Diabetes Now Hypoglycemia-Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What's going on?

I might cut the dose in half to maybe 2.5 units as you dont know how the cushing medication is acting and if that medication is to much it can push a dog to addisons which can really reduce the amount of insulin needed . Its a delicate balance . give the new dose a few days do a curve and if more is needed raise the dose maybe a half unit . If its still low consider another dose reduction

There maybe a bit of a re regulation process and why take any risks
    just a thought
    Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
    Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Re: What's going on?

I cut it this morning to 3 U q12. Thanks

Comment

Re: Urine Test Strips

I know one dog that is using this and it sticks to his side. You have to change it every ten days and then it takes about 12 hours to activate before you can check glucose.
        Daisy 12 1/2 y/o 20lb Mini Schnauzer - 115g chicken breast, 45g chana dal, 55g green beans all chopped in a food processor, 20g Hills Perfect Weight, 1 tbs pumpkin, 8 units Novolin N q12h. Other meds-1/4t d-mannose twice daily, 1 Proviable DC daily, 1 multivitamin, 1/4t ground eggshells each meal, 1200mcg methyl B12 daily, 5mg zyrtec daily

Comment

Do you know where to obtain this device -is it inserted in a vein? I would appreciate info on it. Thanks

Comment

Here’s some info from the manufacturer...
            https://www.freestylelibre.us/system...-overview.html

And a vet showing how the sensor is applied... The sensor needs to be replaced every 10 days...
            https://youtu.be/OWsH3oH4afM
            Lily is a 62 lb English Setter, born 07-27-2007.
            Diabetes: Aug 2013
            Went peacefully to heaven on 04-24-2021
            Video in Lily’s memory: https://www.facebook.com/10000201631...3260300417807/

Comment

Thank you!! What is the cost?? How did cataract surgery work out in your dog and do they return since dog is still diabetic?

Comment

Jessie Girl-

I did a Bld Glucose on Ollie, 4 pm EST and it was 183 using 3.5 units of Insulin this morning down from 4 U. The pee stick right after read negative? Either the stick is bad or it will only measure urine glucose when the Kidney spills over in urine above 180. Your Thoughts. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by alleng8304 View Post
                  Jessie Girl-

I did a Bld Glucose on Ollie, 4 pm EST and it was 183 using 3.5 units of Insulin this morning down from 4 U. The pee stick right after read negative? Either the stick is bad or it will only measure urine glucose when the Kidney spills over in urine above 180. Your Thoughts. Thanks
                  The 183 is a good number but its only one numbers and doesnt tell you much but maybe you can compare that number to a similar time you may have tested before and see what the difference is . The negative on the pee sticks doesnt give any info on the low side and i would treat it as correct unless proven wrong
                  Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                  Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

sounds good thanks

Comment

Originally posted by alleng8304 View Post
                      Thank you!! What is the cost?? How did cataract surgery work out in your dog and do they return since dog is still diabetic?
                      The cost of the Freestyle Libre is talked about in this article...

https://diatribe.org/freestyle-libre...-us-pharmacies

Lily’s cataract surgery went well. The aftercare is very intense for several weeks. She is also given eye drops daily for the rest of her life. She also sees the opthalmologist every six months, mainly for an eye pressure check.

Because a cataract is a clouding of the natural lens, and cataract surgery entails removal of the natural lens, a cataract cannot come back after surgery. Fortunately, artificial lenses do not form cataracts.
                      Lily is a 62 lb English Setter, born 07-27-2007.
                      Diabetes: Aug 2013
                      Went peacefully to heaven on 04-24-2021
                      Video in Lily’s memory: https://www.facebook.com/10000201631...3260300417807/

Comment

Thank you- Considering it-Ollie cannot see close up only some at distance

Comment

Lanomax-does it really work?

I know that a number of you, including myself, have had issues with your best friend going blind from diabetes. I would like to hear from those who have used Lanomax. Does it work? and to what extent. How long have you used it? I am struggling with the decision of cataract surgery (runs $1800-3700 in SC) . I am concerned that if my 9 yr old is well enough, strong enough and could take the stress. He is not totally blind but close to it. I feel so sad for him and others in this position. Thank you

Comment

Re: Lanomax-does it really work?

I’m really curious about this too. My Lucy has cataracts but they’re not bad (yet) and haven’t seemed to impact her vision. The VO said the cataract is a little thicker in one eye, but she can’t predict whether they’ll get worse or when but she did say it’s too early to even consider surgery.
                            We are using flurbiprofin drops to try to prevent glaucoma, but they’re being discontinued and are almost impossible to find now. Does anyone else use these and has your dr recommended a replacement yet?

Comment

Ollie is going to the vet Friday for cataract evaluation and ACTH stim-he also has Cushings.
                              I gave him an eye supplement when he was dx with Diabetes in January. No cataracts for 6 months and then just appeared overnight. I would like to use the least invasive tx but do these drops actually dissolve cataracts as some of the claims suggest??

Comment

Just my opinion, I have no experience with drops, but for something to actually dissolve cataracts sounds like a medical miracle. Has science developed something like that?
                                I'm sure if so, then there'd be a human version, and my opthamologist has never ever mentioned anything for me to use. I'm diabetic with developing cataracts.

Medical "claims" can be very deceptive, and based on very little proof.

Unless someone on here has had success as they claim, I'd be skeptical.
                                Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

Working...
                                X