Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jenny Diabetic & Cushings Poodle is an Angel...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Jenny 11 y/o Poodle

Originally posted by Judi View Post
    But she still tried to kill a stuffed animal.
    LOVE this! Spunk is always a good sign.

Having boy dogs, I have no advice on the 'girl privates.'

But my recent 'private' boy lesson learned is that one should always check Christmas photos closely before posting them for family to see - as boy dogs might have parts that periodically come and go and if one is not careful they might inadvertently capture one of the 'out' moments. And if one is focused on the child in the picture and not the pup sitting next to her - they may miss the public display of the 'out' moment until the husband so lovingly points it out. Good times - LOL!
    Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

Originally posted by momofdecker View Post
      And if one is focused on the child in the picture and not the pup sitting next to her - they may miss the public display of the 'out' moment until the husband so lovingly points it out. Good times - LOL!
      ha ha ha Holli! when we had a boy shar pei we went to obedience class before he was neutered and he was so excited that a little kid kept pointing that fact out to his Mom. glad your husband caught it before you ordered hundreds to mail!
      Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

oh that just cracks me up

my daughters 7 month old puppy is all boy and madly in love with jesse. hes spending winter break with us . my daughters terminology is lip stick that's what she calls it and i thought about it and it is a very good description . just the little things that make me laugh .
        Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
        Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Hahahahahahaha!
          Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

well, darn it all Jenny has joined the pancreatitis club. I know we caught it right away because she ate this morning, vomited at noon, and just couldn't get comfortable so I had her at the ER vet by 4.

Her blood sugar was ok, kidneys are ok. Liver has some not ok readings, she is anemic and a little dehydrated.

The ER vet is an hour away and I was asking about doing subQ liquids at home so I didn't have to leave my little old blind girl in a strange place, and I got a little teary. ugh.

With all of her issues, we decided to leave her there.

Right after throwing up her blood sugar was 290 and at the ER vet it was 285. The vet commented that if he couldn't keep any food down her he might skip her insulin but would monitor it. I told him if he was using "N" (which he won't be) that I would feel 100% comfortable with her getting 2 units with no food since she and I have 2 1/2 years of this disease under our belts now.

He was nice and said he'd call but wouldn't commit. I'm waiting for his call; I also have him doing the baseline cortisol since they had already drawn her blood.

So, the way the Fargo ER vet works, they close at 8am and she has to go to a regular vet's office and then they would kick her out at 5pm back to the ER vet.

Our regular vet will hospitalize but doesn't monitor like the ER vet does.

Its supposed to snow tonight so they have someone who will transport her but I hate that it isn't me.

Tell me she is going to be ok. At least we are doing what we can. I'll be able to talk to her Fargo vet in the morning and they have a good handle on diabetes so I will actually feel better to get her there.

sorry for the book. My husband is fishing and I'm not telling anyone else. I do not want to hear the comments. (not from you guys, from all the people who thought we should have put her down 2 years ago)
            Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Sorry to hear of Jenny's problems, Judi. You both are in my thoughts and prayers.

Bill
              Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

Oh gosh! I will be nervous right along side of you....even though it sounds like they know what's going on. Scary stuff....fingers crossed and sending you a hug and a glass of wine...
                Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

Judi,

How scary! I know she is in good hands with the all night monitoring but it still doesn't give you much comfort. It stinks when they are not at home.

Hopefully, it is not a very severe case and you will get to bring her home tomorrow. Why do these things always happen on weekends?

She is a tough old girl and she will fight her way through this. I hate that you are alone but we are there in spirit with you. Keep us posted.

Amy D
                  Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

thanks you guys. she is a tough old girl and she needed some pain meds which she is getting.

I am hopeful because we caught it so early. Ranger was not happy that his supper was 2 hours late in addition to being left alone all evening!

I thought I was done being overly emotional about her. wrong again! thanks.

Comment

Awe Judi. I'm sorry Jenny has the dreaded P-word . I will say a prayer for her that she heals quickly and the docs manage her well. I never was good at letting anyone else have control with Ali. It's hard when you know them so well. But she will get the meds she needs. Keep us posted! We are here for you.
                      Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Thanks Patty. I feel responsible. She hasn't been liking the WD so I've been giving her 2 ounces of that and almost 2 ounces of Grammy's pot pie cause she loves that stuff. stupid me.

the ER vet just called and said she is resting comfortably and he feels like there is a good shot I can take her home at 5 tomorrow. he told me she isn't scared and she usually isn't but I'm pretty sure he'd say that no matter what!

her baseline cortisol was up to 5.3! a year ago it was something like .3.

good and bad I guess. I'm glad we didn't kill her adrenals but that may explain why along with the food I've had to increase her insulin. She has no cushings symptoms right now but I will need to have an ACTH done soon once we get her past this.

Originally posted by Patty View Post
                        Awe Judi. I'm sorry Jenny has the dreaded P-word . I will say a prayer for her that she heals quickly and the docs manage her well. I never was good at letting anyone else have control with Ali. It's hard when you know them so well. But she will get the meds she needs. Keep us posted! We are here for you.

Comment

Prayers for Jenny and a glass of wine for Judi. Glad she might be coming home tomorrow.
                          Laura & Charlie 29 lb male lhasapoo diagnosed October 2013. 16ish units of Novolin N. 1 & 1/3 cup of Natural Balance Fat Dog twice a day. An egg with breakfast and chicken with dinner. Shares string cheese with us late afternoon. Cyclosporine ointment for KCS. Blind from cataracts January 2014. Crossed the rainbow bridge 2/1/2016 at 14.5 years

Comment

It's such a balance with food and what they can/can't handle. Good to hear she may be able to come home. Wow on the cortisol level. That's a surprise.
                            Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

So sorry, I will be praying for a healthy recovery.
                              Ben wgt. 45 lbs. Puggle diagnosed 1/15/14 Hills Science Diet W/D with smaller topper of wet Novalin-N 13 units b.i.d.

Comment

thanks guys. they did give her some insulin after she got up to 600. tonight is iffy for coming home but she did ok.

this musical chairs vet office thing seems a little bizarre but with all of Jenny's issues I'm glad she had people around checking on her last night. she had no interest in food. no shock there.

Comment

Working...
                                X