Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dozer (Dozer passed away in late January)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Dozer Newly Diagnosed Lab

Well his # just now was 227 - 1 1/2 hrs after shot. I'm using a one touch ultra mini and believe it is reading low although I haven't compared to vet lately. Will let you know the morning numbers and I'll test again over night as my husband gets up at 4...

Comment

Originally posted by Tikobird View Post
      Well his # just now was 227 - 1 1/2 hrs after shot. I'm using a one touch ultra mini and believe it is reading low although I haven't compared to vet lately. Will let you know the morning numbers and I'll test again over night as my husband gets up at 4...

I've been doing a comparison with my OneTouch Ultra Mini and the AlphaTrak all weekend. I finally gave up with the OneTouch because it fluctuated between 5 and 57 points lower than the AlphaTrak did!

I tried to use the either the same blood sample (if there was enough) or at least within seconds of the other test. I'd feel a lot more comfortable with it if the numbers were consistent. I was expecting the closer numbers to be in the lower range, but that didn't occur (Robbie was 271 on the AlphaTrak when he read only 5 points lower on the OneTouch). Yet he was only 203 on the AlphaTrak when the OT read him at 467 pts lower!

Comment

Thanks for the info Jaye - I just got back from the vet - my other lab was bit by a snake this morning...thankfully he will be OK but he now looks like a walrus - his whole muzzle is swollen terribly! Anyway - had to take everyone with us cause the vet is an hour away & I wouldn't have been back in time for Dozer's feed time/shot time so I took my meter & did a check while there with the vet & sure enough OT Mini was 70 points lower. My meter read 271 and they had him at 342. I'm going to dump the mini & get the regular One Touch.

Comment

I just thought I would jump in and say I use the One Touch Ultra Easy with Alfie and had the vets AlphaTrak over the weekend to compare.
          The most it was every "out" by was 27 and most of the time he tested only between 5-10 different.
          I think for us anyway, that difference was not enough for me to spend the extra money on an AlphaTrak.
          I am sure I read somewhere that at any given time a meter will read + or - 20% of what a lab would test at anyway so I am pretty comfortable with my meter.

Allison
          Alfie- 11 1/2yrs. 8kg diagnosed June 2008. Insulin - NPH, Novorapid & Caninsulin - a work in progress! Dx left brain neuro focal lymphoma 4th Dec 2012, still fighting on!.

Comment

Poor guy! What kind of snake?

It seems like the OneTouch Mini doesn't perform as well as the full size meter and that there has been a trend that direction that the full size meters tend to be better. I have always figured that how a meter specifically measures the blood glucose may be related to how well it performs in dogs so maybe the mini meters use a somewhat different process.

Natalie

Comment

Thanks Allison I'm going to make the switch. Just gotta wait til next payday

Comment

Hey Natalie - we have copper heads here as well as water mocs but we think it was a copper head. He came home as soon as he got bit - saw a little bit of swelling & upon closer inspection threw him & the rest of the crew in the truck & got him to the vet who is 1 hour away - by the time we got there his whole face was blown up - I'll post the 2 pictures I took in the truck on the way home. Hopefully this will scare him enough to stay out of the woods.

He is feeling better - he at a little while ago so even though he looks funny he is feeling ok.

While we were waiting to pay the bill a lady came into the office and said "Oh what a cute dog - he's part chocolate lab & what?" He looked part walrus LOL

Comment

Just had a look at the photos - what a poor wee lamb.
                  We don't really have many snakes where we live, judging by those photos I am very glad. I hope he feels better soon!

And I know all about waiting on pay day coming round - it the story of my life
                  Alfie- 11 1/2yrs. 8kg diagnosed June 2008. Insulin - NPH, Novorapid & Caninsulin - a work in progress! Dx left brain neuro focal lymphoma 4th Dec 2012, still fighting on!.

Comment

My goodness Lori! Glad Buster's going to be ok. The part walrus does fit that picture.
                    Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Thanks guys - Buster is doing much better - most of the swelling has gone down he is just real puffy now on the top of his nose. He feels fine - will be a challenge to keep him inside all day again

Comment

Oh, poor Buster!

So happy to hear he is OK and feeling fine now. Must have been a scary situation! Those pictures are priceless...he really does look a bit walrus like, lol.

Big hug & a gentle kiss on the swollen schnoz for Buster.
                        Daisy & Noodle - 9 yr old Lab mix dx 1/09 ~ 51lbs ~ 38U Humulin N, 2x ~ 1 3/4 cups am/pm Blue Buffalo dry, 1/4 can am/pm BB Wilderness.

Comment

Just thought I would let everyone know on 7-26 I sent for my Blue Buffalo $5.00 off coupon & it arrived today in the mail!

Here is the link again for anyone interested

http://bluebuff.com/sample/true-blue-results.php

Comment

Hi everyone - haven't posted in awhile but I've been trying to keep up to date with everyone's "goings on" Have a situation - Dozer started on 27 units last night 9pm per the vets recommendation after I did a 24 hour curve Saturday night (will post that later). This morning 9am he was 184; I fed him his 2 cups of BB WC and tested him at 9:30 - he was at 113 - held off on shot & tested at 10am - 105! Gave him a small milk bone and tested again at 10:30 - 155. Will test again at 11am & see where he is at but I still haven't given him his shot that he normally gets between 9 & 9:30........what do I do? Give him 1/2 IF his 11am reading is more than 155? Not sure what to do here & would welcome any suggestions. The vet is not in today I've already called her..........

Comment

Originally posted by Tikobird View Post
                              Hi everyone - haven't posted in awhile but I've been trying to keep up to date with everyone's "goings on" Have a situation - Dozer started on 27 units last night 9pm per the vets recommendation after I did a 24 hour curve Saturday night (will post that later). This morning 9am he was 184; I fed him his 2 cups of BB WC and tested him at 9:30 - he was at 113 - held off on shot & tested at 10am - 105! Gave him a small milk bone and tested again at 10:30 - 155. Will test again at 11am & see where he is at but I still haven't given him his shot that he normally gets between 9 & 9:30........what do I do? Give him 1/2 IF his 11am reading is more than 155? Not sure what to do here & would welcome any suggestions. The vet is not in today I've already called her..........
                              Lori,
                              Everyone does things a bit different, so I'll tell you what I would probably do. Are you going to be home with Dozer? Did the insulin dose increase from 25u to 27u? Was trying to find the info quickly and saw 25 on your signature.

Patty
                              more to follow...
                              Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Kevin had a similar issue with Ozzi several months back http://www.k9diabetes.com/forum/show...t=1706&page=12.

I would think a decrease of 25% would be appropriate if Dozer is definitely on the rise. He may have had some overlap from the last shot which pushed him lower this morning and the food didn't have a chance to catch up.

Comment

Working...
                                X