X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Abby Diagnosed about 4 weeks ago

Originally posted by HarrysMom View Post
    Where did you hear this?
    Here is another link, but it is surrounding Milk Thistle.

http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-...lk_thistle.htm
    Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

To round out Abby's day yesterday, here are the complete numbers:

Insulin/Fed 4.5 Units
      7:00 186
      Walk 7;05-7:30
      8:05 98
      11:45 89
      2:08 103
      4:08 128
      5:45 189 Fed
      6:00 Insulin 4.25 units
      8:00 95
      9:39 92 - Sweet Potatoe treat (I dehydrate them myself)

Today her first reading prior to any food or insulin
      6:42 285
      6:45 Fed/Insulin 4.5 units
      7:00 Walk
      7:50 170

I had lowered her units to 4.25 but it did seem like she used her insulin quickly, to have a rise (not sure if it was sharp), or perhaps the sweet potatoe??. Thank you Natalie, I will put some white rice in there and see if we can get more even numbers above the 100 and lower than 200
      Last edited by Abby's Mom; 07-13-2011, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Interesting. Thanks.

Comment

Unless you tested your meter against the vet's at bot LOW and HIGH numbers, you can't simply add the same numbers to all the results.
          At LOW numbers,. the differences are often a lot less.
          I didn't know this, but will take this into consideration. The reading was done when the Vet's numbers were 230, and my meter read 203.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by jesse girl View Post
            I would enjoy any info on raw diets i believe it works very well for diabetic dogs it has been a godsend for jesse
            I will be picking up the book this afternoon or tomorrow. I will share with you what I can regarding raw diet and diabetes. Here is a link of the book that I am expecting:

http://www.b-naturals.com/raw-and-na...de-meals-p-122

I will keep you posted.

Comment

Lew Olson's book is a good one. She not only covers raw diets but homemade and adding fresh to kibble as well. I think each dog is different with regard to what what works for regulation though.

It looks to me as though you have a pretty good thing going with regard to numbers. Adding the white rice may help with the early drop.

Patty
              Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Originally posted by Patty View Post
                Lew Olson's book is a good one. She not only covers raw diets but homemade and adding fresh to kibble as well.
                Patty

Patty,

The book that I am getting is written by Lew Olson.... Thanks for confirming my choice.

Yes, I gave Abby some white bread today (couldn't make the white rice quick enough), and her level just raised a bit and it seems to have evened out. I am just so excited that I may have her in her range, and almost regulated. I just can't thank everyone enough!!

Comment

Posting today's numbers:

6:42 285 (this may have something to do with me giving her only 4.25 units)
                  10:39 85 (gave her some white bread)
                  12:49 119
                  2:37 135
                  4:06 156

I think using the white rice may be in the plan for this evening and see if she doesn't get the drop a few hours after her insulin as she tends to drop a bit quickly.

Comment

Have you checked to see if morning walk is also contributing to the drop? My dog's BG tends to drop around 150 for a mile walk in the morning. Otherwise, he rises.

Comment

Have you checked to see if morning walk is also contributing to the drop? My dog's BG tends to drop around 150 for a mile walk in the morning. Otherwise, he rises.
                      I find that in the evening when I do not give her a walk, her BG levels will drop as well. I don't really see a difference between morning and evening. I let her walk at her own pace, so it is never a hard walk. She is mainly off her leash, so she either will keep up with me, or sometimes speeds right past me.

Comment

Abby's levels are looking great aren't they? You have worked so hard for her.

The natural diet a lot of you use is intriguing but I can't even think of going there right now.

yay for Abby and her Mom!

Judi
                        Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Originally posted by Poodles View Post
                          The natural diet a lot of you use is intriguing but I can't even think of going there right now.

Judi
                          Judi,

Actually what prompted me in going to the raw diet was the possibility of her having Cushings. Did you know that a low-purine diet is good for a dog that has Cushings. Of course, you can not think of doing this with dog food. So, I decided to take the plunge, and it has really been working out well. Let me know if you are ever interested, not that I am an expert, but I have have done a lot of research.
                          Last edited by Abby's Mom; 07-14-2011, 06:30 AM.

Comment

I may. I've read your thread and am impressed by how well Abby is doing with all of the changes you have made. I will be discussing diet with Jenny's opthamologist on Friday. Yay more vet appointments.
                            Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Abby's numbers were really good yesterday, and if we did dip below 100, it wasn't for long and not by much. In addition it had a nice steady incline (slow increments each 2 hrs) till her next shot. She did have a high number yesterday am, but I think that was only giving her 4.25 units in the evening, in addition with her drop.

I wanted to say Thank you for the idea by adding some Carbs to her diet. It seemed to have done the trick. After her walk this morning she did not plument, but she is slowly declining. Fasting number was 215, and after her being fed/insulin.... walk ... she is at 161. Normally this is when I start seeing a major drop.

I think we are getting there....

Here are the numbers from yesterday and today:

6:42 285 (this may have something to do with me giving her only 4.25 units)
                              10:39 85 (gave her some white bread)
                              12:49 119
                              2:37 135
                              4:06 156
                              6:45 Fed/Insulin
                              6:46 217
                              8:23 107

6:50 215
                              6:52 Fed/Insulin
                              7:00 walk
                              8:16 161

Comment

well abby is settling in quite nicely the diet seems to work well with the insulin and the extra carb may do the trick to slow the drop a bit wonderful job
                                Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                                Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Working...
                                X