Patty's Ali - my precious, beautiful angel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Patty's Ali - seizures are back

Patty - really? $70 ugh..... Don't you wish sometimes that someone would say No or Yes to something when it comes to our dogs' health? It's hard to find that balance...but if anyone can - it's you. I know, I've said that before.

Love and hugs, Pam

Comment

Originally posted by Patty View Post
      I couldn't do this without you all
      Patty
      Nice that we can return the favor Patty, as I am sure we have all felt one time or another that we couldn't do it without you.

Glad the trip is behind you and I will keep you and Ali in my prayers that the right balance will be struck.

What a beautiful pic of the mountains.

Did you see the link for the splints? I imagine you may have missed it with traveling.

Tara
      Tara in honor of Ruby.
      She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.
      Lucky for both of us we found each other. I'd do it all again girly.

Comment

Wow, $70. for 2 tests that show wide gaps which remained unexplained That would bother me also. She looked pretty relaxed while waiting for the doc.

Did the doc appear concerned with those numbers? The tech telling you that it is the same norm for dogs as it is for humans. I have high blood pressure and I can tell you that my doc would be quite worried if I had those numbers.

I am trying to read between the lines and I do perceive some concerns and I keep wondering if you are satisfied with your visit and if you feel it was worthwhile.

Hopefully, the proposed course of action will work to yours and Ali's favour. If I understand it correctly, it is a very fine line. Reduce the meds-risk the return of seizures or stay the same and watch your girl struggle.

I am so very sorry you are going through this with your girl. It is not easy and I feel for you.

Let's keep the prayers and the positive vibes going.

Take good care and extra belly rub for your girl Ali.

Louise

Comment

I could handle back to normal weight Judi

Yeah, I know Pam. The guy at the cashier just told me the total and I handed him the "magic plastic." When I read the invoice on the way out the door I almost walked back in. I will be sure to chat about that cost and the why of it if we need another BP taken.

Thank you Tara for the continued prayers. We could use them. I did see the splint link before. Thank you. Just didn't have a chance to comment on the individual posts. I can see the benefit of the splints. Not sure if I could get Ali to walk in them (kind of like booties ). But I bookmarked it.

Yea Louise. If I was walking around with that BP I'd be on the verge of a stroke. I never have trusted the automated machines. We used to have to take BP before/after activity with patients in the hospital when I worked acute care. All it takes is a movement to mess up the reading. I'd rather have it done the old fashioned way. Doc didn't mention wanting her BP either when he was in with us. He must have decided after he left the room. And I couldn't ask him the difference because we didn't see him again. Ironically that was something I brought up at her intial eval and he wasn't concerned with at that point. I'm keeping a notebook now though and am writing all my questions down as I think of them instead of forgetting by the time we go back.

You do perceive concerns Louise. There's no getting around the fact that there are risks with whatever we do. Quality of life is the big thing for me right now. If reducing the dex will help her body stay nourished and active, I think it's worth the risk of trying because right now I'm having to help her get up and she's so hungry. Maybe it will help our bg situation too. I hate this pattern we have and will keep working on it for her sake. Just hope her adrenals are ok adjusting with us backing off too.

I thought we were going to do ok with bg tonight after all we went through today and she was 280s when we got home, with essentially 3 1/2 hours to go. BIG mistake. That 288 turned into 502 fasting! Sigh. I bumped her insulin by 1/8u and got a rise of only 20 points thank goodness. Will just have to watch the drop isn't too fast.

Patty
          Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Understanding that mental debate - where the heart and mind are not always in 100% agreement. Thinking of you often...
            Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

Prayers patti. My TJ panted and hung his head when on prednisone and as you know it's much less potent than what Ali is on. I'd get a second opinion on tapering. I'd be concerned about the adrenal glands as well. It depends on the body and even a slight reduction can have an impact. TJ was on pred for 6 months and we tapered him over 4. He was fine
              Forbin, miss you every day. See you at the bridge Buddy.

Comment

Patty,

At least they gave you a course of action.... But OMG 70 for a Blood Pressure reading. You could have bought a machine..... Yikes.

