Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 11-25-2014, 06:16 PM

Default Re: Since it's so quiet, how about an update?

Oh gosh Holli and Amy, that certainly puts everything into perspective.

We all do have blessed lives.
Laura & Charlie 29 lb male lhasapoo diagnosed October 2013. 16ish units of Novolin N. 1 & 1/3 cup of Natural Balance Fat Dog twice a day. An egg with breakfast and chicken with dinner. Shares string cheese with us late afternoon. Cyclosporine ointment for KCS. Blind from cataracts January 2014. Crossed the rainbow bridge 2/1/2016 at 14.5 years
Old 11-25-2014, 11:14 PM

Today was the tenth anniversary of losing my Golden (on thanksgiving) to a fast hitting illness. Shelby was six years old and a gentle sweetheart of a girl always ready to give love. She had a habit of coming up to you and poking her nose to your thighs until you gave her room enough to stand between your legs. She'd then march her hind legs and wag her tail. Tonight when I got home from a trip to the store and was unpacking groceries, I suddenly felt a doggy nose nudging my thighs from behind...it was Grayson...who then parked himself between my legs and forced a time-out to collect some loving. It was as though something told him that he should do that - perhaps Shelby just saying hello?
Grayson - 95lb black lab, 10yrs old, diagnosed 3/22/14 - Novolin N (27units) and Merrick Grain Free Buffalo and Sweet Potato dry food - Novox 100mg twice daily & a Cosequin supplement - Alphatrak2 & One Touch Mini
Old 11-26-2014, 06:29 PM

So my entertaining update of the day.......apparently, I did not leave the bathroom door completely closed. And apparently, Spirit thinks that shredding toilet paper off the roll is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!! I now have a trail of shredded toilet paper all the way up and down the hallway :-) I knew she was being too quiet!
Sparky Love, diagnosed March 5, 2014. Enrolled in Kinostat study to prevent cataract formation. Pancreatitis June 16, 2014 - hospitalized for 6 days in the ICU. Went to the Rainbow Bridge June 23, 2014. I love you very much, baby.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayson View Post
Today was the tenth anniversary of losing my Golden (on thanksgiving) to a fast hitting illness. Shelby was six years old and a gentle sweetheart of a girl always ready to give love. She had a habit of coming up to you and poking her nose to your thighs until you gave her room enough to stand between your legs. She'd then march her hind legs and wag her tail. Tonight when I got home from a trip to the store and was unpacking groceries, I suddenly felt a doggy nose nudging my thighs from behind...it was Grayson...who then parked himself between my legs and forced a time-out to collect some loving. It was as though something told him that he should do that - perhaps Shelby just saying hello?
Yes, definitely Shelby saying hello.
Sparky Love, diagnosed March 5, 2014. Enrolled in Kinostat study to prevent cataract formation. Pancreatitis June 16, 2014 - hospitalized for 6 days in the ICU. Went to the Rainbow Bridge June 23, 2014. I love you very much, baby.
Old 11-27-2014, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amydunn19 View Post
It is very tough when those kind of tragedies happen around you. I have a couple of good friends who have gotten the worst news myself. One is my dog trainer who never feeds her dog anything less than the best and who does everything right. Her rescued border collie at 7 years old started feeling off on a Monday evening and by Wednesday, she was in kidney failure and made a small comeback but by the next Monday, they had to let her go. No explanation of what happened - she was great one minute and not the next. She has been the dog that taught so many of her client's dogs to trust other dogs - she was amazing with my schnauzer and when she started attending Mya's sessions, Mya became more of a regular dog. It was just an unbelievable loss.

Another friend and customer, who I am very close to found out she has pancreatic cancer the same week. She has only eaten organic food, never drank alcohol heavily, smoked, or used drugs, and always exercised and kept herself in great shape. It is just a terrible feeling to see people go through so much. This lady has two beautiful bichons who she lives for. I know she worries because her husband is much older and even though he loves the dogs, I know she is a little concerned because they are her babies.

