deceased (4/29/1999 - 12/4/2015) Cairn Terrier mix who was diagnosed 8/18/2011 and on .75 U Levemir 2Xday. Miss you little man!

Comment

Originally posted by Shellie View Post
                    Not sure on the nose to nose, Mary. He has bad breath.
                    Here's the plan: write out the speech; make it short and to the point. Take a deep breath; get nose-to-nose with Hank and deliver your message. HaHa!

Oh, well, it was worth a thought, if not a try. (Would he eat cinnamon on his cat food? They say that helps bad breath. )

Mary
                    Ruffles May 1997~~12/6/2010~~She was "a heartbeat at our feet"~~
                    Izzy--BD unknown;~~ RIP 7/13/2013 ~~; she was a sweet Yorkie spirit and we miss her
                    Bella--Yorkie rescue; BD 9/2013 +/-; RIP 5/2015
                    Ruby--senior Yorkiepoo foster

Comment

HOUSTON....WE HAVE LIFT-OFF!

Look at these #! What a way to start the day!

5:30 - 16.2(291) fasting
                      7:30 - 17.4 (313)
                      10:00- 12.90 (232) After walk

Now a matter of checking regular...but right now there is enough room!
                      Marion

Comment

Marion....yay! Those look uberly nice!!! Isn't it great when the numbers look good!

Mary...working on speech now...should I cry during it? Sympathy vote from the dog?

Comment

• Re: We're back!!!!

Marion!!!! so good to see you back and glad you found a buddy for that beauty Cara. Welcome!
                          Forbin, miss you every day. See you at the bridge Buddy.

Comment

• Re: We're back!!!!

Hello Peggy!!!
                            Thanks for the Welcome Back! It's good to be back..........too bad most of the old gang are gone! But that's life!
                            So sorry about Forbin......

Love,
                            Marion

Comment

Yes #'s were good.....in the morning! During the day they came back up and ended day with a nasty 400!!
                              But there is always the next day.......
                              Fasting BG this morning 300, little higher, but Ill take it.

How did your speech go?
                              Marion

Comment

We prefer to stay in the 300's! LOL Nasty old 400!

And didn't do speech yet...probably should have as breakfast ended up as a cheese stick and a portion of a pumpkin muffin. *sigh*

Comment

Working...
                                X