How the Hank Turns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hank

Lots of things going on but OMG...Hank had a severe allergy attack the other day and it scared the you know what out of me! He's been doing about average on the skin allergies...he's taking a chlor tab twice a day...still itchy but not overly so. Yesterday, during our morning walk, he started scratching and itching and it got so bad with his legs trembling that he couldn't even walk! I tried to help by rubbing his skin but nothing seemed to help! I finally just picked him up and carried him home. His whole body was just so tense....he couldn't relax at all! I was thankful his breathing was ok...it was just an overwhelming itchyness over his whole body!

I gave him a chlor tab and a benedryl and kept an eye on him for a bit and he finally settled down. I was prepared to bathe him just in case. I had never seen anything quite like it! Poor little man was just almost in pain from the itchy!

I think that next year, we'll go with the Atopica from the beginning of the season and see how that goes. If it doesn't help, it's back to the prednisone and we'll deal with the effects at that point. I just can't have him like this. He's miserable and in pain. Gosh I just hate these damn allergies!
    Shell and Hank (aka Mr. Pickypants) - now deceased (4/29/1999 - 12/4/2015) Cairn Terrier mix who was diagnosed 8/18/2011 and on .75 U Levemir 2Xday. Miss you little man!

Comment

Poor Hank, that sounds terrible. Sounds like it was really distressing for you too Shellie, so sorry.

What seems to be the trigger? Something environmental? or Food related? I havent heard much about allergies over here in the UK.

Hope he settled down for you.

big hugs, Jen x
      Pippa; Westie, diagnosed 17th April 2012 at 6.5 years old, 8.7kgs, 6.8 units canninsulin bd, Burns high oats food . Lives with George 9 (Black lab), Polly 19 (cat) and Basil 15 (diabetic mog for 5+ years). Im Jen and we live in West Wales where it rains too much!

Comment

Aww, Poor Hank. I can just feel how he must have felt all tightness ready to jump out of his skin. Glad he is better now. I wonder if it could have been a reaction to a bug bite, odd for it to be that quick.

I don't envy you with the allergies, and of course with his eating habits it is hard to give him a hypo allergenic food.

Prednisone....it was the worst of drugs.....it was the best of drugs!
        Tara in honor of Ruby.
        She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.
        Lucky for both of us we found each other. I'd do it all again girly.

Comment

oh Shellie that sounds awful for both of you. We had our first frost last night so hopefully allergy season is on the way out. hugs
          Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Hoping Hank and you are both doing much better now.

Hugs and belly rubs
            Jane and Franklin, 8 years, maltese, currently 6.4kg, Australia. Cushing's with elevated hormones dx'd 2009/2010, proteinuria, epilepsy, diabetes dx'd July 2012. Phenobarb 30mg bid, 3mg melatonin bid, lignans sid, caninsulin 4.8u bid (a work in progress). Diet- home cooked. Blind from cataracts January 2013, sighted from surgery February 2013.

Comment

Poor Hank and poor you! Hope he is feeling better by now...its so sad when they are overcome with something and you really just don't know what to do to comfort them, but you seemed to get him calmed down and able to rest.
              <3

Comment

Awe Shellie.
                @#$#$%#$ allergies!
                Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Originally posted by Patty View Post
                  Awe Shellie.
                  @#$#$%#$ allergies!
                  My sentiments exactly!!! Tiggy has had that same kind of reaction a couple times this summer . You feel so helpless when it happens!! I would actually put cold towels over her and it would help alot!!

Sandy

Comment

Shellie. That is awful poor Hank and you . Cj gets dreadful itching as well that's why he is on ciclosporin . It really works . I know it's not good long term but I had to put him on it as there was nothing else that worked. I now have it down to once every 2 days.

Hope the itching has calmed down and Hank has a peaceful day itch free.

