Ace - Maltese diagnosed 11/2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: possibly diabetic maltese!?

Sounds good, ill tell that to the vet when we go.

Took two more readings both just a bit under 200.

One thing to note again, hes 100% acting like his old self. Normal drinking, normal urination ect.

Not to beat a dead horse, but what are the chances all of this could be from a severe uti? Or, is it possible to fix this with a brand new diet? Just trying to see what sort of options we have. My main reason is after talking to the vet, she told me a completely different story than she told to my wife. Basically recommended every possible test in the book and xrays and ultrasounds. I also did a urine dipstick test, before it was showing positive, today it's showing trace.

Im just really confused at this point but obviously will continue with a healthier lifestyle and continue to monitor his BG.

Comment

To be honest, the BG readings in the 200s, and lower, without insulin is confusing. I think, generally, newly diagnosed diabetics have much higher numbers. It will be interesting what you find out at the vet visit.

One possible explanation is that your meter might be reading his blood much lower than true. I have a bunch of meters and all the human meters read Annie's blood lower than the doggie Alphatrak-2 meter. In fact, a 200 on my Relion Prime meter would be comparable to about 285 on the AlphaTrak-2 meter (I've run side-by-side tests on the same blood droplet). Possibly your meter has an even greater "error" with dog blood? Don't get me wrong, not saying your meter isn't good, just that it might be interesting if your vet would compare readings with both your meter and his meter so that you would know the difference. If he would compare for you, it should be done at the same time (same blood droplet if possible) because BG can vary over a short period of time.

Craig
      Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

My Sparky's blood sugar wasn't terribly high when he was first diagnosed - running in the low 200s, I believe. I think I caught him very early in his diabetes. As time went on, he did wind up having extremely high glucose at times. So it's entirely possible that you caught the diabetes as it is developing with your pup. You might find that his blood sugar becomes more elevated as you work toward regulating him, until you finally get to the correct dose.
        Sparky Love, diagnosed March 5, 2014. Enrolled in Kinostat study to prevent cataract formation. Pancreatitis June 16, 2014 - hospitalized for 6 days in the ICU. Went to the Rainbow Bridge June 23, 2014. I love you very much, baby.

Comment

I suppose there is always a chance it could be some kind of severe reaction to a very severe UTI but even if he doesn't have full blown diabetes, I would worry about his pancreas function and if by some crazy chance it is not diabetes and he goes back to normal, I would keep my eye on it as I think it won't be the last of it. I don't know if it is likely to be from this infection but that would certainly be good news if that was all it was.

In your shoes, I would start with the blood test to determine diabetes and then decide from there what tests might be appropriate. Honestly, there are worse things than diabetes - On one hand, I hope it is just diabetes and not something worse.

The healthy lifestyle is a good idea either way.
          Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Ok this may sound crazy, and I was to embarrassed to tell the vet. Like I said, this could sound crazy so bear with me.

I suffer from multiple types of seizures. Most of them ace is ok with. Last month I started having a new type that I never had. I forget the medical name the neurolgist told me, but I call them rage seizures. Basically I scream violently for about a minute until I snap out of it. Ill also be super angry and antsy until I can rest for a while. Its the reason why I cant take care of my daughter myself and my mother babysits till the wife gets home.

Now heres the kicker, ace freaks out and instantly hides and pees everywhere. Most of my seizures are documented, but not all. My wife and I were going over it tonight, and this all started with ace shortly after I started these types of seizures.

Is it possible im creating some kind of anxiety that would cause his body to react like this? Of course I started a new seizure med the same day he had started his antibiotics. Ive had none of the rage seizures since, and his water and urine has returned to normal.

Maybe im grasping at straws, but its just something im wondering. Sadly my brain doesn't work like most peoples now adays, so when something gets on my mind, its a nonstop sticking point till I get answers.

Sorry if this post is out of line or context, just figured it was worth asking, before embarassing myself in front of vet on Tuesday.

