Josie-Absolutely unable to do bg checks-please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Josie-Absolutely unable to do bg checks-please help

I've had Josie for 2 weeks (rescued) - she's a 12 year old pug with mobility issues, a kidney infection, eye and ear infections on top of her diabetes.

I know how important home testing is (had a db cat for 7 years).

She throws a fit and goes into panic when I try to test - I've tried ears, inner lip, paw pads - and then she fights me when I give her her shot.

She's had a curve at the vet (last week). Her bgs were high and we're going to do a curve this Wednesday.

The vet is thinking we might need to switch insulin and if that happens - then I know I have to be able to do checks and curves at home.

I'm really desperate at this point. She lost her owner in March and was neglected until abandond at the vet the week before I adopted her. Part of me hopes she just needs more time to adjust but then again, I know I'm playing Russian roulette with her life.

Any tricks that I might try?

Thank you.
    Josie was a beloved companion for 10 years. But she lost her mom and the family didn't keep its promise. After neglect, she became diabetic in May, 2016 and on July 18 she was relinquished to her vet. On July 19 I adopted her and on July 23 brought her home. She is so sweet and until she joins her mom she will know love, care and security.

Re: Josie-Absolutely unable to do bg checks-please help

Hi and welcome

practice test may help .not actually test and area and get a blood drop but just working and area with praise and treats during periods of the day for the pup and you to get use to the process the same can be done with shots
    Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
    Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Someone put a towel over their dog's head. We had a rough 7 days till my dog realized I was winning this battle. My girl behaved better when on a counter so I put her on the counter, braced her against my body with one arm, and had everything set to do one handed on the lip with my other. We bought Etta's duck jerky treats and she only got those after testing.

I like the idea of practicing to try to calm her down.

One woman had a kind vet tech who would stop be once a day until finally, her dog let her start doing it. Hang in there
      Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Do you have any idea how long she was diabetic? I didn't know if the vet knew since that is where you got her.

If she has only been on insulin for two weeks, the vet might be throwing in the towel a bit early. Considering the infections, the blood sugar may remain high until those are cleared.

In your case, she may need more time to adjust before you try to test at home. Although not ideal as we always promote testing, I am also a rescue mom myself and building trust takes time. Considering all the changes in her life, she might be more cooperative in a couple of weeks. You can also try the base of the tail or any bumps or skin tags. You can shave some hair, and warm the area just to the side of base of the tail. There don't appear to be many nerve endings there.

As far as enticing her, I would just reward her for letting you touch her at all. You can use some boiled chicken pieces or green beans. Maybe slowly work up to testing.
        Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Hope your vet find the best way to improve Josie's health and to control the diabetes.

Comment

KUDOS to you for taking Josie into a loving home. Agree with the thinking that the infections be cleared before even considering a change in insulin.

Given that Josie's only been with you a short time, she may not be real trusting just yet. She's had a rough go of it - being tossed out of a home environment she was comfortable with for 12 years, then to a cage in the vet's facility, ... then to you. No doubt, once you earn her trust, everything should get much better.
            Last edited by farrwf; 08-08-2016, 06:00 AM.
            Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

Is there someone to help you hold her while you test her/give her insulin?

I usually need to hold Mr Shadow while my husband gives the shot...

Then too it took us several attemps and I watched lots of videos showing different areas to draw a blood drop. Try more times & it will work...just like it worked for us!
              Mr. Shadow 11 year old mix breed, 21 lbs. , diabetes diagnosis Sept. 2015. Currently on 10 units Novolin N

Comment

Working...
              X