Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 09-14-2016, 12:15 PM
Founding Member

Default Re: Overwhelmed, frustrated & depressed (both me and my dog)

hi: I had a poodle. We tested on her lip. Had to test by her canine tooth or we didn't get blood. I'd give her a special duck jerky treat after so she learned to tolerate it.

We had no luck with by the tail, the ear, or the carpal pad. It can be done and if you poke your finger, in about 20 minutes the stinging goes away.

If Four weighs twenty pounds, 9 units might not be enough. I don't know why your vet is hung up on that. Some dogs take more insulin. If they have thyroid issues, infections, all kinds of reasons.

It took us a long time to figure out how to get blood and test but I think it saved Jenny's life. When she was running high she would be zoned out and sleep a lot. Also, when she first went blind the first month was tough.

I feel like the deafness is the hardest thing. Jenny was almost deaf when she died but our vet had insisted she did NOT have an ear infection but when she had some teeth pulled we did 30 days of antibiotics. After that treatment a little bit of hearing came back.

hang in there. It's hard to see them not be themselves.

warmer skin produces more blood.

Judi
Old 09-14-2016, 01:07 PM

After 1.5 hours of trying to get enough blood, we've given up (both ears, and tail - wouldnt let us near his mouth). The vet did it three times and she was finally successful, but we havent been. Four is stressed now, so we'll try again another time.
Old 09-14-2016, 01:17 PM
Founding Member

poor guy give him an extra hug from me. Jenny & I had an epic meltdown when I missed, scratched her gums, she yelped, blood went everywhere, along with the lancets, meters, etc. So I just sat on the bathroom floor with all the debris and mess, holding her and cried.

it gets better. xoxo
Old 09-14-2016, 01:52 PM

I hated the idea of using the lip so we tried everywhere else then eventually tried the lip and have used it ever since.

You might try taking it a bit slower ie start by just touching his lip then give a tiny treat, Later on try folding up his lip, give a tiny treat.... then move to holding his lip folded up a bit then a treat... then touch it with a pencil or something (treat) and so on gradually building up to actually holding it up and using a lancet.

When we started I also had a rule that we'd have three tries and give up if it didn't work - otherwise I got too stressed. I also practised a bit on tomatoes just to get used to the feel of the lancet going in (too feeble to jab myself!).

It really is worth it in the end if you can just find a way to get him to tolerate it.
Antonia
Old 09-14-2016, 03:20 PM

Wink Re: Overwhelmed, frustrated & depressed (both me and my dog)

Don't know if it makes a difference, but with my lancet,I found if i put it on 1 or 2 it works better than the deeper settings..wherever you decide to test,just go at it slow...
You'll get it..
Sissy 13 yr old Bichon, born 4/17/03, 12 lbs. Diagnoised 7/20/12. Passed away 12/29/16 in my arms. My life will never be the same again. She will always be with me. Run free my babygirl 3 ozs I/D 4 x's day. 1.75 units levemir 2 times a day. .1 mg thyroid pill, tramadol for leg pain, morning & night,Use Alphatrak 2 and Relion Confirm meters.
Old 09-14-2016, 05:10 PM

Novalin.... not a good day - tmrw will be better
Old 09-15-2016, 09:18 AM

Another thing you may want to look at if your struggling to get a good blood sample is to check the "gage" of the lancet. When I bought my first meter I tried using the lancets that came with the kit, but I was unsuccessful. I poked my boy probably 10 times and I still couldn't get enough blood for a test. The lancets that came with the kit were 31 gage and they were just too small to get a decent blood sample. I headed back to the store and bought some 26 gage lancets, which are larger, and got enough blood to test on the second try. At Walmart, their relion brand lancets that are labeled "thin" are 26 gage, if you want to give that a try.
I'm sorry this is so stressful right now, but I hope things will turn around soon.
Best of luck to you,
Audrey
Bazzle - My sweet German Shepherd Chow Chow boy, born approximately 6/7/2002, adopted 8/7/2002, diagnosed with diabetes 12/28/2012, lived happy and healthy on Novilin 70/30 and Hill's Science Diet WD... Continued his journey into the next life on 5/15/2016. I miss you baby boy; you'll stay in my heart forever.
Old 09-15-2016, 09:27 PM

I do not post things on forums but after reading your original post and latest response, I had to register and say something before I went to sleep tonight. There are actually several things I would like to say but I'll keep it short as I can. My experience is from my diabetic 13 yr old 3 legged Jack Russel (missing one back leg since 4 yrs old). He was diagnosed diabetic one year ago. Went blind from cataracts one month later. Lost his hearing just after that. He was just as you described Four for about two months. My vet did not diagnose or expect ear infection but put him on antibiotics just in case. His hearing returned. I took out a loan for $4,500 and had cataract surgery done on him in both eyes. It has been 10 months or so now since vision returned and hearing returned and he is still running around like a young puppy to this night. Worth every penny.
It does not matter if Four seems "stressed" while you try to get sugar level readings and get it regulated. Charles was stressed too but now I can assure you he is extremely glad we pushed through those times and got it done! Sometimes it took 7+ pokes each day until I knew exactly what I was doing. Dry his inside lip with a paper towel, pinch it a little to get the blood flowing and you'll get the hang of it soon. Stay positive!
Old 09-18-2016, 01:22 AM

I have had the same problem getting blood from Magoo! Our vet's tech gave me a lesson (NO COST) and now we are doing pretty well. We use the ear as he will not let me near his mouth and he is a little guy so it was hard anyway. We put a bath mat (the kind that has a non-skid back) on the kitchen island...anywhere high will work. My husband holds him with one arm under his neck and one under his belly so he is pretty immobile. If you are doing this by yourself, try putting her on the bed. I put a little Vaseline on the inside of the ear and rub it really well. The Vaseline helps the blood to pool so it's easier to get and the rubbing gets the blood moving. Don't use too much. You can warm a sock filled with dry rice in the micro for about 25 sec and warm the ear really well before you try. I always try to walk him really good before a blood test as that gets his blood moving. Best place to check is near the edge of the ear. Wrap the ear around your finger and press the lancet tight to the ear. I use the lancet that came with my Alpha Trak and set it on 4. Magoo never even knows when he gets poked and he gets a treat after so he is fine with it. Hope this helps some. It does get better!!