Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:58 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Isabella Kelly (Diabetes Mellitus & Cushing's Disease)

I just added Crissy Ann's photos to her story in the Stories Section.

http://www.k9diabetes.com/forum/show...?p=451#post451

It is hard to look at that first photo... poor Crissy looks so miserable! But fortunately it's followed by her recovered picture, which is gorgeous.

Natalie
Old 10-08-2009, 10:32 AM

Post Re: Isabella Kelly (UTI)

Just curious, Bella's been on Baytril for an UTI. She finished her last pill yesterday but still has to pee often. Tinkle here, a tinkle there. Her water consumption has slowed down a lot, but she still drinks often (which the vet told me she might do- waiting to test for Cushing's). I'm just concerned- with the water consumption, I expected her to have longer streams of urine. Wouldn't the Baytril have knocked out the infection already?
Old 10-08-2009, 10:48 AM
Founding Moderator

When the UTI was diagnosed, did Bella have a urine culture? There are times when it's difficult to get rid of an infection with those who have diabetes, because the diabetes affects the immune system.

If you believe Bella still has the UTI, I think I'd ask the vet to check the urine with a culture. Sometimes this is the only way to find infections which give few "clues" as to their either being there or still being there.

We had this happen with my non-diabetic recently. He'd used Clavamox for his UTI, and from outward signs, it appeared to be gone. In the meantime, I saw him pass a drop of blood; the results of that was he had bladder stones and needed surgery.

After the surgery, the urine culture said that the Clavamox didn't get rid of the infection entirely. By doing the culture, it also indicated that Baytril was a better antibiotic choice for getting rid of that particular bacteria.

HTH!

Kathy
Old 10-08-2009, 03:47 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Forbin had to be cultured as well. He was on Baytril last UTI and needed Clavamox. My vet always starts them on Baytril, cultures and then if need be switches over to another antibiotic that will get to the bacteria.
Old 10-08-2009, 04:35 PM

Default Re: UTI follow up

Bella & I just got back from the Vet. She's gain 2 lbs. Blood sugar/urine good to go. Insulin is doing it's job. She's schedule for Cushing's testing tomorrow. We discussed the different tests for Cushing's. My vet will be sending blood work off UT@Knox. if she doesn't test positive. He wouldn't confirm or agree at this point that she might have it, but said he would be very surprise if the test came back negative (he did indicate all the physical signs are present). So first test is ACTH Stim test. If no positive result, she comes back for low dose dex test, if still no positive results, blood work will be sent to UT@Knox.

So, hopefully I'll know what's going on tomorrow. Thanks Bonnie and Natalie for sharing Chrissy Ann's story with me. Although it brings me to tears when I read it, it gives me the courage, determination & hope for my Bella. I pray she doesn't have Cushing's but if she does than she does & we'll go from there.

Thanks everyone for the support. I'm surprise I'm not a raging alcoholic at this point...

-Sam
Old 10-08-2009, 04:51 PM
Founding Member

Default Re: UTI follow up

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasing_bella View Post
We discussed the different tests for Cushing's. My vet will be sending blood work off UT@Knox ... So first test is ACTH Stim test. If no positive result, she comes back for low dose dex test, if still no positive results, blood work will be sent to UT@Knox.
Hi Sam,

I haven't posted to you before but have been reading your thread.

Just wanted to point out that if you're going to do an ACTH stimulation test anyway, it might be a good idea to have the full ACTH stim/adrenal panel done by UTenn@Knoxville, where they will measure for Cortisol, Estradiol, Androstenedione, 17-Hydroxyprogesterone, Progesterone and Aldosterone, instead of just the regular ACTH stim test where they only measure the cortisol levels. (This may be what your Vet is planning to do, but if so, it wasn't really clear to me from your post)

The actual test (ie number of blood draws etc) is the same, the only difference is how many hormones the Lab actually will analyse.

If the cortisol is elevated but the other hormones are normal, then you may be looking at "regular" Cushing's - either Pituitary or adrenal dependant. If the cortisol is normal but one or more of the other adrenal hormones is "off" that would be consistent with what they call "atypical Cushing's"

Here's a link to where they mention the various tests that UTenn can perform on the blood samples:

http://www.vet.utk.edu/diagnostic/en...ts_info_07.pdf

Look at 3,g:

Quote:
Adrenal Panel for Dogs and Cats (ACTH Stim) -Test for congenital adrenohyperplasia-like syndrome (dogs, cats), or Alopecia-X, Atypical Cushings Syndrome:

Note: All Adrenal function tests use serum samples.

*Adrenal panels are batch-run weekly (DHEAS is no longer available)

i. Collect baseline serum sample (2.0 ml.).
ii. Centrifuge sample as soon as possible, separate and freeze.
iii. Administer the ACTH Stim test as above (3A). Collect Post-ACTH serum sample (2.0 ml) at 1 hr (2 hrs if gel-ACTH is used).
iv. Centrifuge sample as soon as possible, separate and freeze. (NOTE: If samples are grossly hemolyzed, repeat test in one week).

1. The following hormones will be assayed: Cortisol, Estradiol, Androstenedione, 17-Hydroxyprogesterone, Progesterone and Aldosterone.
Once you've had the blood sent to UTenn's Lab for analysis and particularly if you have the full ACTH stim/Adrenal panel run instead of just the ACTH stim test, Dr. Oliver at UTenn witll be able to give you his input on Isabella's case. Dr. Oliver is considered by many to be the "guru" where Atypical Cushing's is concerned.

And here's where you can read more about "Atypical Cushing's" at the Cushing's message board (where I know you have already also joined up)

http://www.k9cushings.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198

Last edited by acushdogsmom; 10-08-2009 at 04:57 PM.
Old 10-10-2009, 03:35 PM
Founding Member

Just wanted to post the link to Sam and Bella's thread at the Canine Cushing's board, so anyone here who wants to see what has been said over there can follow along.

http://www.k9cushings.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1295
Old 11-16-2009, 01:08 PM

Default Re: Isabella Kelly Update

Just wanted to update you guys:

Results came back from UT... She doesn't have Cushing's but came back with a recommendation to test in 6 months again. Also, no thyroid problems.

So we are just dealing with the diabetes (and preexisting illnesses).

She's maintaining her weight at 25 lbs and still receives 17 units of insulin x 2 daily. She misses her doggie biscuits but has settled for the fresh veggie snacks (especially peeled cucumbers).

All in all, Bella is doing really well

Thanks everyone for all the support. Giving Bella her shots is second nature now, no big deal Next step, home testing.

God Bless,
Isabella & Samantha
Old 11-16-2009, 04:19 PM
Founding Member

Hi Samantha,

Quote:
Results came back from UT... She doesn't have Cushing's but came back with a recommendation to test in 6 months again. Also, no thyroid problems
GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
All in all, Bella is doing really well
Happy to hear that Bella is doing well . Good luck with the home testing. Hugs to you and Bella.

Lynne and Angel Lady 7/98-3/09 Forever in my heart
Old 11-16-2009, 06:36 PM
Administrator

That's great news!

I skimmed very quickly and must have missed it - are you using Vetsulin or NPH?

You've probably seen the posts are the FDA alert regarding Vetsulin and lots of dogs switching.

Natalie