Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 10-09-2012, 04:25 PM
Founding Member

Default Re: Regulating Bailey

it has been a valuable tool for jesse because she has been unstable since the beginning

for me what our goals are is to try to keep her in a better range for more of the day and if we accomplish that we are happy
Old 10-09-2012, 05:18 PM

Hey Geoff, If you have to get a script for the R anyway I would also be thinking about a script for Humalog. It might be the easier one to start with as it is usually gone in three ish hours. R can be a little trickier to figure out how long it is lasting. Even though the food rise seems to last about 6 hrs. I think humalog would still probably give enough time to make a big difference. For me it was a little less scary to start out with the humalog so if I made a miscalculation the duration was shorter. I do sometimes use R and am not afraid of it anymore, but when tweaking or trying something new I always revert back to the humalog due to how clear it's action is for me.

I purchased the box of 5 x 3 ml pens. You can draw up from a pen the same as you do from a vial. It was expensive, but I was able to get a coupon online for the first box free.

As you know Ruby gets a similar food rise and I switched her to one meal a day last month. It has really helped. She still gets insulin when she doesn't eat it is just a reduced dose like you would do if you had to fast the dog or if they were sick.

hope this helps, Tara
Old 10-09-2012, 05:26 PM

Thanks Tara, I'm not sure of the difference between the two? Here is a site which shows the types of insulin we can get over here:

http://www.nps.org.au/conditions/typ...e_in_australia

Looks like the R lasts longer whilst the Humalog is shorter lasting? From that site you can see Humalog 25 and 50? Is this the same insulin you are using?

Thanks,

Geoff
Old 10-09-2012, 05:44 PM

The humalog I use is the straight Humalog. I think the 25s or the 50s are a mix of the fast (humalog) and the intermediate (neutral protamine lispro). The disadvantage of the mixes is that you aren't able to measure out only what you need of each one, you are stuck with either the 75/25 or 50/50 combo.

Here is a link to the action profile of the different insulins which I think would be comparable.

http://www.k9diabetes.com/forum/show...20&postcount=1

Know though that these are guidelines as to how they work in most, but you will have to determine time frames in Bailey.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:58 PM

Ahhh, ooops. At the top of that list is the Humalog (insulin lispro) A very short acting insulin. Ok so you think this is more "forgiving" than the "R"? Or at least it goes through the system quicker.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:12 PM

Yes, it tends to clear quicker then the R. For me the big advantage is it just seems clearer to me how long the duration is. I am still a little foogy on the R.

It seems like if ruby starts out higher and I use R she burns through it pretty quickly, 3.5 hrs. Lately though I have used it when she hasn't been terribly high, but to counter her food rise and then I had some problems with overlap.

So what I am doing is sticking with the humalog exclusively for now so I don't have the unknown variable of R's duration.

Tara
Old 10-10-2012, 01:58 AM

Default Re: Geoff: A question about meter problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9diabetes View Post
I don't think you have to wait weeks to evaluate a food routine change. The curve should tell you what you need to know about whether to continue as is or tweak further. There is essentially an instant dynamic to the food-insulin balance and that's what you're trying to assess.

Natalie
Hi Natalie and Geoff,

Natalie,
Would the food change need to be in place for a few days before doing a curve? Or in theory could the food be changed today and curve tomorrow?
I'm used to reading that the routine needs to be identical for 3-5 days before curving, so this has me curious.

Hi Geoff,
Bailey is such a sweet looking boy and I hope you can get him sorted out soon.
Jane and Franklin, 8 years, maltese, currently 6.4kg, Australia. Cushing's with elevated hormones dx'd 2009/2010, proteinuria, epilepsy, diabetes dx'd July 2012. Phenobarb 30mg bid, 3mg melatonin bid, lignans sid, caninsulin 4.8u bid (a work in progress). Diet- home cooked. Blind from cataracts January 2013, sighted from surgery February 2013.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:27 PM

Default Re: Geoff: A question about meter problem

Thanks, yes he is a cutie. He has not been regulated from the start. I am hoping some "R" insulin might do the trick. I think I am done fiddling with his food for now!
Old 10-11-2012, 09:26 AM
Senior Member and Moderator

Geoff, I wound up merging your threads but with Bailey's new title so his history is there as questions come up. I figured the meter question title wasn't really an issue anymore
Old 10-11-2012, 03:02 PM

Ahh good one! I actually thought that would be a good idea, yes the meter problem was solved long ago now! Thanks Patty.

Geoff