Stressing Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stressing Out

Love this forum BUT I never thought that I might have to come back.
    When I first joined Jan 2012 My Rockey (min-pin) was DX. I lost him 2 yrs ago. THANKS to everyone here I was able to finally give that fighter his injections and keep him with me for 2 1/2 yrs.
    His sister (no relation) Lolie Anne just turned 7 and this week I noticed her drinking a lot of water and losing a little weight. I started her on the W/D about 4 months ago in hopes of preventing diabetes.
    My plan tomorrow is to start testing her urine (working a long day today) before I head to the vet in hopes that it is just my imagination and the warm weather.
    My ex-husband has 3 min-pins and 2 of them have diabetes so I still have to give them injections when I watch them and it brings back such bad memories. But, I was able to teach him because of the wonderful help I found here.
    I am so totally stressed out worried that this is going to happen to her. If it is I know I will find the support I need here.
    ---------------------
    Cheryl & Lolie Anne 8 yr old min-pin, 14 pds DX 8-25-16
    starting Novolin N (now 3 units) Hills w/d canned and dry. Lost Rockey 8-28-13 to diabetes and Lolie was DX the same week 3 yrs later.

Re: Stressing Out

welcome back and hope it is your imagination

i am not sure feeding wd is going to make a difference but since its low fat that maybe helpful . I would think a low fat low glycemic and easily digestible food could be helpful

I have yet to see anyone catching it early and holding it off through diet but since you have the knowledge i guess its possible

this is all guess work until you get diagnosis . if you can test blood sugar that would probably tell you maybe a urine test but that would need to be confirmed with a blood test .

running a full panel at the vet maybe prudent
    Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
    Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Has any new and improved blood testing products become available since 2012 that are not too expensive until I find out for sure?

Also you mentioned using a different dog food any recommendations? I just purchased a new HUGE bag of W/D and the Vet saw me Sat and we talked about Rockey and he said Oh I see you are trying to prevent Lolie from getting it? I would have thought at that point he would have suggested something different. It wasn't an appointment just a food pick up.
      We also were just at the vet 4 moths ago for her vaccinations and she was fine and they suggested the W/D (she was a little over weight)
      I keep smelling her breath I think she thinks I am going nuts!
      ---------------------
      starting Novolin N (now 3 units) Hills w/d canned and dry. Lost Rockey 8-28-13 to diabetes and Lolie was DX the same week 3 yrs later.

Comment

I would just get an inexpensive human meter. you will need lancets and a device. i ordered a discount meter off ebay for jesse many moons ago . you could go to walmart and pick up there meter under the religion brand and get 50 strips

you may have to research a bit on food because we just dont see treatment for diabetic dogs through diet alone because they mostly seem to be injected insulin dependent so you my have to look at the human side of things to figure and or to get info

I went to a homemade diet human grade for jesse which is not the norm but i wanted more control over ingredients and what went into her food . her food is low glycemic highly nutritious so i am not feeding tons of food loaded with fillers which hopefully keeps her digestive system from not processing food all day . well that's the goal and it appears to work . not tons of pooh all over the yard
        Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .

Comment

Originally posted by glazzbabe View Post
          Has any new and improved blood testing products become available since 2012 that are not too expensive until I find out for sure?

Also you mentioned using a different dog food any recommendations? I just purchased a new HUGE bag of W/D and the Vet saw me Sat and we talked about Rockey and he said Oh I see you are trying to prevent Lolie from getting it? I would have thought at that point he would have suggested something different. It wasn't an appointment just a food pick up.
          We also were just at the vet 4 moths ago for her vaccinations and she was fine and they suggested the W/D (she was a little over weight)
          I keep smelling her breath I think she thinks I am going nuts!
          Some of us have been using the PetTest meter. Much less expensive than the AlphaTrak and seems to produce good results.
          https://www.amazon.com/Advocate-Gluc.../dp/B00WM2FQTO

Craig
          Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I am on my knees praying I do not have to do this again.
            I find it unbelievable that out of 5 min-pins that 3 had/have it and I do not want Lolie Anne to be 4 out 5.
            Going to get the meter tonight.
            I knew I could count on the support here.
            ---------------------

