Diabetic Neuropathy/ Very Scared!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diabetic Neuropathy/ Very Scared!

My 9 year old Chesapeake Bay Retriever was diagnosed a little over a week ago with diabetes: Blood sugar of 600. Two days into insulin therapy of 10 units Novolin N every 12 hours he began losing muscle control in his back legs. Seven days later his back legs bow outward completely and he is almost unable to stand at all. We have to assist him outside and hold him upright to go to the bathroom. We go back on Monday for a recheck with the vet to talk about making changes to the insulin levels, but the last home test was 436. His appetite is only ok. He still drinks a lot, but brightens up around our other Chesapeakes.

Is this condition likely to reverse? My vet hasn't even heard of it in dogs, only cats! I'm pretty freaked out!

Re: Diabetic Neuropathy/ Very Scared!

Hello and welcome!

Yes - if it is diabetic neuropathy it is reversible.

Our dog had severe neuropathy just after he was first diagnosed. It was awful to see him unable to stand and we had to help him to get up or toilet or even stand up to eat. He also seemed to lose control over his tail - as if his rear end had all gone numb. He was exceedingly tired and he slept virtually all the time and lost a lot of weight - looked like a dog on the way out and the vet cheeringly told us he would be dead within three weeks. That was in December 2012 and he is actually still very much alive today.

We just gave him his insulin and gave him lavish amounts of B12 methylcobalamin. There is some research that suggests it might help and we had nothing to lose.

After about two weeks we thought we could see tiny signs of improvement. gradually they became more obvious and he ended up regaining all his strength so that he could run again and even jump up at the gate standing on his hind legs.

All that was more than four and a half years ago and now he is getting a bit less agile on his legs due to old age but for the vast majority of that time you would never have known that he had had a problem.

It does take time and you have to give them time to get better.

You should also get your vet to check that it isn't due to anything else but it sounds as if your vet has pretty much diagnosed it already.

Stick with it and give him lots of time!

Hope it improves!

Antonia
    Eddie - Lab x golden retriever. Weighed 63lbs. Ate Canagan. Diagnosed October 2012. 13units of Caninsulin twice a day. Had EPI as well as diabetes. Died 20 June 2017. Loved forever.

Comment

Thank you!

Yes, all other levels were normal and his physical a few months earlier was very good with only minor arthritis. We will start the B-12 Methlcobalamine. I have 5000mcg ones I take, is that too much/not enough? We keep going then. It's always good to know others have been there! Thanks again!

Comment

This link has some info. You should ask your vet about a proper dosage, or the best form of the supplement for a dog.

http://petdiabetes.wikia.com/wiki/Neuropathy
        Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

Methyl-B12 Methyl-B12

I was looking online for Methyl-B12 for my diabetic pup. Be sure to check the ingredients on the label. A popular recommended brand lists Xylitol in the ingredients. Just check and double check.

"Even small amounts of xylitol can cause hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), seizures, liver failure or even death in dogs."

Other ingredients: Xylitol, microcrystalline cellulose (plant fiber), croscarmellose sodium, crospovidone, carboxymethyl cellulose, citric acid, natural cherry flavor, hydroxypropyl cellulose, hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, calcium palmitate, silica, vegetable juice color [gum arabic, vegetable juice (beet, black carrot, purple sweet potato, red cabbage, red radish), maltodextrin, citric acid], stevia extract (Stevia rebaudiana) (leaf).

Even small amounts of xylitol can cause hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), seizures, liver failure or even death in dogs.

Comment

The dosage is 67mcg per pound. GNC has 2500 mcg caplets that do not have any ingredients that will harm your pup.

http://www.gnc.com/vitamin-b12-cobal...SABEgLwcfD_BwE
            Daisy 12 1/2 y/o 20lb Mini Schnauzer - 115g chicken breast, 45g chana dal, 55g green beans all chopped in a food processor, 20g Hills Perfect Weight, 1 tbs pumpkin, 8 units Novolin N q12h. Other meds-1/4t d-mannose twice daily, 1 Proviable DC daily, 1 multivitamin, 1/4t ground eggshells each meal, 1200mcg methyl B12 daily, 5mg zyrtec daily

Comment

Re: Diabetic Neuropathy Methylcobalamin DOSE?

How much Methylcobalamin should I give my 75 lb Jackson?

Recently diagnosed with diabetes and we are still working toward regulating his sugar levels. Monitoring with human meter till AlphaTRAK arrives hopefully today or tomorrow. Regular vet failed us. We are in search of another vet. Veterinary Specially Hospital has been our go-to lately but very expensive.
              He tires easily on walks and just lays down to rest. He wants to go longer and farther because we have always walked 30-45 mins 2 xs every day since adoption 15 yrs ago. I hope and pray he that his legs and energy level will allow him to get back to his usual routine.

Thanks for the link to GNC. I didn't think to look there.

Comment

you might want to test sugar before and after walk and you may want to check when he wants to rest during if you haven't to see what blood sugar is doing at this time

blood sugar can drop on walks and it can be dramatic . even high sugar can make them more lethargic

my jesse even after almost 8 years she goes through times she isnt interested in her morning walk on some occasions
                Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

We gave our dog a lot of b12 since we felt we had nothing to lose. He was getting regular injections of b12 from the vet and we also gave him several human “one per day” tablets of it every day. My understanding was that they just pee out any excess.
                  Our dog was usually very active but when he had the neuropathy he slept nearly all day for several weeks. He couldn’t walk at all for a while then for quite a few weeks he could only stagger into the garden and back. We just let him choose what he did (no walks as such) and he mostly chose to sleep, then just gradually got better and back to his old self. It did take a long time though(and he was somewhat younger than your dog which I guess might make a difference).
                  Hope your dog feels better soon
                  Antonia
                  Eddie - Lab x golden retriever. Weighed 63lbs. Ate Canagan. Diagnosed October 2012. 13units of Caninsulin twice a day. Had EPI as well as diabetes. Died 20 June 2017. Loved forever.

Comment

Working...
                  X