Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:30 PM

Default Re: Spirit-Newfoundland

Since Nibbles UTI we have been putting 1 tsp. in his food twice a day. There's no way he would drink a whole bowl of water. I think he really likes!

It tastes horrible!
Old 03-05-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibbles-mommy View Post
Since Nibbles UTI we have been putting 1 tsp. in his food twice a day. There's no way he would drink a whole bowl of water. I think he really likes!

It tastes horrible!
Spirit was drinking 14 cups of water during diagnosis. He now drinks between 4-5 cups per day. Of course I tasted the mixture right out of his bowl...duh, why didn't I mix it up and put it in ANOTHER bowl to taste...

Anyway, I didn't taste it in the water but I like your food idea better! And no, I'm not going to try his food. The things we do for our babies.
Jim/Marijane & Spirit, Newfoundland, born Dec 22, 2007, 115lbs. DX Oct. 2011, 18.5 units Humulin 2x per day. Hills WD kibble, Hills WD can made into gravy, boiled chicken. Spirit passed on June 9, 2016 and it had nothing to do with diabetes.....farewell my buddy.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim maceri View Post
One other thing the vet told me was to put a "little" apple cider vinegar in his water bowl to help keep his urinary tract healthy...I forgot to ask how much. I always fill his bowl with 4 cups of water at a time so I can measure his intake daily. The holistic website says to add a few drops...anyone else doing this? If so do you think a teaspoon per 4 cups is enough? I added that today and he drank his water so I assume he can't smell it but is it the right amount to do the job.
Jim, I put Apple Cider Vinegar in Abby's food, as I read that it also helps in digestion. I started with 1/8 tsp and worked my way up to a teaspoon. I think if you gradually start they do not notice the difference.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:44 PM

my friend used to drink a cup of it straight after every meal to lose weight. i tired it almost died!

i also keep that in the back of my mind with nibbles, hope it doesn't make him lose weight.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Spirit was drinking 14 cups of water during diagnosis. He now drinks between 4-5 cups per day. Of course I tasted the mixture right out of his bowl...duh, why didn't I mix it up and put it in ANOTHER bowl to taste...

Anyway, I didn't taste it in the water but I like your food idea better! And no, I'm not going to try his food. The things we do for our babies.

Aw...why not, Jim? You already got doggy cooties drinking out of Spirit's bowl! And we would very much like pictures of this series of events...here is Jim drinking out of Spirit's bowl...and here is Jim munching on Spirit's kibble...and here is Jim....
Old 03-05-2012, 07:08 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Apple Cider Vinegar can be alkalizing to urinary pH. Before I realized this I was adding it to Ali's water using this guideline:
1/2-3/4 tsp. Organic Apple Cider Vinegar to 1/3 gallon water

But I struggle with keeping Ali's pH acidic enough to prevent bacteria from growing, so I wasn't doing her any favors by adding it. pH that is too acidic or too alkaline can set a dog up for UTI. So, if your dog's pH is within range, I personally wouldn't add the ACV.

IMO, you'd be better off adding cranberry powder, though this can acidify urine. But, it also prevents bacteria from adhering from the bladder wall. D-Mannose powder might also be a benefit as it does the same thing with regard for e.coli.

Knowing your dog's urinary pH can be helpful ("pHion" test strips can help with this). Just as added info...a dog's pH fluctuates and is typically the most basic around 2-3pm and most acidic around 2-3am.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellie View Post
Aw...why not, Jim? You already got doggy cooties drinking out of Spirit's bowl! And we would very much like pictures of this series of events...here is Jim drinking out of Spirit's bowl...and here is Jim munching on Spirit's kibble...and here is Jim....
Doggy cooties lol
Old 03-06-2012, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellie View Post
Don't get me wrong, its not like I haven't tried, at least once, everything my dog eats....milkbones, kibble but I draw the line at canned dog food.

It all started at the local "gourmet" pet store where the owner invited people to try her natural home-made biscuits....they where pretty darn good too!

BTW, I love malt vinegar on fries, the more soaked they are the better.
Jim/Marijane & Spirit, Newfoundland, born Dec 22, 2007, 115lbs. DX Oct. 2011, 18.5 units Humulin 2x per day. Hills WD kibble, Hills WD can made into gravy, boiled chicken. Spirit passed on June 9, 2016 and it had nothing to do with diabetes.....farewell my buddy.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:09 AM

Quote:
BTW, I love malt vinegar on fries, the more soaked they are the better.
Me too, love to soak em too!
Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dadís loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:11 AM

me too, give me some wet cheeses and white vinegar on top and i'm good to go.

but apple cider vinegar is a whole different animal. jim, take a swig straight, if you haven't already, and report back.