Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 09-19-2015, 05:43 AM

Default Re: Spirit-Newfoundland

Morning all....Getting ready to head south for the winter in late October so we went into the vet to get a CBC done and a complete health check. All came out well, blood levels normal, eyes normal, etc.....My vet did say that spirit had quite a bit of tarter built up on his teeth and he recommended I get them cleaned before we leave because of the potential of a dental infection in the future.

I have always been hesitant to get his teeth cleaned because I don't like to put him under anesthesia. Newf are known for not doing well with it. Anyway, I did agree to take him in on Monday for the cleaning. They want him there at 9:00 and I pick him up once he comes out of sedation and is stable. Vet said feed as normal at 5:30 a.m. and give insulin.

Have any of the folks here had their pals teeth cleaned? Any issues? Anything I should know about?

thanks,

Jim
Jim/Marijane & Spirit, Newfoundland, born Dec 22, 2007, 115lbs. DX Oct. 2011, 18.5 units Humulin 2x per day. Hills WD kibble, Hills WD can made into gravy, boiled chicken. Spirit passed on June 9, 2016 and it had nothing to do with diabetes.....farewell my buddy.
Old 09-19-2015, 06:02 AM
Founding Member

jesse hasn't had her teeth cleaned but her last surgery they just used gas to sedate her a tad more expensive but she wasn't groggy or have any lingering affects of typical anesthesia . i think the duration is shorter so something you can ask about
Jesse-26 lbs - 15.5 years old - 10 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of Novolin a day sometimes Novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar but that is rare. total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 8 and 10 units of NPH insulin depending on her fasting number
Old 09-19-2015, 09:45 AM

Are they planning a general anesthesia? I am surprised that they are wanting a meal at 5:30am. Any surgeries we have had, including dentals/cleaning, we are not to feed past 10pm. Maybe my vets are just extra cautious, but nausea during surgery or in recovery is not good.

Emmitt, my diabetic pug had dental about a month ago, we fed him evening before with regular dose of insulin, 1/4 his dose of insulin at 6am, delivered to vet at 8am, and picked him up at 11am. His glucose stayed pretty level, but my previous diabetic pug after dental, dropped dramatically, and we did not need any insulin for more than 3 days. Usually because of this, we try to take them to surgery a bit on the high side just in case.

Wishing you both the best for the dental and the upcoming trip
Old 09-19-2015, 01:43 PM

Soaphie has had a few cleanings in her day.....always told no food after midnight and only a couple sips of water.
Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.
Old 09-19-2015, 05:27 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Maggie's vet always wants her to have half of a meal and half to a quarter of normal insulin the morning of surgery. When we do anesthesia for anything, she doesn't do as well on an empty stomach. Her glucose tends to go low especially at the vet's office so he feels like she is better with food. When we just do cleanings, we do the gas. Last time, we had the blood vessel tumor so she had to be under totally.
Old 09-20-2015, 07:30 AM

I have always been concerned about spirit going under anesthetia because newfs in general have slow metabolisms and many don't do well under anesthetia. I've discussed all this with my vet and will inquire wether they will use gas or general sedation. He commented that since I feed him so early in the morning (5-5:30 a.m.) and the procedure won't be done till after 11:00 he is comfortable. As for me, I'm sick to my stomach about this and can't wait for him to be done and back with me.

I do trust this vet very much. He has been with me throughout the whole diabetic experience and thanks to his quick diagnosis, we believe we caught the diabetes in the first 2 weeks. I do plan on giving him a little less food and insulin in the morning, take him for his normal walks and then drop him off by 9:30. When spirit's routine is interrupted it can take me weeks to get back to regulation......the only reason I decided to do this is he has a "swollen" part of his gums behind his canine teeth and the plaque IS getting really bad. Since we will be traveling for 5-6 months there is nothing worse than being on the road and trying to find a vet or pet hospital that can treat him and understand diabetes. It is easy to treat a urinary tract infection but an absess or gum infection can get tricky....
Jim/Marijane & Spirit, Newfoundland, born Dec 22, 2007, 115lbs. DX Oct. 2011, 18.5 units Humulin 2x per day. Hills WD kibble, Hills WD can made into gravy, boiled chicken. Spirit passed on June 9, 2016 and it had nothing to do with diabetes.....farewell my buddy.

Last edited by jim maceri; 09-20-2015 at 07:33 AM.
Old 09-20-2015, 07:44 AM

Don't want to do a commercial for Zymox dental water additive, but it seems to work in Annie.
http://www.zymox.com/products/zymox-brushless-oral-care

Most trips to the vet contains the "Ugg, that's a lot of plaque!" comment. I've been adding the Zymox to her drinking bowl about 6 months (maybe 4 times a week) and the vet didn't say anything when he checked her mouth. I then asked how her teeth looked and he said they looked OK and asked if we had been brushing.

I order it from Amazon.

Craig
Old 09-20-2015, 07:49 AM
Founding Member

yes you dont want mouth problems and your are beginning to see signs of infection so it needs to be done

i think you and your vet have a good plan on the preliminary's

i understand re regulating after a blimp to regulation it common for many of us and expected but they usually get back on track after the antibiotics is finished up

if some digestive issues are present a probiotic maybe helpful

hope things go uneventful with the cleaning and spirit gets wright back on the hoarse ( spirit on a horse that would be a site to see because hes kind of like a horse being so large )
Jesse-26 lbs - 15.5 years old - 10 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of Novolin a day sometimes Novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar but that is rare. total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 8 and 10 units of NPH insulin depending on her fasting number
Old 09-20-2015, 10:51 AM

Thanks craig, I'll give it a look. I decided I will cut his food and insulin by 50% in the morning. I will ask the vet what they will use to sedate him and hope it is gas.... I'm just a nervous Nellie and I'm sure he'll be fine. He likes going to the vet because they give him so much attention there.

A friend of mine had a 12 yr old newt who went into the vet to get his teeth cleaned. The same day he started acting groggy at home, fell off the porch and died. Just can't stop thinking about that so u can be sure I won't let him out of my site when I get him home.
Old 09-20-2015, 11:03 AM

I use all the Zymox products - they are great for diabetics because they use enzymes that help moisturize their mouths and break down plaque. There is a gel and spray that are really helpful. Some of the gels out there have alcohol which causes their mouths to be drier.