Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New and I think I'm giving too much Vetsulin

HI there

My 12 yr old yellow lab Kayla (74lbs) was just diagnosed Thursday with Diabetes. They wanted me to come in right away to show me how to give her the insulin shots. The vet tech told me to give her 17units every 12 hours. Showed me how and all... and stressed that I had to do it close to every 12 hours. I have been doing so since Friday but I just happened to read the bottle in detail and it says 17units every 24 hours. I'm kind of freaking out because I think I'm giving her too much! I called the emergency vet and they said I should go with what the vet tech said and not what's on the bottle. I need advice for tomorrow as my vet isn't opened till Monday. Should I continue with this dosage or should I start cutting it in half every 12 hours? I'm very new to this and don't want to hurt my dog....

Thanks ahead of time..

Jennifer

Re: New and I think I'm giving too much Vetsulin

Welcome to the forum!
    Only have a second, but wanted to answer your question. Most of the insulins used with our pups are given every 12 hours. Vetsulin / Caninsulin is sometimes tried for 24 hours, but almost never lasts that long so it is usually best to start on 12 hour dosing. What type of insulin are you using?

Craig
    Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Jennifer,

Welcome here. I have no idea how much is correct for Kayla's weight, but I will search for a few minutes and see what I can come up with because I am 100% certain I have seen the members who have been here a long time talking about how much is a 'sound' beginning dose/lb. Let's see, Snowball was 5.8lbs when we should up a few weeks ago. Vet Rxd 2.5u BID, but I was nicely but firmly informed here that was too much! Sure enough, we are at 0.5u and any more would have surely done him in. I think the original suggestion was 1u/his weight.

So I will see what I can find, but as hard as it is to sit tight, I am CONFIDENT that between now and tomorrow morning you will absolutely have a good answer from a member who is more of an expert with this. I just know how it feels to be sitting there 'refreshing' the page and waiting and hoping to get some lifeline. We are here.
      Kristie & Snowball 8+yo? BROWN male Min Pin ; Dx 06-11-14; 6.8lbs! but 12lbs would be better!; 2 meals q D of chicken, broccoli, red beans, and oatmeal; 1u Novolin N BID; Testing with Relion Prime; cataracts. Lives with Fangie (8yo Rat Terrier), Mari (6mo old Rat Terrier), and three 4yos!!!

Comment

Originally posted by CraigM View Post
        Welcome to the forum!
        Only have a second, but wanted to answer your question. Most of the insulins used with our pups are given every 12 hours. Vetsulin / Caninsulin is sometimes tried for 24 hours, but almost never lasts that long so it is usually best to start on 12 hour dosing. What type of insulin are you using?

Craig

Oh, see! Excellent! You got an moderator!!! So you are going to be in good hands. There will be others along shortly.
        Kristie & Snowball 8+yo? BROWN male Min Pin ; Dx 06-11-14; 6.8lbs! but 12lbs would be better!; 2 meals q D of chicken, broccoli, red beans, and oatmeal; 1u Novolin N BID; Testing with Relion Prime; cataracts. Lives with Fangie (8yo Rat Terrier), Mari (6mo old Rat Terrier), and three 4yos!!!

Comment

Thanks for your responses. I'm giving her Vetsulin - U40 syringes. I spoke to the ER Vet again and they said it sounds like I'm giving her the correct dosage. I'm a little concerned now though with my vet as they gave me no discharge papers and I didn't know what signs to look for if she's in trouble. The ER tech told me if she seems drunk or a staggered walk I should bring her in. This is all so new and I can tell I need to read up more on this

Comment

Ok, actually have a few more minutes than I thought

A normal starting dosage for Vetsulin and NPH style insulins is often .2 units per pound, so Kayla is just a smudge over what many would start with at 17 units for 74 pounds. The difference between 14ish and 17 units probably isn't anything to worry about.

What is she eating? Are you having any trouble getting her to eat? It's important that you feed a consistent amount along with the insulin (I use a kitchen scale to weigh out my Annie's food). If Kayla doesn't eat a full meal be prepared to give a reduced dosage. Something like 1/4 dosage with no food eaten, ½ dosage with half a meal. But it's really important to get on a firm schedule.

Any other medical conditions / medications? Is she spayed?

Craig
            Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Welcome Jennifer and your dog Kayla to the forum.

Ditto what Craig posted
              The 17 twice a day every 12 hours is a great starting point.
              Injecting once a day probably wont regulate Kayla.

What food is she eating?

mo
              Last edited by k9diabetes; 07-08-2014, 10:06 PM. Reason: Natalie
              Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
              20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

Here's a good general article that may be of interest: http://www.2ndchance.info/diabetesdog.htm

Comment

If she acts drunk, wobbles its probably because theres too much insulin causing a sudden drop in her blood sugar called hypoglycemia.

the treatment is to have some Karo syrup on hand and rub it on her gums followed by her food.

I started home testing with my dog, got a meter, some strips, lancets and i still test Riles 4 x a day at home so i have control of his blood sugar and know when he goes low or high to treat him.

ask away any questions you have, gotta run
                  Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
                  20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

She's eating Prescription Diet W/D. The Vet sold it to me and recommended it. I'm only on day 2 but she does eat at consistent times twice a day and I wait until she's almost done with her food to give her the shot. She's standing still at the time so it seems convenient.

She is spayed. No other major health conditions at this time. She did have Pancreatitis when she was younger and almost died a few times but her alergy meds were causing it and we haven't had any issues with it for about 5 years. I'm thinking that's why she has developed diabetes because her pancreas is so messed up from years ago .

Comment

Originally posted by Riliey and Mo View Post
                      If she acts drunk, wobbles its probably because theres too much insulin causing a sudden drop in her blood sugar called hypoglycemia.

the treatment is to have some Karo syrup on hand and rub it on her gums followed by her food.

I started home testing with my dog, got a meter, some strips, lancets and i still test Riles 4 x a day at home so i have control of his blood sugar and know when he goes low or high to treat him.

ask away any questions you have, gotta run
                      Great Advice!! Thanks!!

Comment

Originally posted by CraigM View Post
                        Here's a good general article that may be of interest: http://www.2ndchance.info/diabetesdog.htm
                        TY!, I will def read this

Comment

Welcome! I know it is very scary and overwhelming at first but it gets easier and becomes routine in no time.

17 units is a pretty aggressive starting dose. I would have rather see them start at 14 units which is 1/5 unit per pound. That concerns me but some vets are aggressive.

Vetsulin works best split in two doses so that part is correct.

What are you feeding her and how much? Are you following the twelve hour schedule - meals/shot separated by 12 hours?
                          Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Originally posted by amydunn19 View Post
                            Welcome! I know it is very scary and overwhelming at first but it gets easier and becomes routine in no time.

17 units is a pretty aggressive starting dose. I would have rather see them start at 14 units which is 1/5 unit per pound. That concerns me but some vets are aggressive.

Vetsulin works best split in two doses so that part is correct.

What are you feeding her and how much? Are you following the twelve hour schedule - meals/shot separated by 12 hours?
                            She's eating Prescription Diet W/D. 2 cups twice a day. Yes, the 12 hours schedule is what I am following. I give her a shot just as she's finishing her meal.

Comment

Most of us test our dog's blood sugar at home. Many vets don't push testing or even encourage it but you don't need permission to test. It gives you a little more peace of mind than looking for signs - some dogs never show signs of hypoglycemia. Plus, many dogs don't like to be at the vet's office for curves. Anxiety will skew the numbers.

We can help you get started - it is not as scary as it might seem.
                              Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Working...
                              X