Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 03-01-2020, 08:24 AM
Founding Member

Default Re: Jesse girl

Time for an update on Jesse . It is her 10 year sugarversary . At 15.5 she is a little old lady now . she is slower sometimes steps in her water dish and her bodily functions may not get her outside at times but there is something special having an older dog . My mom is 90 and they kind of remind me of each other except jesse does not need a walker . Its been over 4 years that she has had a seizure from epilepsy which she had as a puppy It shows you can avoid medication and a dog can still live a long life with the disease . Why it went away I wish I new and jesse is not talking . Her sugar has been in that 100 to 250 and we are down to one test day as she has protested a bit on testing so I said ok jesse I think we can do this safely with one test . The rabbits are way ahead of her now but she can still locate them with her nose . I never had an older dog before and with jesse its very special . She is more affectionate and loving . Her younger 6 month old french bulldog cousin is a little much for her as he comes out like a battling ram at her but she can hold her own . Young whipper snapper . We take one day at a time and enjoy everyday and dont worry about the small stuff . We give thanks to the forum for her long life with the disease .
Jesse-26 lbs - 15.5 years old - 10 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of Novolin a day sometimes Novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar but that is rare. total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 8 and 10 units of NPH insulin depending on her fasting number
Old 03-02-2020, 01:33 AM

Happy 10th Sugarversary Jesse!

Ten years...so amazing. Just proves what love and determination can accomplish.

Give Jesse lots of hugs and kisses from me and Daisy OXOXOXO
Daisy 11 1/2 y/o 20lb Mini Schnauzer - 115g chicken breast, 45g chana dal, 55g green beans all chopped in a food processor, 20g Hills Perfect Weight, 1 tbs pumpkin, 5.5 units Novolin N q12h. Other meds-1/4t d-mannose twice daily, 1 Proviable DC daily, 1 multivitamin, 1/4t ground eggshells each meal, 1200mcg methyl B12 daily, 5mg zyrtec daily
Old 03-02-2020, 05:04 AM

Congratulations to Jesse! She is an inspiration to me and Lily.
Nulo Adult Trim Cod & Lentils, Pumpkin, FortiFlora, Dasuquin, Thyroxine
Old 03-02-2020, 06:59 AM
Founding Member

Thanks Mike and Daisy

She is such a love
Jesse-26 lbs - 15.5 years old - 10 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of Novolin a day sometimes Novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar but that is rare. total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 8 and 10 units of NPH insulin depending on her fasting number
Old 03-03-2020, 05:46 AM
Founding Member

Happy Sugarversary, Jesse.

Old dogs are the sweetest and my Hank was exactly like my 95 year old mother. Could hardly walk or see, deaf, and always confused. But the years of being together and love make it worth the inconvenience.

Bonnie and Angel Crissy Ann
Old 03-03-2020, 06:37 AM
Founding Member

Well said Bonnie

thank you
Old 03-03-2020, 06:53 AM

An amazing achievement. Glad that you have the right attitude and skills to keep things stable.
My dog Riley just had his 3 year sugarversary in February, I almost forgot about it.
His BG seems like it'll never be steady but it is what it is.
Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.
Old 03-03-2020, 07:10 AM
Founding Member

Thanks Raysaint congrats on 3 years

Jesse is similar as I could never guess what her numbers would be at testing time but they usually fell into a safe adequate range for the most part

We were told by the vet jesse would live at best 3 years she will go blind in short order so I look at that 3 year anniversary as pivotal and your pup has surpassed that . Keep up the good work

I have jesse on milk thistle for the last couple years . I have added B-12 for the last 6 months and I think it does improve health and is helpful
Old 03-06-2020, 06:31 PM
Founding Member

I love Jesse updates. xoxo
Old 03-06-2020, 06:56 PM
Founding Member

Thanks Judi she is amazing and happy to be part of the forum family