My Pretty Prissy Girl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My Pretty Prissy Girl

I kept Graham Crackers available for this, just something carby, don't over do it tho.

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog

Comment

I thin sliced a medium potato with a little salt and microwaved it. I gave her two thin slices just now at 2:15.

...and she is fussing for more...
      Prissy, born October 2004, min pin, diagnosed 10.8.2014

Comment

Well, now I know what I'm going to give her with her chicken for supper tonight, lol! She really liked the potatoes!

Comment

Are you not feeding her a consistent/well balanced diet?

Be sure to check the sugar level to make sure it is rising and not continuing to drop.
          Last edited by eileen; 06-05-2016, 11:48 AM.

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog

Comment

Yes, I am feeding her a consistent well balanced diet. This is the first time we have had trouble in almost two years. Why do you ask?

Comment

3:15 (had trouble getting a reading) - 74 (divided by .7) = 105.71

3:20 - 2 thin slices potato treats

Comment

wow pretty substantial drop with the increase

I am with eileen as to i dont do any conversions with my human meter. i take the numbers as is

craig with his conversions he does a detailed comparison with the pet meter

the comparison needs to be done at lower levels and higher levels and it would be nice to cover the whole spectrum

the reason for this at higher levels i have seen my human meter read lower compared to a vets lab analyzer . they did a test with my human meter at 500 and compared to the lab which was 350 . THese meters get a bit squirrely at higher levels

so the point i am making with your test on your meter at 400 and you adjust that to 600 . it has the potential to be substantially off and in jesses case that 400 may have been 350 in reality with jesses vet comparison

now i maybe trending this as a possibility because of the substantial drop with the one unit increase with blood sugar at an adjusted number at around 600 or higher just doesn't make sense dropping over 600 points with that increase

nothing is written in stone and everyone has there own way of doing things . You just have to be sure if you making conversions it is correct at all levels of blood sugar for your particular pup
                Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

(All the numbers prior to last night at 10:30 were numbers with no insulin on board for over 48 hours.

These are the adjusted numbers since then:

June 4

10 pm - 661.42 no insulin on board
                  10 - 10:25 pm - 1/3 cup meal
                  10:30 pm - 2 units Vetsulin (first dose)

June 5

12:30 am - 410
                  09:00 am - 302.85
                  09:15 - 09:30 am - 1/3 cup meal
                  09:30 am - 2.5 units Vetsulin
                  09:45 am - 1/2 of a 3 inch chewie
                  11:30 am - 221.42
                  01:15 pm - 1/4 walnut
                  01:30 pm - 97.14
                  02:20 pm - 2 potato slices
                  03:15 pm - 105.71
                  03:25 pm - 2 potato slices
                  05:10 pm - 131:42
                  07:15 pm - 148.57
                  09:10 pm - 317.14
                  09:15 pm - 09:30 pm - 1 cup potato, chicken, and green beans
                  09:35 pm - 2.5 units Vetsulin
                  Last edited by Elodie; 06-05-2016, 06:57 PM. Reason: Added newest bg reading

Comment

what was the dose before the low blood sugar event ?

both of you are doing a good job at testing
                    Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .

Comment

Originally posted by jesse girl View Post
                      what was the dose before the low blood sugar event ?

both of you are doing a good job at testing

It was 6 units. She had been eating about 1 1/2 - 2 cups of food though.

Comment

I just added the latest reading in my 5:37 pm post.
                        104 (divided by .7) = 148.57

Comment

wow thats a substantial drop off . the dose may have originally been to much and the body was able to keep up with it for awhile till she crashed

numbers look really good . should not see any appetite problems due to blood sugar at those levels

Comment

Prissy ate a whole cup of food!!! I made her boiled chicken, green beans, and potato with a little bit of parmesan cheese. She ate almost all of it!!

Her bg was 317.14 (222 divided by .7)

Comment

Yay, Prissy! I know it is tough when they aren't eating. Hope this continues.
                              Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Originally posted by amydunn19 View Post
                                Yay, Prissy! I know it is tough when they aren't eating. Hope this continues.
                                Thanks, Amy!

Prissy is doing well today. I am keeping her at 2.5 units of Vetsulin twice a day for now and will do another blood curve in a week. Any thoughts?

Thank you to all for the help yesterday and Saturday!

Comment

Working...
                                X