Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:01 AM
Founding Member

Default Re: Husky owner with diabetes questions

i would be curious to see a curve on your pup and it may have to cover a 24 hour period on one shot one meal . if blood sugar is level and stable its possible it could work

there is maybe a handful of dogs that have one shot a day but thats with 2 meals which in my opinion why feed twice with one shot but it works for them

my jesse is on one meal and a snack with 3 shots a day so sometimes you have to be creative especially for a dog that is difficult to regulate

i would have been ecstatic if jesse just needed one meal and one shot and did try to see if it would work she actually could get to 18 hours with respectable numbers close but no cigar the last 6 hours she raised quite dramatically

so in theory its possible especially if a dog is still producing some insulin which is possible with your pup showing good improvement on a low dose of insulin and being only one shot .

generally a meal and a shot every 12 hours is where most begin there are some that may need to go outside the box like jesse had to

home testing will help to facilitate the regulation process and keep your pup safe
Old 02-21-2014, 12:07 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Husky owner with diabetes questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibhus View Post
I was curious as she only eats once a day, do you guys recommend insulin just once a day and also do i really need to change to two feedings, this will obviously require a new BG profile to determine insulin amounts.
Generally, a dose of insulin is based on being given with a meal. So if you are going to feed only once a day, the insulin injection with food would be quite a few more units than the insulin injection when no food is given.

Usually a dog can manage anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 of a with-food dose of insulin given without any food.

So if 8 units was the right dose WITH a meal, a place to start trying to give insulin without a meal would be about 2 units.

. . . . .

Either way, there's some experimenting that has to be done.

Also, you want to be sure to change only one thing at a time. So you work either on the insulin dose or on the diet but not both simultaneously if you can avoid it.

Once you have the insulin dose sorted it out, it should vary only slightly with a change in the content of the diet and perhaps a bit more if you change the number of calories given.

A diet heavy in protein does not always work well for diabetic dogs. Depends on how fast they absorb and use up their insulin. If they use the insulin fast and digest a high protein diet slowly, they can get poorly matched sugar and insulin. Diabetic dogs consequently sometimes actually really need a carbohydrate as a part of their meals.

Natalie
Old 03-18-2014, 04:57 PM

Default dog food and exercise questions

Currently im feeding Hills ID and cooked chicken to my 10yr old diabetic husky as she had a bout of pancreatitis a month back which resulted in in her diabetes. This combo will get pricey in the long run and i would like to start weening her onto a suitable dry food and was wondering what some of you recommend? So far ive seen EVO weight management. I know Hills has WD but ive read conflicting stories about it. So am open to suggestions? prior to my dogs diabetes i was giving her blue buffalo adult chicken but she has diarrhea from it, so i have given up on that brand.

The other thing is, i tend to feed my dog around 7pm and take her for a 25 minute walk and then come back to giver her insulin. She does not eat in the mornings, but I noticed a huge rise (526) after a walk, is this normal? I thought exercise generally reduces BG levels?

Thanks Kal
Old 03-18-2014, 05:37 PM
Founding Member

Default Re: dog food and exercise questions

hi and welcome

its not unusual to see a rise after a walk if insulin is fading or non existent and it can be dramatic . so your walking wright before insulin is given which can be the weakest time for many pups . i did see the same thing for jesse but over time she has done much better with walks and blood sugar . i guess her body adapted over time .

many on the forum feed there pups many different combinations and the funny thing most work . my jesse is ion a partially raw diet . top priority is if the dog will eat everyday and hopefully for a long time .
Old 03-18-2014, 05:50 PM

Sorry I don't have any experience with pancreatitis and appropriate diets, but many folks here deal with it and will offer their experience.

The reason you are seeing the huge food rise is because you have given food with no insulin to balance it for the first half hour. If you are giving NPH insulin it takes a little bit of time to get going. Most of us inject at feeding time as long as we are sure that our dogs will eat and not vomit.

You are right that exercise can help lower bgs, but it seems to be a dog dependant thing. If the insulin is waning though, as yours would be at walk time, then the exercise may cause bgs to rise instead. You'll just need to see how your dog reacts to it and many other things as you will get almost as many different trends as you will diabetic dogs.

But most importantly, you say you are feeding once a day? Are you giving insulin twice a day? On this forum you will find many different approaches, but feeding once a day and injecting once a day isn't a typical approach and could lead to a lot of problems.

Now this is coming from a person who did feed once a day, but I had a lot of experience. I am not saying it can't be done, but the caregiver needs to have a fair amount of knowledge to safely do it that way.

Can you tell us some more about your dog:
-weight
-type of insulin
-dose

Tara

Last edited by Rubytuesday; 03-18-2014 at 05:52 PM.
Old 03-18-2014, 05:54 PM

Hi Kal,
When we discovered our dog had diabetes we switched to Evo Weight Loss also, but feed for maintenance because he is a small breed (Westie) and had already lost 4 lbs. He tolerates the food really well and has not experienced any problems with it. We feed every 12 hours and then inject. We also feed chicken and a little meat for treats. I will leave the high numbers after exercise to the senior members. Good Luck
Holly

Last edited by Holly; 03-18-2014 at 05:58 PM. Reason: left out section
Old 03-18-2014, 06:36 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

All dogs are different but my Maggie has had pancreatitis several times. I was told she can only have low fat food but I discovered that anything with white potatoes or rice is something she cannot tolerate. Thats tough to find plus she is a picky eater. I don't know if all dogs with pancreatitis are the same, but those are two things she will not tolerate.

I use a food with moderate fat, Nutrisca, and she does great. It can be a little difficult to manage as her blood sugar is a tightrope. She also eats at least three meals a day. She can't get by on two. I would love if she would eat something different just because I hate fighting low blood sugar but it beats emergency vet visits and the pain of pancreatitis.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:44 PM

thanks for the feedback,

Currently my dog Sierra is eating twice at 7pm and 9:30pm, cooked chicken and hills ID canned. Ive tried really hard to get her to eat in the mornings but its a no go and she is a stubborn eater.

Therefore, ive been giving Sierra 4 units in the morning with 2 iams biscuits and chicken jerky. At night i am giving her 13 units of Humulin N. I still have not been able to get a BG profile but have taken a few random readings which ranged from 110-290 with this combination.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:47 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

If at all possible, you need a curve. That is quite a difference in insulin and I would want to know Sierra is not going low. I think you need a 24 hour curve. Do you know what time her low point is? You must find this out because it is playing with disaster guessing.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:06 PM

Yup, I definitely agree with Amy. Like I said different feeding routines can be achieved but there needs to be some numbers backing it up to be sure it is safe.

Tara