Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:03 AM

Default Re: Annie - Getting too smart!

i'm glad i overcame my issues with home testing and it's so true, anything could change their bg.

may i ask how i would notice if zulu was having eye pressure issues? i know what a cataract looks like. i worry about the nerve stuff tho.

thanks.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:32 AM
Senior Member and Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
A quick question from my own ignorance - Eddie can't see due to retinal problems unrelated to diabetes. I don't therefore really worry about cataracts on the basis that they would probably not change his vision or lack of it. Is the pressure problem something which flows from cataracts, or is it a separate (diabetic) issue and therefore something I should be getting him checked for? He hasn't seen an eye doctor for several years because there is nothing that could be done and no progression.
Thanks
Antonia
I really don't know. She has had bouts of high eye pressure for a couple of years, during and after her cataract and glaucoma treatment. Annie is also blind. I've been taking her in to the eye doc because she has a history of eye problems, even after going blind.

Craig
Old 08-08-2013, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slopeside View Post
i'm glad i overcame my issues with home testing and it's so true, anything could change their bg.

may i ask how i would notice if zulu was having eye pressure issues? i know what a cataract looks like. i worry about the nerve stuff tho.

thanks.
The "whites" of her eye had been a little pink, but I don't know if this is an indicator or not. She didn't do any scratching around the eye, or appeared in any discomfort. The vet has that "thingy" that blows a bit of air into the eye, think thats the test for eye pressure.

Annie had cataracts removed several years ago, then had glaucoma come-on overnight last year and went blind within a few days of unsuccessful surgery. She's been getting routine eye checks every 3-6 months since the cataracts (gotta help pay the mortgage of the eye vet's Maui condo).

Craig
Old 08-08-2013, 10:13 AM

Thanks for explaining that - very helpful.
Antonia
Old 08-08-2013, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
OK, everyone can blame Barb for me listing all this AlphaTrak2 (AT2) / FreeStyle Lite (FSL) info! I want to emphasize that the FSL strips are the newer version that mentions the FreeStyle FREEDOM Lite on the box. FSL35 means the AlphaTrak2 was coded to 35. FSL7 means the AlphaTrak2 was coded to 7. (I ignored the code 11 that was marked on the FSL strip container, besides the AT2 meter doesn't have a code 11! Skips from 10 to 12)

AT=95, FSL35=120, FSL7=83
AT=261, FSL35=265, FSL7=234
AT=349, FSL35=352, FSL7=347
AT=221, FSL35=221, FSL7=182
AT=97, FSL35=95, FSL7=88
AT=269, FSL35=292
AT=158, FSL35=155
AT=164, FSL35=165
AT=269, FSL35=260

The above tests were taken over several days. Although FSL7 was closer to the AT reading once or twice, setting to 35 seems to be closer more often, plus keeping the meter set to 35 prevents me from forgetting to switch the code back to 35 if I use a true AT strip (assuming the AT strips are going to be 35 into the future).

The third test (AT=349...) was high on purpose! Someone had asked if the strips read close to each other at higher numbers, or only in the lower range. I gave Annie a treat a couple of hours prior to this test to see how the strips would read on higher blood glucose. She enjoyed the treat and was back down to AT=221 the next morning.

Craig
Hi Craig,

I apologize if this is obvious (above), but I am getting ready to purchase the FS Lite strips and I don't want to make any mistakes and would appreciate your clarification.

So, just to be clear...my AT2 meter is currently set to 36 (with the AT2 strips). When I start using the FSL Freedom strips, I should change the code on my AT2 meter to 35 (as long as the code on the box of FSL Freedom bottle is coded as a 35)?

And, what if it is coded differently, do I change the AT2 to that code? Are all FSL Freedom strips coded 35, or are bottles coded differently?

Thank you in advance,
Eileen
Old 08-08-2013, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeweek9 View Post
Hi Craig,

I apologize if this is obvious (above), but I am getting ready to purchase the FS Lite strips and I don't want to make any mistakes and would appreciate your clarification.

So, just to be clear...my AT2 meter is currently set to 36 (with the AT2 strips). When I start using the FSL Freedom strips, I should change the code on my AT2 meter to 35 (as long as the code on the box of FSL Freedom bottle is coded as a 35)?

