Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sydney

It's official.

Sydney has diabetes. The ACTH test and Bile Acid test came back within the normal ranges. Tonight we started on NPH insulin. Recommended dose was 13, vet said to start with 10, after deliberation with my husband, we started at 7.

Her starting BG tonight was 489.

Sigh.

Tami, and Soaphie, and Sydney
    Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Re: Sydney - new member...

Oh, my, Tami! I regret hearing that you now have another issue with your pets.

It's good that you are already familiar with this forum and have some experience, but WOW--you've got your hands full.
    Ruffles May 1997~~12/6/2010~~She was "a heartbeat at our feet"~~
    Izzy--BD unknown;~~ RIP 7/13/2013 ~~; she was a sweet Yorkie spirit and we miss her
    Bella--Yorkie rescue; BD 9/2013 +/-; RIP 5/2015
    Ruby--senior Yorkiepoo foster

Comment

Re: Sydney - new member... welcome - your mom is great

Dear Sydney,

You are a lucky dog. You have the greatest Human DogMum! After all, she's been with us here on the forum for quite some time now, so she knows what she's doing!

Oh; Tami - here are some greetings for Soaphie, too!

I'm really curious; when you said the recommended starting dose (for NPH insulin) was 13 units, where did that come from? Was it the kind of standard "quarter unit per pound of dog" (if I remember right)? And then, interestingly, the VET suggested starting with 10 units instead of 13; I like that caution!

So you and your husband decided on 7 units! I'm curious how you came to that decision!

Wishing you all - Soaphie, Sydney, you and your husband, the very best.

Fri, 19 Nov 2010 20:11:45 (PST)
      http://www.coherentdog.org/
      CarolW

Comment

Welcome Sydney! Tired of Soaphie getting all the special attention, huh?

Natalie

Comment

Good morning!

Starting dose recommendation was .5 units per kg....Syd weight 26kg (59 pounds). We just decided on 7 units yesterday because her first shot was at night and we were a little nervous. This morning she was at 435 so we bumped it to 9 units and will monitor closely. Hopefully we can get it down safely and in a short amount of time.

Now I'm creating binders with spreadsheets for each dog and ensuring their "supplies" are separated since Syd is on NPH.

Wow - never thought this would happen! Two dogs, two diabetic dogs, two different insulins.

Thank you all!

Tami
          Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

Wow, Tami, I'm in awe.

You must be like an angel, or a saint on steroids, or something. It boggles my mind.

I hope things go well with Sydney. She's lucky to have you.

Craig (& Bob)

Comment

Wow, Tami. I'm guessing your counter looks like a pharmacy . I understand the need to keep it all separate! Hugs to your Sydney-girl.
              Patty
              Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Hello all....

At noon today Syd's reading was 460
                3:40 p.m. her reading was 485

Any thoughts on what her dose should be tonight? Her BG reading hasn't really changed at all.....do I hang tight at 9 units or bump it to get something to move? I just thought we'd see it come down....even a 100 or so - but nothing. She had 9 units this morning.

Tami

Comment

I would hold at 9 for at least a couple of days - this first response might not be the longer term one.

Are you checking for ketones?

Natalie

Comment

I haven't checked for ketones - I do need to do that. Checking her blood is a huge challenge right now - if I were chasing her around the back yard...well - I think she would end up avoiding me like the plague....but I shall try!

Comment

Tami, I hesitate to ask since you are much more exprienced, but are you using treats before and after BG testing? Ruffles doesn't like the procedure, but will "allow" it because of the treats. Had to experiment until I found what she likes within the scope of what is allowable. We're using low fat, low sodium cheese as of now.

In order to test her ketones, I cut a styrofoam cup in half and trimmed the top corners so that it looks like an scoop. First use, she stopped the flow; second time forward, she hardly noticed. I just slip it under her about a second or two after she squats.

Good thoughts and encouragement being sent your way from me and Ruffles.
                      Izzy--BD unknown;~~ RIP 7/13/2013 ~~; she was a sweet Yorkie spirit and we miss her

Comment

she gets tomatoes as treats - I think where we are struggling is that she has such big jowls and I really have to crank up the lancet device to get any blood - so she ends up being pricked a few times and gets tired of it. It's funny - when I get the testing kit out to test Sydney, Soaphie comes over and lays down on the floor waiting for me to test her. Too cute.

Comment

So there IS a little "competition" going on here! (Hee Hee. )

I have to set the lancet unit which came with the ReliOn Ultima at its highest setting, and sometimes still have to prick Ruffles more than once. She's usually patient with me once I get started.

Comment

Wow Tami

2 diabetic dogs and both on different insulin. I must say not many people would be able to cope with that!
                            Hope things go well with Sydney and of course Soaphie!

I had a lot on my mind a few weeks back and was getting Alfie's insulin organised, I turned round from the fridge and tended "his skin" only to think it didn't feel normal - thats cos it was my other dog Skye. Not even the same size or colour as Alfie - We had a lucky escape that morning!
                            Alfie- 11 1/2yrs. 8kg diagnosed June 2008. Insulin - NPH, Novorapid & Caninsulin - a work in progress! Dx left brain neuro focal lymphoma 4th Dec 2012, still fighting on!.

Comment

Hi Tami,

You certainly have your hands full with two diabetic dogs now

But do you know what I know you will do a wonderful job with Sophie and Sydney.

I bet you feel as if you are starting all over again and with a new insulin as well.

I have been thinking about you and I will be following your thread.

I have not a lot of advice but I try to help now and then..........with some words of support!!!!!

Hugs

Margaret
                              Margaret & Angel Lucy July 4 2001- May 6 2011

Comment

Working...
                              X