Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 07-09-2019, 12:39 PM

Default Re: Anyone have any recommendations to a hypoallergenic food that's low in fat?

Can I get any recipes you use for your dogs home made meal? I need something that is low in fat and also hypoallergenic for mochi..I have told my vet to order me the supplement mix to put in the home made food.

I am really stuck on how much to feed him and how to portion off the protein and veggies and others.
On 4.5 units of HumilinN
Old 07-09-2019, 08:28 PM
Founding Member

Default Re: Anyone have any recommendations to a hypoallergenic food that's low in fat?

jesse is a 26 pound beagle and i give her 2 medium hard boiled eggs . a third cup of skinless chicken ,third of a cup of pinto beans ,a third of a cup of vegies ,
( I grind up in a processor kale broccoli ,carrots ,tomatoes bokchoy ,beets and sometimes other things cooked ) . A third of a cup of sweet potato yams and a quarter cup of canned mackerel ( she really likes that which is the cat in her ) . I dont count calories or weigh her food as for jesse thats not that critical . Just keep it consistent . Now she only gets one meal a day . The only supplement i give her is grind up egg shells and milk thistle . She gets a vita bone snack in the morning which is kind of like giving her a multivitamin

She enjoys her dinner and gobbles it up .

hope that helps
Old 07-12-2019, 12:36 PM

Default anyone giving your diabetic dog glucosamine?

Hi all...

Things just keep snowballing for me and mochi..
He's still getting aggressive treatment for his eye because the bacteria is underneath his healed cornea and it will not budge..so now he has to start Oral antibiotics to try and get rid of it..

But I've also noticed him limping the past couple of days during the morning when he gets up. Then he walks it off and he's ok again...I'm getting worried its a sign of arthritis so I'm thinking of giving him glucosamine. I read that it's not very good for dogs with diabetes because it is a form of sugar..
Do any of you give your dogs glucosamine or anything for arthritis that's safe for dogs with diabetes?

Thank you
On 4.5 units of HumilinN
Old 07-12-2019, 01:59 PM
Founding Member

Default Re: anyone giving your diabetic dog glucosamine?

I think there are brands that are packaged without sugar . I think Mike is giving his Lilly cbd oil .

I would not be in a rush to do anything unless it becomes an established pattern . Limping can be many different things other than arthritis
Old 07-13-2019, 08:53 AM

I give Lily Dasuquin with MSM and CBD oil for her arthritis. Neither seem to cause any problems with her BG.

Like jesse girl said, maybe wait a bit to see if he gets better.
Nulo Adult Trim Cod & Lentils, Pumpkin, FortiFlora, Dasuquin, Thyroxine
Old 07-13-2019, 09:19 AM

Just a thought
A probiotic might help his stomach because of the bacteria and antibiotics
Mochi might be having stomach issues in the mornings causing the lag
Old 07-14-2019, 11:06 AM

Thanks for the info Mike! I still have a bottle of cbd that was for my other dog..he just passed so I can potentially give that to mochi if it is.

I'll keep an eye out for any limping. I dont think it mochi is having stomach issues. He was limping 2 days before he started taking the antibiotics. I'm just hoping these antibiotics will clear the bacterial infection in his eye..its been 2 weeks and not getting any better.
On 4.5 units of HumilinN
Old 07-14-2019, 06:11 PM

Snickers had arthritis and I used to give her Ark Naturals sea Mobility Joint Rescue squares. She really liked the taste of them and you can break them into small pieces. They have glucosamine, chondrotin and msm in them. They did not seem to affect her glucose levels.

https://www.arknaturals.com/product/...-joint-rescue/

I would talk to your vet about options. There is a lot out there to help dogs with arthritis now. And don't forget non medicinal options like exercise, heat, massage and stretching.
Old 07-14-2019, 09:14 PM

Thank you LizE

I'm really hoping he doesnt have arthritis..seeing me chihuahua that just passed suffer with it really made me sad. Mochi seemed like he limps in the morning for a bit and then hes ok again.

Do you guys remember how your dogs started getting arthritis? I don't remember how my old chihuahua developed it..but it hit him hard when he tore his ligament on his knee..
On 4.5 units of HumilinN
Old 07-15-2019, 08:42 AM

Dogs are very good at hiding pain. We don't recognize the problem in dogs until it reaches a tipping point. If your dog is limping a little in the morning something is not right.

One of the vet schools (Wisconsin?) is researching if dogs are more prone to tearing their leg ligaments because arthritis is ALREADY present as opposed to the conventional wisdom that says dogs develop arthritis AFTER the ligament injury.

Towards the end Snickers just started falling over one day. It was because her arthritis had advanced so much - it didn't just happen overnight - she was good at pretending she was ok. People would comment all the time how great she got around and couldn't believe how old she was when all along she had serious problems.

Anti inflammatories helped her a lot I just wish we had been more aggressive in treating her from the start. An x-ray taken for a non-arthritis diagnosis 2 months before she died showed joint damage on her spine. We knew her leg was a problem but we had no idea about the rest of her. I feel terrible about it.