Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 12-28-2014, 03:49 PM

Default A Yorkie Story

This time last year our beautiful Yorkshire Terrier, Clyde, rapidly went from around 5kg (about 11 lbs) to 3.8kg. He was being monitored for pancreatitis at the time, but this sudden deterioration was more than scary, especially alongside many other symptoms. With trepidation we took him to the vets on the Monday morning, and yes, he had diabetes. My poor little boy! He received an immediate injection of Caninsulin and I got a crash course in administering his injections, and managing his condition. By the Wednesday he vet was able to get a reading of 16 - progress. It took a couple of months to get consistent readings 4.7 (I think from reading other posts the US system is different. Normal is considered between 4 - 7, so 4.7 is excellent.) Clyde was soon back to his old self, apart from a thinner coat and needing to gain weight. We switched him from a barf diet to a prescription diabetic kibble. Fortunately he isn't fussy and will always eat.

He went from strength to strength - and then developed cataracts, very rapidly. I know some dogs can cope with losing their vision, but Clyde was frightened, bewildered and sad. So, at the age of 13 he went through dental treatment and then cataract surgery. He made a great recovery, although it wasn't possible to give him replacement lenses.

My reason for coming onto this forum last night was because I was searching for information about what to do after he ate some chocolate I dropped on the floor. I was overwhelmed by the breadth and depth of knowledge of all you amazing carers, and I realised I've found a place to share this journey.

We're coping at the moment with losing Clyde's litter mate brother, Rusty. We said a sad farewell to a gorgeous, feisty little character on 8th November when his short battle against kidney failure became too much to let him bear. He was noisy, inquisitive, mischievous and boisterous. Clyde misses hims as much as we do. In one year we've gone from having one dog at death's door, only to lose the other one. Sorry this is a long first post, I hope I'm not breaking any rules.
Old 12-28-2014, 04:12 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Default Re: A Yorkie Story

Welcome to the forum and that was a nice first post

I don't have any comments concerning the chocolate incident. Just know, as you, that it should be avoided.

Look like we now have 3 - 4 active UK members.

Craig
Old 12-28-2014, 04:56 PM

Craig - thank you for your welcome! There doesn't seem to be a UK equivalent of this forum. It's clear that you have all travelled this journey and I'm in awe of all your knowledge. We feel lucky that our vet is fantastic and I can ring him any time I'm worried, but it's wonderful to have other people with diabetic fur babies to share experiences with.

The chocolate incident sent me into panic mode. It was just one square (10g) of 48% cocoa solids, but with such a tiny dog I was worried! I found a couple of toxicity meters online which helped to reassure me, and Clyde seems none the worse for his illegal snack.
Old 12-28-2014, 07:06 PM
Founding Member

hi and welcome

yes having a couple senior dogs and or medical challenges can be a bit difficult knowing time can be short but i try to learn a lesson from the dog living in the moment and not worrying to much about the future . easier said then done but i try
Old 12-29-2014, 01:38 AM

Thank you. In the last couple of weeks of Clyde's brother's life we had 2 different charts on the go, keeping track of all their meds etc. We still keep a chart on the fridge door to keep track of Clyde's injections, food and other medication. I find it reassuring to have everything written down! Is this a bit sad? I just want to do the very best I can for my brave little boy.
Old 12-31-2014, 04:52 AM

Hi Clydesmum, I'm just catching up with posts and finding my way around this forum. It's so good to find some support - there's not a whole lot available in the UK.

Sorry to hear about losing Rusty - must be very hard for you all.

Our Webley (a border terrier) too was diagnosed 12 months ago - 3 January - sticks in the mind for some reason ... After four months though he came off insulin as we couldn't keep his sugar levels up to 'normal'. Alarm bells should have rung - we were cautious, so kept doing urine analysis (not brave enough to blood test at home, yet!). In October his blood sugar went through the roof and became obvious when he became incontinent. We're now moe stbale, but not low enough.

It sounds like Clyde has found some stability, and fabulous owners, which is brilliant. We're still working on/with/for Webley - but he has rediscovered some of his joie de vivre and loves going to the vet (we are blessed!).

Hopefully, as the new year comes in, the weather brightens and the sun comes out (I can wish!) you and Clyde will adjust and things will start to look more positive.
Old 01-01-2015, 04:55 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Welcome to you and Clyde! He seems to be doing well. Do you test him at home?

So sorry about Rusty - I lost my other JRT a few years ago. I always thought Maggie would go first because my little boy dog was always really healthy. But he went the ideal way - just went to sleep and never woke up. It is never easy to lose one, no matter how.
Old 01-01-2015, 09:39 PM

Welcome to you and Clyde! This is a great group of people full of knowledge and support.
Sounds like Clyde is one tough little guy and doing fine. I'm sorry for the loss of your Rusty.
I am fairly new to the world of canine diabetes, my Rottie was diagnosed in September of this year. Still working on regulating.

I too hope this new year brings only good things for all our pups!
Chuck-108 lb male Rottweiler, 8 years old. Dx Sept. 24, 2014. 22.5 units of Novolin N 2 x a day. Alpha Track 2. 2 1/2 cup Purina OM Select Blend, 2 x a day. Also mom to 2 Boxer boys, I love my 3 boys-chucksmom aka Kim
Old 01-03-2015, 09:50 PM
Administrator

Aw... so sorry to hear about Rusty. It has been a lot for Clyde and you to go through all at once.

Not only were you not breaking any rules... we encourage long posts! More information is always better. And still we may pepper you with questions.

Natalie
Old 01-04-2015, 03:57 PM

Webley - I'm sorry you are having such a difficult time getting stability. I don't understand why he was taken off insulin if his blood sugar was abnormal (this is my lack of knowledge - not a criticism, I'm trying to understand the condition better.) Well done to you though for keeping an eye on his urine analysis and catching it in time. Clyde is quite happy going to the vets, too - definitely a bonus when we seem to live there sometimes. Yes, it's great to have this amazing support on here. I'm sure the coming of spring will help us and our fur babies. Clyde feels the cold and it's so wet where we live, plus we now have the added worry of Alabama Rot in our area.

amydunn19 - No we don't test Clyde at home. The vet's never suggested it and he's never had a hypo and never refuses his food. But reading all your experiences, I'm wondering if we're missing a trick by not testing him?

chucksmom - I do hope your boy is soon regulated. It must be a worry for you while his levels are going up and down. How old is he?

Natalie - thank you. It's always a bit of a worry on a new forum in case you accidentally upset someone or break a rule. I think I'm going to be asking a lot of questions - there's so much I don't understand, and so much knowledge here.

Thank you all for your kind words about Rusty. I know it's a fact of life when we give our hearts to our doggies that they're going to be broken one day, but at the moment I feel I'm in a strange place - grieving for Rusty but very happy that after a traumatic year we are still blessed with Clyde in our lives. I feel torn in two directions. I know it will get better, but I also know that with Clyde approaching his 14th birthday we must make the most of every day we share his life.