Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 11-12-2015, 10:37 PM

Default Re: Annie - Getting too smart!

Hey Craig

Same here seems Riles smelling his food more. 15 yes old, 3 yrs diabetic. He,s been eating Fromm Surf and Turf 1\2 cup twice a day. Lately he says I want a change yuppers its a food smell brain thing.

I added wellness core wet he didn't like it me neither seemed took thick no flavour. Added spoon of Fromm fish wet walla but still ate 3\4 left it went out did his business came in ate the rest within 2 hour window for the insulin to meet up with the food..

I take food out of the freezer to cook then change my mind same brain food thing I change eat something different sometimes I don't eat it all but mix in something sweet.

For Riles seem a commercial wet topping works with the dry same company, same amount.

We do the best we can as long as it's a small amount of topper, same ingredients

The more I change the more he wants. No big changes here works.
Old 12-03-2015, 01:36 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Annie just got home from her 6 month routine eye vet appointment. Pretty much a good report. Eye pressures have remained good for over a year, and "tears" are actually slightly more than enough. Vet says we might try and reduce the Tacrolimus ointment to only once a day. Next general eye check-up not needed for 12 months.

The bad news is that there is a small tumor on one eye (already blind eye) and says it's our choice to either leave it alone or remove the eye. Sort of wish we had removed that eye 3-4 years ago when first mentioned. I might have her general vet do it (eye vet says many general vets can do the removal) along with a dental after New Years.

Learned something new. Her fairly frequent ear problems might be caused by allergies. I haven't been giving allergy meds because her eyes haven't been pink / red, never thought allergies could cause ear infections. Guess I'll re-start her on Benadryl.

Craig
Old 12-03-2015, 02:29 PM
Founding Member

nice update craig

did they give any prognosis if the tumor will grow and how fast ? is there or will there be any pain if you decided to leave it alone ?
Old 12-03-2015, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse girl View Post
nice update craig

did they give any prognosis if the tumor will grow and how fast ? is there or will there be any pain if you decided to leave it alone ?
I know she told me, but I don't remember. I do recall she said probably no pain. I'm getting a price quote from my general vet tomorrow and will go from there. Linda just doesn't want to spend much more money since our informal estimate is that we have spent well over $15,000, probably closer to $20,000 over the past 7 years (I refuse to add up the bills)

Craig
Old 12-03-2015, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
I know she told me, but I don't remember. I do recall she said probably no pain. I'm getting a price quote from my general vet tomorrow and will go from there. Linda just doesn't want to spend much more money since our informal estimate is that we have spent well over $15,000, probably closer to $20,000 over the past 7 years (I refuse to add up the bills)

Craig
Thanks for the update on Miss Annie. Sorry to hear of the tumor .

I am with ya in not adding up the vet bills. We all know whatever you choose to do will be in Annie's best interest. Give her an extra belly rub tonight from us!

Tami
Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:35 PM

Good to hear that Annie is doing so well except for her eye! Way to go, Annie!

I don't even want to think of how much I've spent on Hank over the years...I've had him almost seven years, little over four years of which was diabetes. Last three years was levamir at 300 every five months. So can just imagine how much if added with everything!

Worth every penny tho, aren't they?
Old 12-03-2015, 10:19 PM

The vet did say "tumor", but I'm thinking it's more like a small growth. Is there a difference? Tumor sounds very serious, but the vet said it in almost a passive way. Like we could have it removed with the eye if we wanted, but no worries if we desided not to. Now I'm worried

Craig
Old 12-04-2015, 08:25 AM
Founding Member

thats the impression i got from your post no big deal . i think you need more of a clarification on what this is and a real analyst of the risks and rewards of having surgery or just leave it alone

in the end there isnt a wrong or wight answer but whats best for you guys as a family unit
Old 12-06-2015, 04:28 PM

I think you do need some more clarification on what the vet meant with his words. Small growth, tumor, lump, etc...all could be bad...but all could be good, too! I know Hank had odd lumps here and there which always made me a little nervous but were just fatty lipomas...I called them his old people bumps.
Old 12-18-2015, 05:45 PM

Sorry to report that I haven't checked back with the eye vet about the growth. It doesn't appear to be getting any bigger, or giving Annie any trouble so we are leaving things alone for now (the $800 estimate may have something to do with our decision).

Now for the current question. 14+ year old Annie is getting stiff. The first 10-15 steps after getting up from one of her many naps takes forever. She can still play, but at a s l o w e r pace. Any suggestions for something OTC to bring a spring to her step? She is currently getting a glucosamine / chondroitin tablet (100mg), 81mg "baby" aspirin, and 500mg fish oil. Sorry, I won't share my wine!

Craig