Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Since it's so quiet, how about an update?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Since it's so quiet, how about an update?

Glad that little Spirit's still doing great! I'm getting so jealous of all the puppies around me right now... I even stopped in a puppy store today to look and play with some of them (don't worry, I wouldn't buy from a pet store). I love my old dogs (Dakota is turning 12 next week, Dec. 2), but seeing all these puppies makes me want another one!

Edit: Our customer at work that had the diabetic dog came back with a new puppy last week. She was such a sweet little thing, and very good for such a young puppy. When her mom came to pick her back up, she told the manager that if she'd known I'd love her puppy so much, she would've given me the sister, instead of giving her back to the breeder (her sister was beating up on her)!
    Last edited by ceruleanblue; 11-25-2014, 03:27 PM.
    Mandy and Piper | Border Collie/GSD Mix | 01/01/2002-10/31/2015 | DX: Diabetes- 09/18/12, Bladder tumor- 09/18/14

Comment

Aw, that's sweet!
      Sparky Love, diagnosed March 5, 2014. Enrolled in Kinostat study to prevent cataract formation. Pancreatitis June 16, 2014 - hospitalized for 6 days in the ICU. Went to the Rainbow Bridge June 23, 2014. I love you very much, baby.

Comment

I've had a heavy heart the last few weeks. My sister in law runs a rescue and she got a 13 year old dog, Bear, whose family left her at a pound. Bear wasn't eating and ended up at the vet several times. She was finally dx. with pneumonia and despite above and beyond efforts, it got to the point they had to set her free. She had beautiful soulful eyes that remind me of my Kinser's eyes. He's also 13. I can't even imagine dumping him at a pound. Each day he is still with us is a gift.

Shortly there after she took a young girl pup, Stella, into her rescue. The pup had not made it's way to NY yet, but was in a foster out of state. Stella looked so much like Decker did as a pup. Rebecca kept saying to me, "PLEASE, mommy, PLEASEEEEE, can't we get her?" My SIL was sending me texts saying they could arrange to bring her to NY. Baby Stella got sick and was dx. with parvo. Despite life saving efforts, she did not survive. Poor sweet baby never had a chance.

A cousin lost her senior dog awhile back and recently adopted two small pups from a rescue (not my SIL's). A little boy, Oscar and a girl, Nala. They came home on a Saturday and by Sunday they were acting off. Monday they went to the vet and Nala was in/out of hospitalization. Later that week she remained at the vet hospital and had to have emergency surgery. She made it through surgery but didn't show signs of improvement. She went to puppy heaven. Her brother ended up hospitalized shortly there after. He didn't need the surgery but was not improving despite everyone's best efforts. At the end of the week he joined his sister in puppy heaven. My heart still breaks for my cousin and her family.

That concept of doing everything you know how to do, but your best not being good enough. Sure brings up a lot of sad memories and leaves the heart feeling heavy.

My bunch are doing fine but I sure hug them a bit tighter and spoil them a bit more these days.
        Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

Holli,

It is very tough when those kind of tragedies happen around you. I have a couple of good friends who have gotten the worst news myself. One is my dog trainer who never feeds her dog anything less than the best and who does everything right. Her rescued border collie at 7 years old started feeling off on a Monday evening and by Wednesday, she was in kidney failure and made a small comeback but by the next Monday, they had to let her go. No explanation of what happened - she was great one minute and not the next. She has been the dog that taught so many of her client's dogs to trust other dogs - she was amazing with my schnauzer and when she started attending Mya's sessions, Mya became more of a regular dog. It was just an unbelievable loss.

Another friend and customer, who I am very close to found out she has pancreatic cancer the same week. She has only eaten organic food, never drank alcohol heavily, smoked, or used drugs, and always exercised and kept herself in great shape. It is just a terrible feeling to see people go through so much. This lady has two beautiful bichons who she lives for. I know she worries because her husband is much older and even though he loves the dogs, I know she is a little concerned because they are her babies.

