Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Diabetic Veterinary Diets: Which Do/Have You Used?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Diabetic Veterinary Diets: Which Do/Have You Used?

I have been transitioning to completely raw I was supplementing it with blue buffalo weight control which I used for the drop she had at the end of her insulin cycle but her mountain curve changed to a normal curve and it is not needed so I went completely raw so far early in this routine the raw diet seems to keep her flatter her stools are smaller and less of it and firm jesse will be seven in october everybody thinks she is a puppy too she is a beagle she now can climb angeled trees can hop over a tumble weed like it is nothing I was worried a little at the beginning being she did have a serious case of pancratitis I have not seen any flare up so far with this diet
    Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
    Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

I have used Merick (certified low glycemic) and Origen ( also certified low glycemic). Both foods work well but I found a raw dog food and the Origen dry dog good to be my best combination.
      The food and insulin regiment worked well for over a year. Thenl Wal-mart changed their contract with Novolin N Insulin and started Humulin N. They told me there would be no difference and all of a sudden, I was dealing with too low blood sugar and now trying to regulate I have been too high. I'm changing back to Novolin N today, but want to know if anyone else has experienced this. I'm hoping I'm not dealing with her becoming insulin resistant. Anyone have any answers for me?

Comment

I have a newly diagnosed diabetic 6yr old pit bull (who also has cushings, hypothyroidism, epilepsy and only 3 legs!!!). She has severe IBD and is on a hydrolyzed protein diet. The vet wants to switch her to a diabetic food but the ones I have found are all chicken and rice which she is allergic to. Does anyone else have this problem and what do you feed your pup??

Comment

It has been almost three years since Cookie almost died before I found out she had diabetes. She had always been such a thin dog and her appetite was terrific, but I never guessed. Her sugar was 500 the day I took her to the vet. she takes 11 units of Humulin N twice a day and I only kept her on dog food for a short time. No matter what kind I tried she spiked terribly. The ony dog food she doesn't spike badly on is Orejen. It's expensive, but an excellent dog food that both my other dogs do eat. the only thing that works for cookie is preparing her meals-crockpot chicken, raw vegetable "glop" from the food processor, kidney or black beans. sometimes I'll process a raw egg and the shell in there. Some days she'll have canned mackerel, sardines or chicken livers and gizards (she loves that).I add green powder, vitamins (Alive 1 tablet), Vit C and my baby is "cookin'", If I deviate from this she has problems. It took over a year, but we've worked it all out and I haven't had to increase her insulin. I also have liquid magnesium from Trace Mineral Research and I add a couple of drops of that also. she's as blind as a bat, but happy and waggy at 14. Hope this helps.

Comment

Hi Everyone

Our dog, a Lhasa was diagnosed on Feb 3, 2012 with diabetes. On Feb 3rd he weighed 33 lbs. We purchased Royal Canin Diabetic Dog Food. He is presently on 2 cups per day. I do mix a tablespoon of the Science Diet low calorie wet food in with the dry with each meal.

Feb 15th we brought Chewy back to the vet's office for a follow-up. He weighed 31 lbs.

His progress is coming along very well. The ideal weight for him would be 27 lbs, 29 at the max so we've got a bit to go.

His energy level has increased steadily over the last several days. I'm sure there will be peaks and valleys headed our way but for now it appears we're on the right track.
            Chewy - 11 year old Lhasa Apso - 27 lbs - Diagnosed with diabetes 2/3/12 - 9 units Humulin twice daily - diet: Royal Canine Diabetes Blend Dry Dog Food

Comment

We are only a couple days into this adventure, but our vet is putting Shadow on Hills Science Prescription wet W/D and also W/D dry...so far he is eating it ok.

We had never given him wet, he was strictly a dry dog food guy. We always bought good brands and the correct mix for age, weight control etc.

The vet says that this brand guarantees 100% palatability or they will replace, so I think we will stick with it for now, especially being new to this game.

Comment

Chilli alternates between Hills W/D dry food and Royal Canin obestiy control. She "prefers" the royal canin but really finds both boring and used to turn her nose up at nearly every meal. In the last 5 months or so I have started adding a little something to every meal; not changing the calorific content or the sugar content. Eg a spoonfull of cottage cheese or ricotta (she LOVES this) a grating of parmesan, 100g of minced turkey or beef. I mix these in and she wolfs it down. I also give her lightly cooked French beans (green beans) She can have as much of these as she wants and I think they alternate the feel of the food nad make her tummy feel nice an full but don't add anything. I also give her a spoonof cod liver oil every day or so in with her food, she doesn't seem to mind it (ugh!!) Since I caved in and added the extra tastes she has gained 1.7kg (she was losing weight at that sort of rate before. ) He diabetes has remained unchanged .
                Chilli , 13 year old spayed bitch, dx 2009, mostly stable with momentary fluctuations . .25 caninsulin twice a day. 12.7 kg. 95% blind. oh , and immortal according to our vet!!!

