Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 12-22-2008, 03:26 PM
Administrator

Default Lucy, our rescued cattle dog, is an angel... April 21, 2014

Although I'm hoping they can be convinced to keep her with some help getting the treatment down to a smaller expense and possibly some donations of insulin and syringes...

http://sandiego.craigslist.org:80/ns...965121743.html

Quote:
please help! Lucy our 7 year old australian cattle dog has diabetes and we cannot afford to pay for her necessary care. She is the ultimate with kids, adults, everyone and everything. She loves to love and be loved, always ther with kisses and she thinks that your lap is the best place in tyhe world. she recieves 2 shots a day of insulin and has to be on a high protien diet. I have purchased her enough meds to last 1 month, then we will have no choice but to put her down. plesase help if you can she will make anyone the best dog ever, seriously, ever. i will post pics this evening.
I've emailed the poster suggesting keeping Lucy and finding some financial assistance and am hoping that they come here so we can help.

Natalie
Old 12-23-2008, 06:08 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Diabetic dog in San Diego needs new home

Thanks to Cushy for this link... http://www.petfinder.com:80/shelters/CA828.html

Special Needs Dog Rescue in San Diego. Not sure if they could take a cattle dog but worth a shot.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:05 PM
Founding Moderator

http://www.cattledog.com/misc/intro.html

Not sure that Lucy is a "working" cattle dog or a family pet. Am thinking about my OES right now and know he wouldn't have known anything about herding sheep.

At that time, OES were considered part of the AKC working dogs category; they are now in the herding dogs one. Our joke was that he was technically classed as a working dog, but he never worked a day in his life!
Old 12-28-2008, 10:13 AM
Founding Member

The original posting on craigslist has apparently now "expired" (link no longer works). Has anybody heard anything at all about Lucy?
Old 12-28-2008, 10:25 AM
Administrator

No response to my email.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:40 PM
Founding Moderator

Lucy Update--

http://petswithdiabetes.yuku.com/top...d-of-help.html

He WROTE ME BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!
I really was begining to think he wouldn't but here is his contact info and a picture of Lucy below....

"mike signs"
im sorry ive been very busy here is a pic of lucy she is such a great dog and has responded very well to the insulin. her appetite is back and she is putting on weight. she is such a love muffin. Unfortunatly i need to adopt her out I am a single father of 2 and cannot find time or money to give her the love she desearves. my phone # 760-855-8695 i want her to go to a good home.

I think I added her photo...Not sure but I think I made an album named Lucy Diabetic cattle dog valley center.

His contact info is above...
Please feel free to cross post!
THank you,
Sincerely,
Bobbi Harlan

Here's a photo of Lucy:

Old 12-30-2008, 12:43 PM

I too was panicky about the cost of daibetes, when Starz was diagnosed. With guidance from this group, the cost of her care got to be managable. There is probably an ACD rescue group in CA that may be able to help out, if he has to part with her.

Does anyone know if Lucy is spayed?
Ginny
Old 12-30-2008, 12:59 PM
Administrator

I'm hoping to get some detailed information on her, including whether she has lived indoors. It looks like she was photographed in a kennel so I wonder if she might be an outdoor dog.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:22 PM

I just sent a note and the photo of Lucy to the ACD rescue group in San Diego. The history of exposure to kids is a good thing for an ACD. They make great family dogs, as long as they have a job to perform (ie catch frisbees)
Ginny
Old 12-30-2008, 01:44 PM
Administrator

Thank you Ginny!!!!

Tags
rescue