These things have caused me to stop and think - to make more time for the people and furry four legged people who really matter.
          Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Wow, an awful lot of tragedy lately! It's so sad to hear these things.
            Sparky Love, diagnosed March 5, 2014. Enrolled in Kinostat study to prevent cataract formation. Pancreatitis June 16, 2014 - hospitalized for 6 days in the ICU. Went to the Rainbow Bridge June 23, 2014. I love you very much, baby.

Comment

Oh gosh Holli and Amy, that certainly puts everything into perspective.

We all do have blessed lives.
              Laura & Charlie 29 lb male lhasapoo diagnosed October 2013. 16ish units of Novolin N. 1 & 1/3 cup of Natural Balance Fat Dog twice a day. An egg with breakfast and chicken with dinner. Shares string cheese with us late afternoon. Cyclosporine ointment for KCS. Blind from cataracts January 2014. Crossed the rainbow bridge 2/1/2016 at 14.5 years

Comment

Today was the tenth anniversary of losing my Golden (on thanksgiving) to a fast hitting illness. Shelby was six years old and a gentle sweetheart of a girl always ready to give love. She had a habit of coming up to you and poking her nose to your thighs until you gave her room enough to stand between your legs. She'd then march her hind legs and wag her tail. Tonight when I got home from a trip to the store and was unpacking groceries, I suddenly felt a doggy nose nudging my thighs from behind...it was Grayson...who then parked himself between my legs and forced a time-out to collect some loving. It was as though something told him that he should do that - perhaps Shelby just saying hello?
                Grayson - 95lb black lab, 10yrs old, diagnosed 3/22/14 - Novolin N (27units) and Merrick Grain Free Buffalo and Sweet Potato dry food - Novox 100mg twice daily & a Cosequin supplement - Alphatrak2 & One Touch Mini

Comment

So my entertaining update of the day.......apparently, I did not leave the bathroom door completely closed. And apparently, Spirit thinks that shredding toilet paper off the roll is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!! I now have a trail of shredded toilet paper all the way up and down the hallway :-) I knew she was being too quiet!

Comment

Originally posted by Grayson View Post
                    Today was the tenth anniversary of losing my Golden (on thanksgiving) to a fast hitting illness. Shelby was six years old and a gentle sweetheart of a girl always ready to give love. She had a habit of coming up to you and poking her nose to your thighs until you gave her room enough to stand between your legs. She'd then march her hind legs and wag her tail. Tonight when I got home from a trip to the store and was unpacking groceries, I suddenly felt a doggy nose nudging my thighs from behind...it was Grayson...who then parked himself between my legs and forced a time-out to collect some loving. It was as though something told him that he should do that - perhaps Shelby just saying hello?
                    Yes, definitely Shelby saying hello.

Comment

Originally posted by amydunn19 View Post
                      It is very tough when those kind of tragedies happen around you. I have a couple of good friends who have gotten the worst news myself. One is my dog trainer who never feeds her dog anything less than the best and who does everything right. Her rescued border collie at 7 years old started feeling off on a Monday evening and by Wednesday, she was in kidney failure and made a small comeback but by the next Monday, they had to let her go. No explanation of what happened - she was great one minute and not the next. She has been the dog that taught so many of her client's dogs to trust other dogs - she was amazing with my schnauzer and when she started attending Mya's sessions, Mya became more of a regular dog. It was just an unbelievable loss.

Another friend and customer, who I am very close to found out she has pancreatic cancer the same week. She has only eaten organic food, never drank alcohol heavily, smoked, or used drugs, and always exercised and kept herself in great shape. It is just a terrible feeling to see people go through so much. This lady has two beautiful bichons who she lives for. I know she worries because her husband is much older and even though he loves the dogs, I know she is a little concerned because they are her babies.

