New member Snowball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New member Snowball

we've had a few dogs on here with back leg weakness which may or may not be related to the diabetes. Some people gave massive doses of B-12 which helped but it was a slow improvement. But they went from having to help them walk to the dogs walking on their own.

it's so hard I know
    Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

What exactly does it look like? Back leg weakness (front braces ok, but can’t press up with the rear legs into a stand)? Or all over weakness (can’t get the front legs in position)? Looking wobbly or swaying? Can she hold a stand if you help her up? From a stand does she sink down in back? Or splay all 4 feet like on ice? Or look dizzy?

Comment

http://www.k9diabetes.com/forum/show...highlight=weak
        Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Originally posted by robl45 View Post
          She was walking relatively fine this morning when I took her out to the bathroom. Now she can't stand. Has anyone seen anything like this before?

I'll try this again ...

Re: New member Snowball Quote:
          Originally Posted by robl45
          she is seeming better today, giving me kisses which she hasn't done, but she still isn't walking normal. I'm not sure what to think as this just kind of started a couple of days ago when I started testing her. she is walking, but its like she is having trouble with the back legs. Sometimes better than others. She squatted to pee and fell down at first. But she did make it up the steps there are 7 and then 5 steps and she went up them without help.

http://diabetesindogs.wikia.com/wiki/Neuropathy

Diabetic neuropathy is one of the symptoms of prolonged hyperglycemia. It causes numbness and weakness in the legs.
          Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

It mostly seems to be a back leg issue. She sways a little when walking, but mostly just back leg issue when she is having a problem.

I asked the vet about it being an issue with the blood sugar causing the legs to get numb, but she said that it didn't appear that way because the reflexes were good in each leg. Currently she just walked back into my office walking around on the floor yet when I had her go pee before coming up I literally was placing her on the ground to do her business.

I showed the vet my chart I have been making of the levels and she said the levels looked great. I could increase a little as I would like them lower, but I have been hearing to wait at least 2 weeks and I'm nervous about getting rebound again.

If I tried some B12, can you just give that by mouth and do the dogs eat it easliy?

Comment

It has to be methyl. There are 2 types so make sure. It comes in pill form I think

Comment

In regard to the diabetic Neuropathy, this is the Methyl B12 from GNC that you would need. As with all supplements you might want to run this by your vet.

My Lily started getting weakness in her hind legs a couple of months ago and the Methyl B12 is helping her.

Lily is a 62 lb English Setter, born 07-27-2007.
                Diabetes: Aug 2013
                Went peacefully to heaven on 04-24-2021
                Video in Lily’s memory: https://www.facebook.com/10000201631...3260300417807/

Comment

What about the liquid, has anyone tried that? It would be half a dose for my dog.

https://www.gnc.com/gnc-prime-deals/...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Comment

Methyl B12 is the one you want. Regular Vitamin B12 and Methyl B12 are not the same.
                    Last edited by MikeMurphy; 10-08-2018, 09:15 AM.

Comment

• Re: New member Snowball

I see, not the correct one. Is there any methyl B12 that is not so high in mcg when I need 500 per dose? They do make 500 but only in lozenges which won't work very well.

Comment

I see drops on Amazon by aSquared nutrition. They say 5000 mcg, but the serving size is the entire syringe of 30 drops, which would make a 500 mcg dose 3 drops. I don’t see any problem ingredients, if someone wants to double check me on that though

Comment

https://www.amazon.com/Vitacost-Vita...70_&dpSrc=srch

Maybe this? the tablet is the right size. Seems to be Methyl. The liquid appears to say you must hold in mouth before swallowing.

Snowball isn't that well trained

Comment

Originally posted by robl45 View Post
                            https://www.amazon.com/Vitacost-Vita...70_&dpSrc=srch

Maybe this? the tablet is the right size. Seems to be Methyl. The liquid appears to say you must hold in mouth before swallowing.

Snowball isn't that well trained
                            Just make sure there are no added sugars. The GNC product has no sugar added.

Comment

358 at 6pm tonight. Now she can't walk again. So she woke up, sugar was at 298 and she walked pretty much fine to the door, went out, did her business and came back. She was wobbling a little bit, but pretty much fine. Maybe 20 minutes later we are feeding her and then she is having trouble walking. Give insulin and take hour 20 minute car ride to work. Get out and she can't walk. Bring her up to my office and for the rest of the day at least until 3 pm she is walking around the office almost like before she got the illness. Its bizarre. If it was high sugar, wouldn't it only hit when sugar is highest?

Comment

interesting she got worse after feeding and seemed to feel better right before . something to keep an eye on

what you want look for is patterns to things .
                                Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                                Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Working...
                                X