Comment

I hope you don't have to deal with this again either. When we were worried that my remaining poodle had developed cushings I wanted to weep.
              Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

thats an interesting thought since you have seen a percentage of your dogs becoming diabetic is there something that can be done to slow or even prevent the process in others that are not diabetic

i was pre diabetic and tht went away with diet with a vegetarian /fish diet

i went that direction with jesse but food is not going to make diabetes go away it is permanent for her

we have seen a couple dogs go vegetarian temporarily . i think it was for cholesterol issues or things related to that. there insulin needs dramatically dropped .my jesse is on a lower dose with 50 percent vegetable base diet

so something to think about hope your pup isn't diabetic but for me and jesse she really doesnt mind and i dont either she lives a happy dogs life
                Last edited by jesse girl; 08-22-2016, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Welcome back! Hope that is only your imagination. But in case we always here for you. I pray for you and for your doggy.

Comment

Morning, I didn't get the meter yesterday because I ordered one from Amazon for pets that Craig suggested.
                    I did do testing yesterday for ketones with the urine strips and they are totally neg.
                    I paid extra attention to everything she did yesterday. Did not drink much water wasn't fatigued playing and very normal. It seems that things change at night. She gets up around 11pm goes potty and then again around 2am.
                    She drinks a good amount at each time.
                    Funny I put her on that w/d to help her lose weight and try to prevent this.
                    Until I can get to the Vet I am going to get Blue Buffalo healthy and see what happens. She just seems so normal except for the drinking. I would have thought I would have seen some spike in the urine strips.
                    When Rockey had it I always had + urine strips.
                    any ideas are welcome!
                    ---------------------

Comment

I would probably go get blood sugar checked at the vet . if your pup is diabetic you may not want to wait to start insulin therapy

Comment

Preventing diabetes with food is practically impossible - most dogs get it because of genetics or maybe steroids or trauma to their pancreas or even for no particular reason just some bad luck. There are advantages to their health, of course, keeping their weight down. People often feel like they have done or not done something right and it really isn't their fault. It just happens.

Keep us posted.
                        Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Well...We went to the Vet tonight and she has it. Her level was a little over 400.
                          Tomorrow results of the other blood tests. Doc said that he thinks I caught it early because I knew what to look for. I told him I noticed some signs a week ago. It was the getting up at night and drinking more water at night. Nothing different during the day. Plus I was praying that I was wrong.
                          I still find it interesting that I started her on Hills W/D to get her weight down and try to prevent this plus more exercise 4 months ago and here we are.
                          Since it is so late and she has been though so much tonight I just could't bring myself to start the shots tonight he said no problem.
                          Do they usually have a temp with this? Her temp was 103+ and I need to check that tonight. I do not remember if Rockey did.
                          He is starting her on Novolin N ..1 unit 2 x a day. Of course our friendly Walmart for the 31 gauge needles!
                          Just a couple ?'s since it has been a while. I always gave Rockey his shot right after he ate. Does anyone wait a little while? He was a bad biter and I had to give him peanut butter in the sink on a spatula with a loaded syringe to give him his injections. If so how long did you wait.
                          I gave all my meters away ..do companies still give free meters? Doc wants us to do the urine strips.
                          Thanks for helping me years ago with Rockey. And Thanks for the future help with Lolie Anne. I will update my profile when I can.
                          ---------------------

Comment

the only reason most people wait to inject is if their dog is a puker. Otherwise most of us inject right after they eat.

Jenny didn't have a fever due to diabetes, I wonder if he has an ear infection or something?

diabetes can hit seemingly out of the blue. Like Amy said, don't beat yourself up.

keep us posted. Judi
                            Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

This seems to be a great deal on the PetTest meter system https://www.countrysidepet.com/produ...st-test-strips

If this special is done, you can usually find the PetTest for under $30 elsewhere on line. Of course you would want to get additional test strips.

Craig
                              Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Working...
                              X