Paula in Italy

Comment

Charlie is currently on hills science diet w/d. He has done wonderful on it! The w/d seems to help him with his weight

Comment

Researched the prescription foods but preferred to avoid by-products. Found Horizon Legacy, and my dog Watson loves that, high in protein and low glycemic food.

But then I found something just a few days after putting Watson on Horizon, which he has only been eating for about 10 days now. This other food has much less complicated sounding ingredients, and seems to be a much better product. Darford Zero/G. I mention these in case anyone would like to do research on them. I contacted Darford (made in Canada as well as Horizon) and the put me in touch with a distributor in Georgia who is going to send me some samples. Darford rep Melody told me over the phone that Zero/G is certified low glycemic. Both foods are no-grain, high protein and low glycemic. Watson loves the Horizon. These are not sold at Petsmart or Petco, but my vet did tell me they have heard of Horizon.

One thing I have noticed on this forum is everyone seems to using meters. My vet told me I don't need one. I am thinking I might get another vet since they also did not catch the clue that Watson was drinking a lot of water and urinating a lot when I first brought him in after about a week of seeing this behavior. That makes me sad, because this vet has treated Watson for his entire life, 12 years. I am beginning to wonder about their ability to help me care for Watson during this very serious time in his life.

Peace to all,

Roy and Watson
                    Watson: 11 year old Lab mix. Diagnosed 4/5/2012. - Went up on Dose 8/10/12 to 18 U Humulin N 2 x day. Diet: Horizon Legacy, freeze dried "Stella and Chewy's," - Separately prepared food 3 tbs of butternut squash puree mixed with 2.5 tsp 4Life Transfer Factor supplement, Flaxseed Meal, steamed broccoli and green beans.

Comment

I'm not sure where to put this, so I'll try here and one of the mods can move it if necessary.

I recently discovered a service called PetFlow that delivers your dog food to your door. I was skeptical, like I usually am, but I decided to try it. I feed Bailey Orijen Senior dog food and I have to drive approximately 15 miles to get it and pick up and move the 30 pound bag 3-4 times which makes my old back unhappy.

The PetFlow price was about $2.00 less than the store I've been getting it at. They charge $4.95 flat rate shipping charge regardless of weight and have free shipping on any order over $59.00, which covers my Orijen order. They deliver it by Fedex to your door. You can set up a delivery schedule for any length of time you want, between 2 and 16 weeks and you can change, or cancel it any time you want. When I got my first order, it was well packaged in a box and arrived undamaged. All I had to do was get it from my porch to my dog food container which I did using a 2 wheel dolly. I saved money, gas, time and my back. They also have other pet supplies like treats, toys, grooming supplies and flea and Frontline and K9 Advantix flea and tick treatment.
                      I know I sound like an advertisement, but so far I'm very happy with this service and my skepticism is fading. I just wish I'd thought of it.

If anyone has any negative information or feedback on this company, please let me know.

Here is a link to the web site and a list of the brands they show on their web site and if you don't see a brand you want, you can contact them and they will try to carry it for you.

http://www.petflow.com/

Brands:
                      9 Lives

A
                      Acana

Advantage

Alpo

American Kennel Club

Andis

Angels' Eyes

Ark Naturals

Arm & Hammer

Artemis

Avoderm

B
                      Bags on Board

Beggin Strips

Beneful

BFF

Bil Jac

bioSPOT

Blue Buffalo

Bocces Bakery

By Nature

C
                      Cadet

California Natural

Canidae

Canine Caviar

Canyon Creek Ranch

Castor And Pollux

Catswell

Cesar

Charming Pet Toys

Chef Michaels

Chicken Soup

Clean and Green

Comfort Pet

D
                      Diamond

Dingo

Dogswell

Dr. Elsey

Dr. Harvey's

Dr. Tim's

E
                      Eagle Pack

Earthborn Holistic

Ethical Pet

Eukanuba

Evangers

Ever Clean

EVO

Excel Pet Supplements

F
                      Fancy Feast

Felidae

Feline Pine

Four Paws

Fresh Step

Friskies

FroliCat

Fromm

Frontline

Fruitables

Furminator

G
                      Go!

Grandma Lucy's

Gravy Train

Great Life

Greenies

Grizzly Salmon Oil

H
                      Halo

Healthwise

HI-TOR

Hill's Prescription Diet

Hill's Science Diet

Holistic Select

Horizon

HuggleHounds

I
                      Iams

Innova

J
                      Jonny Cat

JW Pet

K
                      K9 Advantix

Karma Organic

Kibbles N Bits

Kit N Kaboodle

Kong

L
                      LED Power

Loving Pets

M
                      Meow Mix

Merrick

Milk-Bone

Milo's Kitchen

Miscellaneous

Mother Nature

N
                      Native

Natural Balance

Nature's Logic

Nature's Variety

Natures Recipe

Newmans Own Organics

Nordic Naturals

Now!