These things have caused me to stop and think - to make more time for the people and furry four legged people who really matter.
                      Sorry to read this Amy. Prayers for your friend/customer. I'm sorry for the loss of your friend's border collie and your loss as well.
                      Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

I added a couple more pictures of Spirit - one of her at the lake wearing her little pink life vest, and the other a timeline of her Christmas pictures. Baby girl is growing up so fast!

Comment

What a great idea Natalie. It is so nice to read about everyone and their fur babies.

Life has been a little hectic also for us. I suffered from labyrinthitis and lost the hearing in my left ear. A year later, the loss was confirmed as permanent and I am now scheduled to go for hearing aids fitting (microphone in the deaf ear and hearing aid in the good ear). Single side deafness is a lot harder to adjust to than I ever imagined.

My sister who lost her son last year on Valentine day got quite sick and passed on August 8. Because I did not yet have to OK to fly, had to travel by train to Montreal and leaving from where I live, it turned out to be a 9-hour trip spread over 2 days in each direction. I was able to get there on time to say my final goodbyes and had to help clear out and give away her furniture, clothes, sort out papers etc and came back with pneumonia.

We have listed our house and are planning to move closer to the kids and grandchildren. That would be about 4 hours away from where we live now.

We (I) got really peed off with our vet seeing how he didn't really care to investigate how he could help Angus when we realized how sick he was when we adopted him, I fired him and found a wonderful vet who is a great diagnotician and has been terrific for both Cleo and Angus that we adopted March 2013.

My old girl Cleo is now 14+, partially deaf and blind, sometimes shows signs of senility but is still enjoying a good quality of life. We got her a carriage and the princess now does half her walk in the carriage and walks the other half. She is getting heart medications which have helped prolonged her life. Also getting a monthly injection of Cartrophen for her severe arthritis and degeneration.

After 14 months of a multitude of tests, x-rays, ultra sound, food and med changes, we had finally stabilize Angus and he was doing terrific. No more explosive vomiting and severe diarrhea with significant blood loss.

Lo and behold, last week we had a storm accompanied by a 2-day power outage and Angus started shivering and not feeling well. At first we thought it was the colitis acting up and we are now so thankful that we recognize the subtle differences and we rushed him to the vet. He now has Addison and started the treatment this past Tuesday and today, we have seen some improvements. I am just hoping and praying that I don't come back to this board one day because of diabetes. This little guy has gone through hell and back and he is such a sweet little dog (also a Westie) like Cleo.

My boy Buddy's ashes are still with us in the family room and I very seldom go to bed without winking at his picture or asking him to help me find the right solution to Angus' problems.

To all who are having health challenges and coping with loss of friends and family members, I send you all a great big virtual hug and healing and positive vibes.

Of course, a great big belly rub for your furbabies

Louise

Comment

Great update, Louise. Not a doubt, Buddy's winking back.
                            Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

Well, this weekend I am competing in my first ever agility trial. I was doing agility with Sparky and was getting close to being able to compete with him when he got sick and passed away. Then when I got Spirit, I coincidentally met someone who had been training her dog to do agility, but she was afraid to actually compete (the owner, not the dog). So she asked if I would consider competing with her dog. It worked out awesome because even though agility trials are in Spirit's future, she's still very young and has to do limited training to protect her body until she's full grown. So now I have a dog to compete with and really, practice on, and by the time Spirit is ready to compete I should have a lot of the kinks worked out.

Anyway, tomorrow and Sunday are my first tries at actually competing. Paws crossed things will go well. Or at least that nothing disastrous happens. I know that Sparky is watching over me though, and protecting me and he will help me out if he can.

Comment

Day 1 of the agility trial complete. We didn't do as well as I had hoped but we got out there and had a lot of fun, and that's ultimately what matters. One of my friends did OUTSTANDING and got first place - and told me that her run was in memory of Sparky. I'm so lucky to have friends like that :-)

Comment

Working...
                                X