Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 06-28-2015, 09:32 PM

Default Out of control numbers

Wow, apparently it's been 3 1/2 years since I've been on here!! Time flies! Jasmine has seemingly been doing very well, but this spring began rapidly losing her vision. She can no longer enjoy her favorite past time of playing ball because she has NO IDEA where it went.
I brought her to the vet for ear problems last week and we did a blood panel. Her BG came back at 401! She hasn't been drinking or urinating excessively, so I really had no idea. I did test for ketones a couple times since that day, and it fortunately was negative. I finally had enough available hours today to do a curve. Her numbers varied from around 500 to mid 300's at the lowest.
I did change her food to one she gobbles up and enjoys a few months ago (purina pro plan savor). She previously had been on Eukaneuba, but it was really getting to be a struggle to get her to eat. Maybe I should've been monitoring her numbers after the switch? Does this food perhaps have a higher sugar content? If her glucose has been this high for that long, would that be the cause of the rapid decline in her vision? Why didn't she tell me with thirst/urination? Did her body just get used to the high numbers? Can I possibly ask any more consecutive questions?
After doing the curve today, I increased her insulin from 17u to 18u tonight. So far, that made no difference. She is an almost 11 yr old (her bday is July 5) 63 pound Goldendoodle who was diagnosed at the age of 7 when she was a relatively young, very active and fit dog.
Any insights/advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old 06-28-2015, 10:00 PM

Default Re: Out of control numbers

hi

what a cutey. looks like Riles face

you just increased the dose . maybe wait a few days to see the results. looks like your back on track

i know with feeding Riliey any change can raise or lower his blood sugar so the change in food might have raised him
Old 06-28-2015, 10:07 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Welcome back

Did you stay at the same dosage for all this time? Did her weight stay the same, or did she gain a little over the years?

No real telling why the eyesight is giving out now, but I guess that's not uncommon. My Annie went blind after about 6 years. I'm thinking it just finally catches up to some, even with fairly well controlled diabetes.

Annie is also a ball player. We now play ball in the house by bouncing the ball down a hallway. Sometimes she goes right after it, other times she has to hunt, but she still seems to have fun.

Craig
Old 06-29-2015, 09:46 AM

Her insulin dose gradually increased in previous months. She used to be at 13u for quite a while. She began drinking more and having accidents and we settled on 17u for many many months. As I said, she really gave me no indication this time that her BG was high again. Hopefully some more gradual increases will get her back to a good point. We have an appt with a vet ophthalmologist on Th. I just want to make sure she has nothing else going on that will cause her pain; I don't think cataract surgery is on the cards for us given it's price and her age.
Old 06-29-2015, 09:55 AM
Founding Member

yes sometimes they can show few symptoms on injected insulin even with higher numbers. why is a good question

it shows relying on physical symptoms may not be an option that tell us where the numbers are but can be helpful correlating it with home testing

i guess they tested for an infection . many times when regulation has changed that can be a clue to something else medically going on
Old 06-29-2015, 12:14 PM

The reason I asked about any weight gain is that with a heavier weight an insulin increase might be needed?

Craig
Old 06-29-2015, 04:40 PM

She really hasn't gained any significant weight. She's about 5 lbs more now than she was in Feb. 2011 when she was diagnosed, but has been pretty steady for years now. Good thought though!
The other weird thing with her blood work was that her cholesterol was off the charts high. The vet didn't really have any explanations for that. Everything else (other than her glucose) was in fairly normal range.

Last edited by kidpwr4; 06-29-2015 at 04:46 PM.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:26 PM

I have never been able to use symptoms to tell too much with my dog. She usually is opposite to what her symptoms are - one day last week, she drank almost a full bowl of water and I tested her and she was 42. Maggie has been on new medication and of course, it wasn't supposed to affect blood sugar. I have heard that one before!
Old 06-29-2015, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidpwr4 View Post
The other weird thing with her blood work was that her cholesterol was off the charts high. The vet didn't really have any explanations for that. Everything else (other than her glucose) was in fairly normal range.
Elevated lipids are pretty common in diabetic dogs. My Sparky's lipids were so elevated that his serum, which should have been a golden color, was actually grey. The only time I've seen that in a human is when their lipids were greater than 5 times what they should have been.
Sparky Love, diagnosed March 5, 2014. Enrolled in Kinostat study to prevent cataract formation. Pancreatitis June 16, 2014 - hospitalized for 6 days in the ICU. Went to the Rainbow Bridge June 23, 2014. I love you very much, baby.
Old 06-29-2015, 07:54 PM

Thanks for the info, Cara. I did not know that, and apparently neither did my vet! I love this forum! Most Veterinarians don't seem all that well informed about diabetes which continues to surprise me. The new partner at the office that I'm seeing now seems to know more than the other one though.