Praying that you and Ali can walk that fine line..

Hugs to both of you.

Barb
                Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

That sure is an outrageous charge. Heck, that's included in most office visit fees.

In any event, sure hope something good comes of your trip and visit.
                  Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

I know you do Holli. Thanks!

I know Barb, crazy.
                    Bill, in hindsight they really should tell their clients there's a charge when the walk in and say 'doc wants a BP on her.' As you said, that's included in an eval fee more often than not. I had no idea it would even cost a cent. The neuro exam was $125 on top of blood work and the dex charge. I will definitely say something next time. I'm curious to know why it's a separate charge. I'd waited around to even get to checked out and Ali was waiting in the car for me by that time.

My TJ panted and hung his head when on prednisone
                    Nice to have that comparison Peggy. While the tech said they don't see the adrenal issues, doc did mention the fine line so I'm glad he's tapering the dose. He's wanting to go from 1.5mg to 1mg to eventually .75mg. Said we'd likely see any changes in 7-10 days. She started the 1mg this AM.
                    Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Patty, altho I may not be able to follow all with Ali I do keep her in my prayers daily.

I routinely have the blood pressure taken with 2 of my cats, one being with hypertension and another with hyperthyroidism, by way of a cuff on her their legs.

With a charge of $35.00 the tech will take 4-5 readings so to see the average as the one or two first taken are normally high....just a little wiggle can sometimes send the result high too.

hugs

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog

Comment

as you know patty scooter was reduced quite a bit of prednisone she had not been taking it for very long maybe a month and had no problems from the reduction but she is definitely the opposite in terms of weight putting the pounds on quite quickly

maybe ali having such a lean diet even though the calories are there the steroids just eats it up where scooter has more fat and carbs with her kibbles and wet food kind of like people who drink allot of soda pop and put on weight .

hope to see an improvement in the reduction you would think the dose may have been to high to start just to stabilize things

i guess with this you have less control as you would with making adjustments to insulin

me and jesse have our paws crossed for some good times ahead for you two
                        Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                        Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Eh gads....$70! That is rather outrageous! WE get that free when we go! lol

Am glad you did get some answers and I hope that the reduction will bring back the spark to Ali! She did look engaged on the trip home in that pic.

You are so right....it's such a fine line we travel with their health.... medications...quality of life...etc...is amazing how we balance things so well!

Lots of hugs and puppy kisses to you and Ali!
                          Shell and Hank (aka Mr. Pickypants) - now deceased (4/29/1999 - 12/4/2015) Cairn Terrier mix who was diagnosed 8/18/2011 and on .75 U Levemir 2Xday. Miss you little man!

Comment

It is with the heaviest heart and tears that won't stop that I let you all, my family, know that my sweet precious Ali-girl is at peace. I have never made a harder decision in my life.

She began seizing at 10:17 this morning. I called the neuro and they said to give all 3 rectal Valium syringes. Even after this she still seized, a total of 4 times at home. They told me to take her to the ER. I called and my vet was working today. He knows her so well and said absolutely bring her in. Her right eye twitched the whole way there. Tim came home from work and was with her while I packed up her things and he drove us over.

After IV intervention at the clinic she still seized again. I don't believe she could see out of her right eye and it continued to spasm. Neuro had faxed over her blood work and said liver enzymes were significantly elevated so an ultrasound would be beneficial to determine if there was another reason beyond the steroid. Her U/S at the clinic showed a fluid-filled mass in her liver.

Tim and I talked at great length about all of our options, her current state, and made this final decision today with tears streaming down our faces. I did not want her to go beyond the point of being miserable. My sweet little fighter. She has taken a part of my soul with her.

We will be traveling home to bury her. I will be back and write more when I'm able.
                            Much love and thanks,
                            Patty and Tim

The girl who has my heart forever

Comment

• Re: Patty's Ali - my precious, beautiful angel

So sad for you & Tim, Patty. Lifting you up my sweet friend.
                              Carla & G

Comment

• Re: Patty's Ali - my precious, beautiful angel

I am so sorry. xoxo Judi
                                Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Working...
                                X