Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 09-14-2016, 08:31 AM

Default Overwhelmed, frustrated & depressed (both me and my dog)

Four (he was found on the 4th of Sept, in the year 2004, and was my 44th birthday present) has been with me for 12 years, he is likely 13 - possibly 14.
This summer we noted him drinking and pee'ing longer. He also has a large tummy, larger than normal, not fat, likely liquid. Diagnosed in August 2016 as diabetic (off the wall blood test).

Breed: Mixed - poodle, bishon
Insulin began August 24th
Weight 20 lbs (he lost 4 lbs) but is now 23 lbs (usually 24 - 25 lbs)
9.5 units - twice a day
Insulin 7 am eat 7:20 (i cup food) / Dinner 6 pm and insulin ?? before or after - he cant wait until 7 pm to eat dinner!!!
Became blind: Sept 6
Became deaf: Sept 9
Testing : not doing blood, only urine dip tests

We started him on 5 units of insulin, but his urine strips havent changed, so we've increased slowly to 9.5 now (vet says NO higher). The pee strips still measures the most sugar (brown) - i wasnt reading at exact 30 sec mark, so i was mistaken for weeks. Sometimes (rarely) it goes into the area it should (green brown).

My vet recommended urine testing not drawing blood as that is very stressful to Four.

These are my questions:

Must i give him insulin FIRST and then feed 20 minutes later, i note most people do the other way. Four ALWAYS want to eat, he'll eat anytime! I've been told, to give shot, THEN eat 20 mins later. He wants to eat at 5 pm, as he's done that forever, but there is no way I can wake consistently at 5 am to give him a shot.

He seems really depressed (but maybe Im projecting that??). He doesnt know really when Im around (cant see me, or hear my voice), he was never a cuddly dog, but he doesnt want to cuddles, to be pet. He's often alone off starring at walls (whereas before he was always within reach).

Im overwhelmed as for 12 years he is always with me, he's flown to Kauai twice with us, driven all over the US, i work from home, so he is with me 24/7 and as a small dog he is in the car with me. Now he feels so disconnected. Will this get better, i know people say it will, but it sure doesnt feel like it.

Thanks for listening to my sad tale.....
Old 09-14-2016, 08:51 AM

Default Re: Overwhelmed, frustrated & depressed (both me and my dog)

Hello and welcome (though I know you wish you didn't need to be on here)

I expect it will get better - it generally does as people and their dogs adjust to the new routines and as you get the blood sugar down to a better level.

To pick up on some of your specific points -

- most of us do inject after feeding and not the other way round just in case one day they surprise you and refuse to eat. It's then a bit of a problem as you can't undo the injection.

- I don't agree with your vet that blood testing is stressful for the dogs. I was stressed by it but our dog has never been, and he barks at us and paws at us if he thinks it is time for his test and we haven't done it yet. The trick is to get them to associate it with a treat (or game or whatever they like) so that they associate testing with nice things. It is quite simple though it feels like a big deal until you actually do it.

(It may not apply to you but our vets tested blood sugar by drawing blood form a vein as they do for a proper blood sample. We just use a little lancet device that produces a single drop of blood so it is a much smaller thing to do than "drawing" blood).

Once you have blood tests then you have as much information as you need to start to get a good grip on your dog's blood sugar. It is extremely useful and you can do a spot check any time you are concerned or just curious about your dog's sugar level.

For a while we used the urine strips (our vet had never had people request those before, let alone do their own blood testing). But the strips give only a vague average indication and tell you nothing about high or low points.

If you have any inclination at all to do it, I would very much recommend blood testing. You don't even need to tell your vet that you are doing it. We didn't mention it until I was sure we were going to stick with it and then we just told him that was what we were doing. You don't need their permission.

- I'm puzzled about the deafness. That is not I think a typical diabetic side effect and I wonder if it is possible that he has a separate ear infection or something going on. Our dog can't see and is also prone to ear infections which make him a bit deaf and then communication can be a struggle. I would maybe try to get that investigated to check whether something can be done to improve that.

Has your vet done a "curve" yet to track his blood sugar through a day?

Antonia
Old 09-14-2016, 09:56 AM

Wink Re: Overwhelmed, frustrated & depressed (both me and my dog)

Welcome
The best thing you can do for yourself and your pup is blood test...you can use human meter,cheap at walmart,but it is the only way to get some control of diabetes. Most pups will come running because they get a treat.my sissy gets a green bean,lol.. it doesnt hurt them and helps you help them. There are several places to test,find the one that works for you. I use the carpal pads.on the back of the front legs above the "ankle"!!
What kind of insulin is he on
Sissy 13 yr old Bichon, born 4/17/03, 12 lbs. Diagnoised 7/20/12. Passed away 12/29/16 in my arms. My life will never be the same again. She will always be with me. Run free my babygirl 3 ozs I/D 4 x's day. 1.75 units levemir 2 times a day. .1 mg thyroid pill, tramadol for leg pain, morning & night,Use Alphatrak 2 and Relion Confirm meters.
Old 09-14-2016, 10:27 AM

Thanks I'll go to Walmart right now and start testing blood, as these pee strips arent helping me!!! Any advice on kind etc? She did one blood test (took it from his lip) and it was super high.

QUESTIONS:

Where do you poke him to get the blood sample. She did his lip and had a really hard time getting the blood.

There is NEVER an issue with Four and food, so do you think its ok to feed first - how long do then you then wait for injection?

Thanks,

Kim
Old 09-14-2016, 10:35 AM

Good .. I test on the pad on the back side of front leg.its the carpal pad.kind of between the foot and knee.I do the left leg in morning,and right leg at night.
Walmart has several.I use the relion confirm meter.It is about $15.00 and the strips are 35.00 for 100..
Most of us test before food, feed them,then right after food give insulin...
You can give pure protein ( like boiled skinless chicken for treat,or I do slightly cooked green beans. ( i keep enough for a few days in frig,and after any test,she gets 1 piece of bean.
Feel free to ask questions.there are a lot of us that have been on this road for awhile

Jackie
Sissy 13 yr old Bichon, born 4/17/03, 12 lbs. Diagnoised 7/20/12. Passed away 12/29/16 in my arms. My life will never be the same again. She will always be with me. Run free my babygirl 3 ozs I/D 4 x's day. 1.75 units levemir 2 times a day. .1 mg thyroid pill, tramadol for leg pain, morning & night,Use Alphatrak 2 and Relion Confirm meters.
Old 09-14-2016, 10:45 AM

What kind of insulin do you use???
Old 09-14-2016, 11:25 AM

I use Novolin insulin

Just got home from Walmart, got a One Touch Ultra 2 (with needles and strips was $90 CAD).

Any more suggestions on where to test would be helpful, Four is quite hairy. When vet did it his lip, which was horrible, had to poke a number of times to get blood.

What should a reading be?? Obviously the pharmacist had no idea

Thanks so much,

Kim
Old 09-14-2016, 11:33 AM

You get novolin at walmart also,right.

That is a good meter.it will read a bit lower than the dog one,but most members say it is pretty good.

You can test on outside vein of ear,back beside top of tail,lip.. does Four have any skin tags???? They work great
Old 09-14-2016, 11:41 AM

The ideal range for a pup is 100 -300...thats giving a little leadway..
First,you are going to see how he runs ..
If you go to the forum homepage,there are videos of testing in different places,also you can find them on YouTube. ..
There are several of us here in so.cal
Old 09-14-2016, 11:45 AM

Exclamation Re: Overwhelmed, frustrated & depressed (both me and my dog)

On the home page, go to learn about diabetes, then there is a link to the testing videos