These things have caused me to stop and think - to make more time for the people and furry four legged people who really matter.
Sorry to read this Amy. Prayers for your friend/customer. I'm sorry for the loss of your friend's border collie and your loss as well.
Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!
Old 12-04-2014, 12:38 PM

I added a couple more pictures of Spirit - one of her at the lake wearing her little pink life vest, and the other a timeline of her Christmas pictures. Baby girl is growing up so fast!
Old 12-04-2014, 03:37 PM

What a great idea Natalie. It is so nice to read about everyone and their fur babies.

Life has been a little hectic also for us. I suffered from labyrinthitis and lost the hearing in my left ear. A year later, the loss was confirmed as permanent and I am now scheduled to go for hearing aids fitting (microphone in the deaf ear and hearing aid in the good ear). Single side deafness is a lot harder to adjust to than I ever imagined.

My sister who lost her son last year on Valentine day got quite sick and passed on August 8. Because I did not yet have to OK to fly, had to travel by train to Montreal and leaving from where I live, it turned out to be a 9-hour trip spread over 2 days in each direction. I was able to get there on time to say my final goodbyes and had to help clear out and give away her furniture, clothes, sort out papers etc and came back with pneumonia.

We have listed our house and are planning to move closer to the kids and grandchildren. That would be about 4 hours away from where we live now.

We (I) got really peed off with our vet seeing how he didn't really care to investigate how he could help Angus when we realized how sick he was when we adopted him, I fired him and found a wonderful vet who is a great diagnotician and has been terrific for both Cleo and Angus that we adopted March 2013.

My old girl Cleo is now 14+, partially deaf and blind, sometimes shows signs of senility but is still enjoying a good quality of life. We got her a carriage and the princess now does half her walk in the carriage and walks the other half. She is getting heart medications which have helped prolonged her life. Also getting a monthly injection of Cartrophen for her severe arthritis and degeneration.

After 14 months of a multitude of tests, x-rays, ultra sound, food and med changes, we had finally stabilize Angus and he was doing terrific. No more explosive vomiting and severe diarrhea with significant blood loss.

Lo and behold, last week we had a storm accompanied by a 2-day power outage and Angus started shivering and not feeling well. At first we thought it was the colitis acting up and we are now so thankful that we recognize the subtle differences and we rushed him to the vet. He now has Addison and started the treatment this past Tuesday and today, we have seen some improvements. I am just hoping and praying that I don't come back to this board one day because of diabetes. This little guy has gone through hell and back and he is such a sweet little dog (also a Westie) like Cleo.

My boy Buddy's ashes are still with us in the family room and I very seldom go to bed without winking at his picture or asking him to help me find the right solution to Angus' problems.

To all who are having health challenges and coping with loss of friends and family members, I send you all a great big virtual hug and healing and positive vibes.

Of course, a great big belly rub for your furbabies

Louise
Old 12-04-2014, 04:47 PM

Great update, Louise. Not a doubt, Buddy's winking back.
Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dadís loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.
Old 12-05-2014, 07:40 PM

Well, this weekend I am competing in my first ever agility trial. I was doing agility with Sparky and was getting close to being able to compete with him when he got sick and passed away. Then when I got Spirit, I coincidentally met someone who had been training her dog to do agility, but she was afraid to actually compete (the owner, not the dog). So she asked if I would consider competing with her dog. It worked out awesome because even though agility trials are in Spirit's future, she's still very young and has to do limited training to protect her body until she's full grown. So now I have a dog to compete with and really, practice on, and by the time Spirit is ready to compete I should have a lot of the kinks worked out.

Anyway, tomorrow and Sunday are my first tries at actually competing. Paws crossed things will go well. Or at least that nothing disastrous happens. I know that Sparky is watching over me though, and protecting me and he will help me out if he can.
Old 12-06-2014, 07:02 PM

Day 1 of the agility trial complete. We didn't do as well as I had hoped but we got out there and had a lot of fun, and that's ultimately what matters. One of my friends did OUTSTANDING and got first place - and told me that her run was in memory of Sparky. I'm so lucky to have friends like that :-)