Border collie Jack passed away on February 28, 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Border collie Jack

i dont have any info that can help but just wanted you to know me and jesse know you will find what jack needs

your relentless dedication to finding an answer for your loved ones is truly amazing

hopefully just a blimp on radar for jack . i dont think this will slow him down
    Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
    Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Did your vet mention Vetmedin? It has helped several of my pugs with CHF. One had a mitral valve that my vet described as hearing a "click", started him on vetmedin....he was 10 at the time, he is coming up to 13 now. Still on vetmedin and never better. I have tried taking him off three different times, and can tell the difference within the week. there are absolutely no side effects.

We get our taurine from life extension....human grade. I don't know if it is better than some others, but we get a lot of natural type supplements from them, and quite happy with quality, price and service.
      lef.org

Hope you and Jack have a wonderful Christmas.

Comment

Thanks!

I am, unfortunately, all too familiar with Vetmedin! Chris was on it his last year or more. We took Jack to the same cardiologist Chris saw - I absolute love her - and she remembered Chris (he's been gone 7 years...) because of his many challenges and what a good patient he was. She is a mobile cardiologist who visits various clinics during the week to provide services and she used to tell every clinic we visited about how great Chris' diabetes was managed and our testing him at home...

I love Vetmedin - I think it gave Chris a year he wouldn't have had without it, and I recommend it any time a dog has heart issues.

Jack's murmur is currently mild and not affecting him much. We stumbled on it because he had some GI upset and took him to the vet for that.

I have been aware for a while... six months to a year... that Jack had changed and that something was bothering him. Subtle changes in his behavior. Just didn't know what it was until now. We had him checked out generally then but didn't find anything we could act on.

So he's currently not being put on any meds - just some CoQ10 and taurine in case a taurine deficiency is contributing to somewhat weak muscle contractions in his heart. She said that could be just the way he's made - he has never had great stamina.

We will supplement his taurine until his next check and if his heart muscle contractions are the same, it's not a taurine deficiency and we can stop it.

No exercise or diet restrictions. And he's actually been going for quite long walks this year and seeming to enjoy them.

The big question is how much worse it has or hasn't gotten in the next six months. If it's progressing rapidly, that will be bad.

Natalie

Comment

Hi Natalie, Sorry to hear Jack is struggling- hopefully not too bad and it won't get worse.

When doggy Basil was here my beloved vet, who has now passed was too. The vet practiced alternative medicine when it was appropriate. Doggy Basil had an enlarged heart. At that time the vet told me that they were seeing just as good results from nutritional or vitamin supplementation as from conventional medicines. Possibly with the exception being Lasix..... but I can't remember the conversation in that detail, it just seems Lasix effect would be hard to duplicate with nutrition.

The vets go-to for vitamins was Standard Process. You may have heard Abby's Barb talking about them as she was a big fan also.

I did a search and although I don't see a simple Tuarine supplement I came across this:

http://tinyurl.com/ppdn276

I only scanned but it seemed like it might have some good info for you.

I believe the company does focus a fair amount on animal products as well as for people. I imagine you could give the company a call and it would be informative.

Tara
          Tara in honor of Ruby.
          She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.
          Lucky for both of us we found each other. I'd do it all again girly.

Comment

Natalie,

Sure hope the meds can get Jack feeling better. He's such a good dog, with a ton of border collie traits!

Bonnie and Angel Criss

Comment

Natalie,

I am sorry to hear of Jack's condition. I am a big fan of Standard Process but I have not looked into a Taurine supplement, however, where I did hear of this supplement was on Monica Segal's site. She is a huge fan, and has a supplement on her website.

Www.monicasegal.com/taurine.html

I have not had the need to order, nor am I familiar with anyone, but it is a site that I trust.

Keeping Jack in my prayers and thoughts.

Barb
              Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

We started the CoQ10 about a week ago and we ordered taurine from LifeExtension. It arrived yesterday and we will start it in a few days. Wanted him to have some time on the CoQ10 before adding in another supplement. So far, I don't see any side effects from CoQ10.

Overall, he seems well. He's going on fairly long walks these days. He just... slowed down back when I first started to worry about him. Subtle changes.

Natalie

Comment

Hoping it helps Natalie. Always love the approach of spacing things out so you know what's working.
                  Hope Jack got some great presents this year
                  Patty
                  Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Hate those subtle changes. Hope Jack is doing better these days.
                    Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

We started the taurine - no obvious side effects or problems with appetite.

Natalie

Comment

thats positive news

always a concern is side affects glad there isnt any and hope for further progress
                        Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                        Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

That is very good news
                          Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Originally posted by k9diabetes View Post
                            We started the CoQ10 about a week ago and we ordered taurine from LifeExtension. It arrived yesterday and we will start it in a few days. Wanted him to have some time on the CoQ10 before adding in another supplement. So far, I don't see any side effects from CoQ10.

Overall, he seems well. He's going on fairly long walks these days. He just... slowed down back when I first started to worry about him. Subtle changes.

Natalie
                            We have all our senior pugs (10) on CoQ10 (Ubiquinol), have never had any negative reaction to it. Hope Jack has a great New Year along with his owner!

Comment

Hi Natalie!

When I popped in over here last night to check on one of our joint forum members, I saw these updates about Jack. I'm afraid I have no advice to offer, but I do have plenty of well wishes! I surely hope things will stabilize quickly for you guys.

With my warmest regards to you and a gentle pat for Jack,
                              Marianne

Comment

Good to hear Natalie
                                Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Working...
                                X