Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: My Monster Vinny

Thanks All ~

I think you're right Emily, we're close. I'm going to have to get different syringes if I'm only going up 1/4, 1/2 is hard enough!

Tara, I have an AT2 that I'm using AT2 strips with for curves and I've got some FSL for every day like Emily!

When he was on 19.5 he was up in the 300's and very flat, now at 20 he's 200's with a huge drop. (relative to where the numbers are anyway) I'm thinking I may try the pasta for a week and do another curve next weekend, then decide about raising the dose...does that make sense?
    Mel
    Mel: My monster is Vinny! He's a black lab, diagnosed with diabetes June 21, 2013. His birthdate was celebrated the last weekend of May. He left this world on July 27, 2018, he was 12 years old.

Comment

You know, I didn't ask how much rice or pasta!?

We had Chinese last night so had some rice left over...even though Vinny has a history of not eating rice, I thought I'd mix 1/4 cup in and see what happened. I fully expected to see everything gone...except the rice! He was a good boy and ate it all!

His bg at 6 was 271 and at 8 it was 268. Sorry to say, I won't be able to check him again until late.
      Mel
      Mel: My monster is Vinny! He's a black lab, diagnosed with diabetes June 21, 2013. His birthdate was celebrated the last weekend of May. He left this world on July 27, 2018, he was 12 years old.

Comment

We had an interesting weekend with Vinny. Friday he had the weirdest curve I’ve ever seen with him. Saturday he went so low after rough-housing with Bogey, I had to intervene with a milk bone and Karo syrup! Sunday was the only day that seemed to go well!

Last week, I was trying to flatten out his curve by giving him ¼ c of rice with his kibble, so I decided to do a curve on Friday.

313 5:30 am before food and insulin
        308 8 am
        264 10 am
        308 12 pm
        246 4:20 pm (missed 2 pm)
        184 6 pm before food and insulin
        267 8 pm

I don't think the rice is really doing what I need it to.

Saturday, Vinny was at 184 before going outside with Bogey. They started playing pretty hard…it’s bad when you know what they’re doing is going to affect their bg, but you still want them to be dogs, you know? I stayed outside with them and watched Vinny. He had a ball, chasing and play fighting…I noticed his one leg shaking a little and that’s when I put an end to it. His bg was 84 when we went in, 15 minutes later it was 77. I intervened. I didn’t want it to go any lower. After a while it started to go up.

Sunday was good!
        Mel

Comment

I'm glad Sunday was good! Friday wasn't awful.

that is Jenny's only sign of low BG too, trembling back legs. Good Catch!
          Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

why do you not think the it is not working for vinny ? has it not reduced that early drop and actually got a rise

now the rise was larger at a lower fasting and non existent at the higher level . i have seen this with jesse and maybe this is how the body responds to insulin at different levels

now you maybe be able to raise thin insulin a bit but more insulin in the system may see more dramatic drops after exercise

i adjust jesses snack with her routine depending on her fasting
            Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
            Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Originally posted by jesse girl View Post
              why do you not think the it is not working for vinny ? has it not reduced that early drop and actually got a rise

now the rise was larger at a lower fasting and non existent at the higher level . i have seen this with jesse and maybe this is how the body responds to insulin at different levels

now you maybe be able to raise thin insulin a bit but more insulin in the system may see more dramatic drops after exercise

i adjust jesses snack with her routine depending on her fasting
              I guess I was looking at how wobbly his curve now is and that low number at fasting before dinner! How does that work with insulin? I really would rather find a food alternative to more insulin. I was thinking maybe trying some pasta instead of rice.
              Mel

Comment

yes you can try a different carb i think you got enough information from the rice so you can compare the 2 which is so helpful

i think your experiment was successful as far as removing that early drop .

the tweaking stage can be a long term thing i still do some tweaking with jesse after years of being diabetic but whatever i do is very small now because she is doing well
                Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Hi Mel,

I don't think that is a bad curve at all. The rice did in fact stop a drop, as the difference between 313 and 308 is not much.

308 8 am
                  264 10 am
                  308 12 pm
                  267 8 pm

What I have found, is that by adding in some carbs, may keep them a little higher, and then they have more to go the distance, hence that lower PM fasting number. I would personally give it 2-3 days with the rice to see how things settle in. Looks like he has a little lower number for his evening fast, and went up a little after 2 hrs.

I think more data is needed to see where he settles in. Just my 2 cents.

Barb
                  Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

Originally posted by Abby's Mom View Post
                    Hi Mel,

I don't think that is a bad curve at all. The rice did in fact stop a drop, as the difference between 313 and 308 is not much.

308 8 am
                    264 10 am
                    308 12 pm
                    267 8 pm

What I have found, is that by adding in some carbs, may keep them a little higher, and then they have more to go the distance, hence that lower PM fasting number. I would personally give it 2-3 days with the rice to see how things settle in. Looks like he has a little lower number for his evening fast, and went up a little after 2 hrs.

I think more data is needed to see where he settles in. Just my 2 cents.

Barb
                    I had him on rice for almost 5 days before I did that curve, Barb. Do you think I need to do another with him eating rice a bit longer? Maybe I gave him too much rice? Maybe he's more sensitive than I've given him credit for!

I'm just worried about giving him insulin with a 184 number. And really, how does his number go up to 267 after dinner and a shot? Sometimes I feel that I will never get this!!

Comment

His number went up to 267 because of the rice! That's exactly what you wanted to happen... A slight rise. Some curves DO have a lower fasting number... They're called mountain curves and they're really quite nice because then you know their lowest number will be that fasting number

If you don't want that big of a rise at the beginning, reduce the amount of rice you're adding

Overall though, it links pretty good and I would probably increase the dose a tiny bit

Sandy

Comment

Mel,

That is what the rice is doing..... like Sandy mentioned. The rice is increasing his BG, so with a 184 to 267, that is the rice working. If you review his other numbers from 5 days, perhaps take readings every two hours, you will see that the numbers rise.

Testing is fun?

Barb

Comment

Mel,

That is what the rice is doing..... like Sandy mentioned. The rice is increasing his BG, so with a 184 to 267, that is the rice working. If you review his other numbers from 5 days, perhaps take readings every two hours, you will see that the numbers rise.

Testing is fun?

Barb
                          I guess I just don't understand why it works one way in the morning and another in the evening! Sooner or later it will come to me!

Thanks All for helping me understand!!
                          Mel

Comment

Was he still going down after the 5:30 reading. He may have been more in line with the 6:00 pm reading that you got. I think it is the same. Remember that in most cases, we see trends, and one reading may not give us a full picture. When looking at multiple ones, you may see something totally different.

I scratch my head at times too.

Comment

Was he still going down after the 5:30 reading. He may have been more in line with the 6:00 pm reading that you got. I think it is the same. Remember that in most cases, we see trends, and one reading may not give us a full picture. When looking at multiple ones, you may see something totally different.

I scratch my head at times too.
                              His highest number was at fasting in the morning at 313. Then he went down then up then down again so his evening fasting number was the lowest at 184 and it went up from there.

I'm going to have to do a 24 hour to really get a good idea of what is going on, aren't I?

Comment

Mel, what were the actual numbers and times?

Sandy

Comment

Working...
                                X