And, what if it is coded differently, do I change the AT2 to that code? Are all FSL Freedom strips coded 35, or are bottles coded differently?

Thank you in advance,
Eileen
You probably should do a little test yourself. When I wrote my comparison, I thought all AlphaTrak2 strips were going to be code 35, but you have code 36 strips. I'd recommend you use an AlphaTrak strip, and then quickly swap to a FSL strip using either 36 or 35 and see your results testing on either the same blood droplet, or re-poking as quickly as you can.

In fact, whenever I start a new box of FSL strips I'll do the side-by-side comparison just to be sure there is no change.

I'd do a test at 36 for "grins" to see what I would get, but I'm out of FSL strips

The code on the FSL container was 11, but I ignored that number because I'm thinking that number is only valid when used in a FreeStyle Lite meter testing human blood.

Craig
Old 08-08-2013, 07:39 PM

Wink Re: Annie - Getting too smart!

Thanks, Craig. I'm not as agile (or gifted in the testing area) as you and I'm a little nervous about re-poking, and switching strips all the while Scooter sits there...waaaaaToday I 'tried' to do a spot check (and practice my technique as I am planning a curve tomorrow) and I poked twice and couldn't get a big enough blood droplet for some reason. I was pretty patient after I poked and a small bit of blood appeared and I sort of pressed the area to encourage blood to form, but it wasn't enough and I blew another strip. I can only test on his lip (maltese lips are pretty tiny) as he is very sensitive in his ears and I have never tested by the dewclaw. He wouldn't stand for that either.

I teach golf and I know that fear does all kinds of bad things in a golf swing and I think this also translates into my method of getting a blood sample. If I'm afraid, I will not do it right. (Just like when I started injecting, which now I do while I am on the phone and he can't wait for it b/c there is a treat waiting.) He actually comes to get me to remind me that it "is time for my shot, darnit!"

I will run my curve tomorrow if everything (schedule wise) goes as planned and there are no interruptions during the day. I've had him on 3.25 units now for several days and it is time to see if the lower numbers are up before going up another .25 units. (Gosh those 1/4 unit indicators are hard to see).

Are you sure I can't rely on your comparisons???

Thanks, Craig.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeweek9 View Post
Thanks, Craig. I'm not as agile (or gifted in the testing area) as you and I'm a little nervous about re-poking, and switching strips all the while Scooter sits there...waaaaaToday I 'tried' to do a spot check (and practice my technique as I am planning a curve tomorrow) and I poked twice and couldn't get a big enough blood droplet for some reason. I was pretty patient after I poked and a small bit of blood appeared and I sort of pressed the area to encourage blood to form, but it wasn't enough and I blew another strip. I can only test on his lip (maltese lips are pretty tiny) as he is very sensitive in his ears and I have never tested by the dewclaw. He wouldn't stand for that either.

I teach golf and I know that fear does all kinds of bad things in a golf swing and I think this also translates into my method of getting a blood sample. If I'm afraid, I will not do it right. (Just like when I started injecting, which now I do while I am on the phone and he can't wait for it b/c there is a treat waiting.) He actually comes to get me to remind me that it "is time for my shot, darnit!"

I will run my curve tomorrow if everything (schedule wise) goes as planned and there are no interruptions during the day. I've had him on 3.25 units now for several days and it is time to see if the lower numbers are up before going up another .25 units. (Gosh those 1/4 unit indicators are hard to see).

Are you sure I can't rely on your comparisons???

Thanks, Craig.
It would be much better if you tried to test using both types of strips. I can only advise that my readings were very close.

Remember, my test was done with the newer style FSL strips that has the word "freedom" on the box. Here's a link to what I've used, the box might be mostly yellow, or white. I would avoid the older style strip in the mostly blue box.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/sqpa5h8z4c...-26_121134.png

Craig

Btw, I just ordered a new box of FSL strips.

Last edited by CraigM; 08-08-2013 at 07:52 PM.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:28 PM

thanks craig!~
Old 08-10-2013, 09:21 PM
Administrator

I'm glad Annie seems to be doing well with the change in drops.

Natalie