Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 12-04-2014, 09:50 AM

Default Re: Is my dog beginning to fail?

Good comments, ... agree ruling out an infection or allergy is a start point.
Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dadís loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.
Old 12-05-2014, 07:23 PM

Thank you Chuck's Mom. and to all who posted.
Old 12-05-2014, 08:06 PM

So here's the story to date: I got Bailey to the Vet this morning and while the vet thinks I could go ahead and put Bailey on antibiotics (and he certainly had plenty of respect for the advice from this website) he thinks it is more likely old insulin. He feels I should start a new vial and toss the old stuff. He said putting Bailey on antibiotics would do no harm but felt we should try the new insulin as well. I decided to start with the new vial first. And here's the info I didn't even know to mention earlier: I always buy a back-up vial, because I'm afraid I'll break one. My Vet asked if I have ever done that, and I said no and he said then don't buy an extra because I'm starting with an old vial each time by having it hanging out in my fridge. I sort of feel like an idiot, but I also feel like I need to write all this down for others to see. I swear I thought I had this figured out. So here we go with a new plan for a few weeks and a big thank you to all of you and a "Smarty Pants Star",(the highest award in my house)to AmyDunn19. Thanks.
Old 12-05-2014, 08:23 PM

Hope all goes well!

Im new to this as well, bought a backup vial as well. Guess thats a no no.

I guess I shouldve listen to the pharmacist when he said 48 days max and throw it away. Please keep us updated!
Old 12-05-2014, 08:25 PM

It shouldn't matter as long as its unopened and refridgerated. I checked lot numbers on the latest vial prior to this new one and they are the same! My fridge should be just as good as walmarts
Laura & Charlie 29 lb male lhasapoo diagnosed October 2013. 16ish units of Novolin N. 1 & 1/3 cup of Natural Balance Fat Dog twice a day. An egg with breakfast and chicken with dinner. Shares string cheese with us late afternoon. Cyclosporine ointment for KCS. Blind from cataracts January 2014. Crossed the rainbow bridge 2/1/2016 at 14.5 years
Old 12-05-2014, 08:27 PM
Founding Member

i believe insulin that is unopened is good for a couple years refrigerated . the expiration date is on the the top of the box . i just looked at jesses NPH insulin and is good to November ,2016 now i am not sure about other insulin's
Old 12-05-2014, 10:22 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

I don't see an issue with a backup vial- as long as it hasn't been opened or dropped, it should be fine. I certainly understand being worried about breaking a vial as I have done that more than once. I keep the vial I am replacing too. I always think that if I break the new one, maybe there is enough potency in the old one to still work a little until i get a new one.

Also, I have this little foam thing that the insulin vial fits in that protects it - it has a lid to keep out air. Somebody gave it to me but I would love to find another one. I think that is the problem with a vial that has been pricked 60 times a month - air gets in the vial and weakens the insulin.
Old 12-05-2014, 11:13 PM

I sure hope it stays good, I always have an extra unopened vial. lol

Amy, I saw a vial protector made of foam, sort of like a cold drink/beer kozy on Amazon. But it didn't have a top to seal off the top.

I never have to worry about the vial lasting to long, but I have noticed that when the insulin gets low, about 1/8 to 1/4 inch left in vial, Chucks numbers get a little "off". So I switch to a new vial.
Chuck-108 lb male Rottweiler, 8 years old. Dx Sept. 24, 2014. 22.5 units of Novolin N 2 x a day. Alpha Track 2. 2 1/2 cup Purina OM Select Blend, 2 x a day. Also mom to 2 Boxer boys, I love my 3 boys-chucksmom aka Kim
Old 12-06-2014, 06:57 AM

My vet says it's not just an issue of being unopened, it's about temperature and even rising a few degrees will start it's countdown. I said, I always transport it in an ice pack carrier and he said I can't be sure how well it was handled before I got it. He's not saying this is definitively my problem, but he wants me to try using a new vial from the pharmacy each month for a while and see if that makes a difference. I can't imagine not having a backup and may need to have one and just pitch it unopened.
Old 12-06-2014, 07:42 AM

I icepack mine too then out it in the fridge and keep the used vial at the back of the fridge in case i need it but never had to use it.

This is why hometesting our dogs is important. If the vial gets too low and we dont recognize it their blood sugar will rise and we catch this by monitoring.