Nummy Tum Tum

Nutramax

Nutri Source

Nutri Vet

Nutrisca

Nutro Max

Nutro Natural Choice

Nutro Ultra

Nylabone

O
                      Old Mother Hubbard

Organic Pet Superfood

Orijen

P
                      Pedigree

Pet Naturals of Vermont

Pet Time

PetGuard

Petmate

Pill Pockets

Pinnacle

Planet Organics

Plato Pet Treats

Precise

Premium Edge

Pro Plan

Pure Love

Pure Vita

Purina Cat Chow

Purina Kitten Chow

Purina Mighty Dog

Purina ONE

Purina Puppy Chow

R
                      Redbarn

Royal Canin

Royal Canin Veterinary Diet

S
                      Salmon Paws

Scoop Away

ScoopFree

Smart Pup

Sojos

Solid Gold

Stella & Chewy

SuckUK

Swheat Scoop

T
                      Taste Of The Wild

Temptations

the honest kitchen

Three Dog Bakery

Thundershirt

Tidy Cats

Tiki Cat

Tiki Dog

V
                      Verus

VIP Products

W
                      Wellness

Weruva

Whiskas

Whole Life

World's Best

Wysong

Y
                      Yesterday's News

Z
                      ZiwiPeak

Zukes

Comment

Shortly used a Diabetic Dog food, which was prescribed by my Vet; Purina DCO.

Began using a raw diet, but decided that I knew enough to know that I didn't know too much.

Since then, and with much success, Abby is on Zeal made by Honest Kitchen. I add 1/2 HardBoiled Egg, 1 Tsp of cooked millet, two times a day.
                        Last edited by Abby's Mom; 02-18-2013, 10:16 AM.
                        Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

jjefferjo just told me about another site that also delivers to you called Mr.Chewy and after Googling, it looks like there are others, so if you're interested in having your food delivered to you, there are more options

Pat.

Comment

Hi Babagreen, I came across your thread whilst reading about the different Diabetic Veterinary Diets and was impressed with the varied diet you feed your Cookie who seems to be thriving at aged 14, that's wonderful.

I hope you don't mind me asking , I'm looking for ideas on what different types of foods I could feed my Penny so that they may improve her immune system and to help her overall health and was interested to see that you feed Cookie sardines and mackerel. Are the sardines and mackerel tinned in oil or water? Does it matter if I fed the ones in oil? Would you feed the sardines mixed in with just kibble and how much should I feed in one meal. My dog weighs 20lbs. You mentioned giving Cookie greens, vitamins, Alive and Vic C. I would be keen on giving supplements and wondered what is the name of the greens, the Alive vitamin and also how would I know the amounts to give my dog? How would I determine the correct dosage of human vitamins and minerals to give a dog?

My Penny who is 11, was diagnosed with diabetes 2yrs ago and after a rocky start she is now well regulated on Levemir insulin. I am always looking to improve her diet and in doing so hope she'll be around for a long while to come so any advice on diet is really appreciated.
                            Penny - 11yrs, 20lbs; diagnosed diabetic 01/04/10; Insulin - Levemir 2units x 2 per day. Feeding Natures Variety Beef or Lamb Raw Medallions and Mince and/or Chicken with Brown Rice, Green Beans and a little Benefibre mixed with yoghurt.

Comment

My vet sold me Hill's science w/d wet and dry Chase loves the wet and I grind down the dry at present 1/2 can wet and 1/3 cup dry 3 times a day. I did not start him that much until yesterday 8/4. He wasn't eating much after he was dx for the 1st week I was doing veggies and turkey low fat. He started on the wet W/D just licking it from my finger. The past 3 days he has really picked up the pace. He is on humlin n 2x day 5 units each. He went from 24 pounds to present 18 he should be between 12-15 lbs. He goes to bathroom really good now and seems to have a lot of energy last 3 days he only got up during the night once when before it was every two hours. Chase is on Hill's W/D for good at present. Thanks to all who gave me so much help and support.

Comment

We've fed our 6 year old Lab Wellness CORE grain free for several years now. I add 1.5 cups of green beans per meal to add carbs. He also get sardines a couple of times a week and I use Missing Link supplement for both of my Labs.

He's 91 pounds, eats 2.25 cups 2x a day of the kibble. I don't vary or add table scraps. Pretty strict regimen which has worked well. He also has a tremendous metabolism and loses weight quickly when he is sick.
                                Sharon and Diesel 91 lb Chocolate Lab diagnosed in 2007 at 18 months old. On Humulin N 21 units am/22 units pm and fed Wellness CORE

Comment

Working...
                                X