Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Lily - My English Setter

i dont think lily will be happy with less food haha

very good update may have to reduce the insulin a tad but testing will help you with that .
    Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
    Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

She is so incredibly beautiful!
      Sparky Love, diagnosed March 5, 2014. Enrolled in Kinostat study to prevent cataract formation. Pancreatitis June 16, 2014 - hospitalized for 6 days in the ICU. Went to the Rainbow Bridge June 23, 2014. I love you very much, baby.

Comment

another thought is the hypothyroidism . not sure how that affects weight with the medication she is taking but may have an impact if the amount of food is not really over estimated
        Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .

Comment

She's beautiful!!!
          Cosmo 9 y/o Yorkie 20 LBS, DX 9/16/14 Novolin N 3 u BID. DX w Cushings 2 yrs ago, hepatomegaly, pancreatitis, peritonitis, gall bladder disease, heart block, BPH, bil fluxating patellas.

Comment

Gorgeous coloring!
            Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Good luck w/ the food reduction - hope Lily is agreeable. Glad all else is going well. Beautiful picture.

Enjoy that 'white free' weather while you have it - we had a hint of snow late last week but today was a decent November day.
              Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

Originally posted by jesse girl View Post
                i dont think lily will be happy with less food haha

very good update may have to reduce the insulin a tad but testing will help you with that .
                Jesse Girl... She would definitely be happy with more food. So far though, she doesn't seem to mind. I think that maybe the 1/4 cup of additional pumpkin makes her feel full. And... Yes, her BG levels have come down a bit with less food.

Cara, jas, Patty and Holli ... Glad you like Lily's latest picture!

Holli... We were near your neck of the woods on Nov 1. Our oldest grandson's HS Lacrosse team played in the Tully Cornfield Classic tournament just south of Syracuse. It was cold and rainy there. He's a senior this year and has commited to play college lacrosse at Alfred University.
                Last edited by MikeMurphy; 07-26-2017, 12:36 PM.
                Lily is a 62 lb English Setter, born 07-27-2007.
                Diabetes: Aug 2013
                Went peacefully to heaven on 04-24-2021
                Video in Lily’s memory: https://www.facebook.com/10000201631...3260300417807/

Comment

After Lily's diet change, her BG curves are slowly flattening out. This is her latest curve. I increased her insulin by 1/2 unit today. We'll see how that goes.
                  Last edited by MikeMurphy; 07-26-2017, 04:23 PM.

Comment

That's a very nice shaped curve. Paws crossed the additional 1/2 unit will do it for her.
                    Sparky Love, diagnosed March 5, 2014. Enrolled in Kinostat study to prevent cataract formation. Pancreatitis June 16, 2014 - hospitalized for 6 days in the ICU. Went to the Rainbow Bridge June 23, 2014. I love you very much, baby.

Comment

Well, just when you think everything is going well, Lily threw up Monday morning and would not eat. She continued acting sick during the day, so we went to the vet and she determined that she has pancreatitis. The vet gave her meds to control vomiting, an antibiotic, and also gave her fluids at the office and suggested a bland diet of boiled chicken and brown rice until she starts recovering.

She finally ate some boiled chicken this morning and I gave her half her dose of insulin. This is her first bout with pancreatitis. She's laying at my feet right now. She's pretty tough. I hope she can handle this. Keep you posted.
                      Last edited by MikeMurphy; 11-18-2014, 06:07 AM.

Comment

Awww wishing a speedy recovery for Lily. My JoJo has had it more than once and takes a while but you are on the right track,

Mary
                        JoJo 6 yr old mini-schnauzer dx with diabetes over 3 years ago. Currently on 16U of Novolin N 2 x a day. AlphaTrak 2. Also Calli 3 yr old yellow lab mix.

Comment

catching it early as you did is important to a faster recovery

diabetics seem to be prone to it my jesse had a sever case in the beginning

positive thought for a quick heal

Comment

pancreatitis is the worst. The first time Jenny had it we caught it right away but just a heads up, I took her off her pain meds too soon and had to start over.
                            Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

• So sorry to hear about the pancreatitis! How are things today?
                              I see a lot of you have experienced this. Any recommendations on how to possibly prevent pancreatitis?

Comment

Great you caught it right away.

Chicken was a staple for Otis for a couple years. Did his in the crock-pot, on a raised grate, after removing all the skin & visible fat. He loved it!

Improvised my grate from a piece of chicken wire fence. Lily couldn't hope for better care that what you are providing.

Saw WNY got an early "Winter Wonderland".
                                Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

Working...
                                X