Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 01-31-2017, 08:36 AM

Default Re: Relion/Walmart insulin and much more- HELP needed

I am currently using novolin n from Walmart and the relion meter from them also. Have had great results. Now I need to know how often to test? Should it be once daily, twice daily? Also how often should I curve her?
Old 01-31-2017, 09:11 AM
Founding Member

I test before every dose of insulin i give jesse as a permanent part of her daily routine and sometimes a bit more if she is higher or lower . Of course if jesse is acting odd i will test her and sometimes she asks me to test her funny girl

during the regulation process a curve once a week is prudent to decide what you want to do on dosing.

Once regulation is achieved a curve may not be needed unless things get out of whack and that would be determined from the daily routine testing to catch a change in regulation .
Old 01-31-2017, 10:52 AM

Our routine is to test before breakfast (and we tweak the insulin dose according to where his blood sugar is).

We then also test around 3pm to check that he is high enough to last until teatime. He tends to drop quite sharply in the later afternoon so sometimes he gets a little snack to prop up his sugar level so we know he will then last until tea around 6.30pm. He usually gets most exercise late afternoon so it is easy for his levels to drop low.

We rarely do curves these days (diagnosed more than 4 years ago) but they are very useful in the earlier days to learn what your dog's pattern is. Curves taught us that our dog can drop down very quickly in the late afternoon, especially with some activity.

If anything seems to be a bit unusual then we do additional tests.

Antonia
Old 01-31-2017, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farrwf View Post
Great, we'll be looking forward to following Willie's journey.

BTW, what's the 19 yo's name, and how much does he / she weigh & insulin dose?
Pokes (unfortunate choice of name when we adopted him from a shelter at age 13) weighs 6-7 lbs, has been diabetic since last fall and is recently blind- vet says cataracts. He gets 2 units/twice a day and has always had great numbers.
Between 100-150 no matter when we have him tested. We thought diabetes was a piece of cake with dogs because of Pokes.

Though checking his blood sugar will be very interesting....
Old 02-01-2017, 11:16 AM

Reminds me of another pooch I came across years ago. In fact, it was shortly after I adopted Otis. We were in an upscale "pet paraphernalia" shop looking for "Pug stuff".

There was a very large, "laid back" Golden Retriever lying on the floor. Well, the shop owner asked about Otis and as soon as she found out Otis was a virile and potent 6 month old male Pug, ... the first words she had were "You're gonna have him "fixed", aren't you?". She continued, ... "We had Woody "fixed" when he was 6 months old." I told her I would never do that to Otis, and couldn't believe she named her Golden "Woody" after disabling him. ... received a disapproving look from her.
Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dadís loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Last edited by farrwf; 02-01-2017 at 03:07 PM.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:17 PM

Bahahaha😂🤣
Laura & Charlie 29 lb male lhasapoo diagnosed October 2013. 16ish units of Novolin N. 1 & 1/3 cup of Natural Balance Fat Dog twice a day. An egg with breakfast and chicken with dinner. Shares string cheese with us late afternoon. Cyclosporine ointment for KCS. Blind from cataracts January 2014. Crossed the rainbow bridge 2/1/2016 at 14.5 years
Old 02-01-2017, 11:23 PM
Administrator

Hi Lauren!

As others have noted, Willie is nowhere near insulin resistant. He's currently on a small to normal dose for his weight.

Plus, since his urination and drinking have decreased and he's no longer having accidents, I'm sure his blood sugar is significantly lower than the 500s for large parts of the day.

He could be having quite large swings in his blood sugar - going from mid-500s to as low as 100s and then back up again. That kind of swing won't show in urine tests, which collect urine over hours and would read high from when the blood sugar was 400s and 500s even though the current blood sugar could be much much lower.

Consequently, as others noted, I would not raise his insulin dose until you get some blood sugar tests done during the day and evening at various times to see how LOW his blood sugar is going.

The insulin dose should always be based on the LOWEST blood sugar between injections. Precisely because there can be big differences between the highest and the lowest reading.

Let's say, just as an example, his blood sugar is 550 at breakfast and then falls to 100 at about noon (I have seen dogs have such large swings in blood sugar).