Hugs
                    Anne-Marie and CJ Westie , Born 13 Jan 2004, dx May 2012, Weight 9.5kg, 6 iu Caninsulin Twice daily. Mixture of food - baby formula and mixture of chicken and vegetables . 4-6 feeds a day due to pancreatitis which is under control.

Comment

Thanks all! He's over that major attack but still is so itchy! I wish I had gone the atopica this year. My cat, Mika is on it every 3 days or so and does wonderfully. I just didn't want to put Hank on such a major drug with him having diabetes too. But I sure will next year. I can't wait til allergies are over either...am so dizzy all the time. We make a great pair!! I did bathe him and that seemed to help a bit. Need Carol's magic wand!!

Not doing too bad doing this post on my phone
                      ..huge storm knocked out electric all over my town...is very dark!!

Thanks again for the support...wish no one had these +-6%%&*- allergies!!! Hugs!!
                      Shell and Hank (aka Mr. Pickypants) - now deceased (4/29/1999 - 12/4/2015) Cairn Terrier mix who was diagnosed 8/18/2011 and on .75 U Levemir 2Xday. Miss you little man!

Comment

Glad the bath helped and that Hank is feeling a bit better. Hope your power has been restored and that you were not left in the dark for too long.
                        Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

Allergies are a scourge! O's been an allergy magnet since a puppy.

Hope the worst is over and he has a good fall / winter.
                          Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

I've been struggling the last few days...Hank is very sick. He began vomiting on Thursday night and after a vet visit on Friday, they diagnosed mild pancreatitis. So home we went after getting fluids, cerenia, torbogesic, etc... keep an eye on him...check him in the am. He just seemed so out of it on Sat am that I asked to see the doc again and they admitted him with +2 ketones and unresolved pancreatitis. Spoke with the doc last night and she said his blood work revealed a high white count...possible infection or reaction to the problems so they started antibiotics, a high amylase (yep, pancreatitis), high glucose (no surprise there), elevated liver (something to keep an eye on). Xray today revealed no masses or tumors...no stuck sock in his intestines (she seemed to worry about that).

So now it's watch and wait. Dr. M., who is my favorite for Hank, will be in in the am and I'm looking forward to talking with him. It sounds like if they can just support him a few days, he'll heal. But god knows, he was very weak and listless...and the older he gets, the harder this is on his little body.

I'm scared to death but hopeful. The vet was very comforting but really couldn't say anything other than he's holding his own. I don't even know if I should go see him! I don't want him to see me and think I've come to take him home then be unhappy I can't. I wasn't sure if I wanted to say anything here...silly, I know, since you are all the most supportive folks I know...I'm just in such limbo. I haven't felt well myself since Wed so dealing with two major issues...mine is minor needless to say compared to Hank...but being sick and stressed out to the max emotionally...ack. I'm just sort of floating from one thing to another...not sure where I am or what I'm doing...trying to distract myself from my puppyless house. Trying NOT to think the worst and yet preparing just in case.

I hate the fact that he's alone at night there but it's not like he needs care every minute and the rest of the time, he is with people he likes and trusts. I didn't want to move him to a 24hr clinic...not just money...but because he doesn't know anyone and how do I know the care he'll get? At this clinic... they love him and will take good care of him.

Please think good thoughts for us! For my little bubby man. I really do need him...he's my other half really. Hugs to all!

Comment

Annie and I are sending good thoughts to you and Hank!
                              Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Positive thought coming your way Shellie. Hope lil Hank starts to feel better soon.

When Alfie was in hospital I didn't go visit him cos I knew he would get way too stressed and upset when I left but it was so hard not seeing him. If you think it would upset Hank then I think maybe your right not to visit.

Hope you feel better as well Shellie - got to get better for your wee man getting home.

Hugs
                                Allison
                                Alfie- 11 1/2yrs. 8kg diagnosed June 2008. Insulin - NPH, Novorapid & Caninsulin - a work in progress! Dx left brain neuro focal lymphoma 4th Dec 2012, still fighting on!.

Comment

Working...
                                X