If, under that case, you increase the dose of insulin, you will drive down the 550 at breakfast but you will ALSO drive down the 100 at noon - potentially into hypoglycemia, which can be fatal.

So it's really important to find out what the lowest blood sugar is and base the insulin dose on that.

Then, if there are big swings in blood sugar, there are ways to flatten out the curve - such as when you feed and inject, snacks, different kind of food that better matches the action of the insulin.

So if you can get going on testing as soon as possible and keep him at 4 units twice a day for now, you want to work up to a serial blood sugar curve using your meter at home and taking readings at least every two hours starting with breakfast and going as late into the evening as you can.

Post the numbers and we will help you interpret them.

Natalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren View Post
Willie has been to the vet weekly for retesting with BGs of 500-600 consistently. Each time we raised his insulin dose some. He is now on 4 units/twice daily.
Last glucose at vet was yesterday morning = 567.

We're not seeing significant drinking/peeing, accidents in house have disappeared. No ketones in urine but tons of glucose in urine of course.
Old 02-07-2017, 05:18 AM

I finally got the test results for Willie yesterday. His thyroid panel was normal and his low dose dex testing was hugely abnormal....but at least the (new) vet read all the stuff I printed out about insulin resistance and Cushings and believes as I do from the Dr Petersen post on Rex, that it is way too soon to talk about Cushings.
His glucose was I think nearly 500 as it has been for just over a month. That is from the testing that was done over a week ago...and his alk phos was almost normal!

Anyway his in-office glucose on their Alphatrak yesterday morning was 277!!
That is the lowest number we have seen yet.
And on 6 units/twice daily. (On my Relion meter it was 200.)

Also he has gained 1/2 pound and is now 17.5 lbs.

The vet wants me to put him on Science Diet w/d and reduce his insulin to 3 units/twice daily.
That would be cutting his insulin in half and I am pretty sure would mean a return to urine ketones.

So please respond at will.

Thanks so much
Old 02-07-2017, 06:43 AM

The change to w/d (which is the food my dog is on), may make the sugar levels level out, in that the w/d has more fiber and takes longer to digest. You won't know until you switch the food and test him to see his curve from the change. Lowering the insulin by 2 units seems a bit much, but that's just my opinion. If anything, I might try the food change and see what his levels look like in a curve after a couple days. If too low, then lower the insulin a unit or half unit, and be sure to test throughout the day to see the effects - too high or too low of sugar. When changing the insulin amount, they say to allow a week to 10 days for the body to settle into the new dose.

Again, just my opinion. I'm sure others will chime in. My dog was in the 400-500 range for months and took 9 months to get him where he's at now. We were lucky to not have ketones.
10.5 yr mini-schnauzer, diagnosed Sept. 2015, currently 17.5 units Novolin N 2x day; diet W/D, tblsp pumpkin, Advocate PetTester tester/strips & Alpha-Trak2 for alternative (when I question weird BG readings); blind as of March 1, 2016
Old 02-08-2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomofGus View Post
The change to w/d (which is the food my dog is on), may make the sugar levels level out, in that the w/d has more fiber and takes longer to digest. You won't know until you switch the food and test him to see his curve from the change. Lowering the insulin by 2 units seems a bit much, but that's just my opinion. If anything, I might try the food change and see what his levels look like in a curve after a couple days. If too low, then lower the insulin a unit or half unit, and be sure to test throughout the day to see the effects - too high or too low of sugar. When changing the insulin amount, they say to allow a week to 10 days for the body to settle into the new dose.

Again, just my opinion. I'm sure others will chime in. My dog was in the 400-500 range for months and took 9 months to get him where he's at now. We were lucky to not have ketones.
Willie has ketones so we are going back up in insulin. It is very difficult for me to pay such an outrageous amount of money for a dogfood with wheat and corn as the first ingredients.
I am still considering ordering it.

My single largest concern at the beginning of this adventure was whether or not Willie had insulin resistance via hypothyroidism or Cushings.
Now that I have those two questions answered I am just dealing with diabetes...

I would love to read more about your "diabetes adventure" with your dog.

I have a 19 yo blind chi who has been insulin dependent for 6-7 months and a son age 26 who was insulin dependent at age 2.

Thank you for your opinion.