Comment

Hmmmm, well, the one thing I can think of is this: stress causes an increase in the amount of cortisol that is produced by your (or your dog's) body. Elevated cortisol can cause elevated blood glucose. So given the scenario you mentioned, I can see how it is possible that this is stress induced. I think the only way you're going to know for sure is to continue testing your pup's glucose for a little while and see what you get.

And nothing to be embarrassed about. This isn't something you're trying to do to your pup. I know several people who have had head injuries, and who have seizures. It's biologically driven and not a "behavior". It's not any different than, well, having diabetes :-)
              Last edited by Cara Sandler; 11-16-2014, 08:23 PM.
              Sparky Love, diagnosed March 5, 2014. Enrolled in Kinostat study to prevent cataract formation. Pancreatitis June 16, 2014 - hospitalized for 6 days in the ICU. Went to the Rainbow Bridge June 23, 2014. I love you very much, baby.

Comment

Well, I think we have all read about therapy dogs who can tell when their owner's blood glucose is high, or feeling impacted by PTSD or even sense a seizure about to occur. Since Ace loves you he may be responding, just as you would if the situation was reversed. Please share this with your vet, Ace may be simply need a thunder shirt, or doggy Prozac, or some else to help him cope.

It certainly can't hurt to keep him on a low glycemic food.

Great news that the new medication is helping both of you!

Laura
                Laura & Charlie 29 lb male lhasapoo diagnosed October 2013. 16ish units of Novolin N. 1 & 1/3 cup of Natural Balance Fat Dog twice a day. An egg with breakfast and chicken with dinner. Shares string cheese with us late afternoon. Cyclosporine ointment for KCS. Blind from cataracts January 2014. Crossed the rainbow bridge 2/1/2016 at 14.5 years

Comment

interesting and yes i would say its possible stress can induce higher blood sugar

my jesse is epileptic and has grand mal seizures . after having a seizure her blood sugar will be high. could be out of whack for a couple days

for the last year her seizures have been reduced from 2 a month to 1 every 3 months . she has never been on any medication . not sure why we have seen such a dramatic reduction in her symptoms but very grateful for the relief

diabetes has changed jesses life . i switched her diet to a home prepared diet that is partially raw . low glycemic a few natural supplements . she has done well health wise . this is something i did on my own for the most part maybe influenced by a higher power because i am not that smart

the next phase was me . my health was not that good . joints hurt high blood pressure and cholesterol . not on any medication but doctor wanted to start . i decided to change how i did things with jesse showing me the way . funny i thought i saved her life but she saved mine . my health improved dramatically as with jesse . it shows if given the chance the body can do amazing things without intervention from modern medicine .

jesses diabetes has taught me so much i have learned if things are deteriorating i am going in the wrong direction . i have learned to be a detective of health and how to improve it taking small steps forward sometimes backwards but all a learning experience
                  Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                  Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Welcome to you and Ace. And very sorry to hear about the many health issues you are facing.

Home blood sugar testing will help you determine whether Ace is diabetic. Normal blood sugar for a dog is essentially the same as normal blood sugar for a person - between about 75 and maybe 120 or 130.

So Ace's blood sugar is elevated even at 160-200. In a human, I imagine he would be considered at least prediabetic.

Anything affecting the pancreas can lead to elevated blood sugar, as can Cushing's disease and some other hormonal disorders.

I actually think a diabetes diagnosis might be the best of the possible options. It is a highly controllable disease that doesn't have to have any impact on your dog's lifespan. And it can be treated much less expensively than pancreatitis or Cushing's disease.

I think you and your wife will need to be very clear with the vet that you cannot afford constant monitoring at the vet and therefore need to do curves and other testing at home and use the most affordable insulin, Walmart's Relion N.

Since your dog is small, a bottle of insulin should easily last a month to six weeks - that's $25. The syringes are not very expensive either at Walmart... my recollection is that a box of 100 - a 2.5 month supply - used to be about $12-14. Lancets are cheap. So that leaves the cost of the test strips, which you can get less expensively online than at a local pharmacy. Some folks use eBay or Amazon. I used to get mine from http://www.adwdiabetes.com/

By testing at home, you can do a full blood glucose curve for less than $10 and the meter itself should last for years.

So monthly, about $20 for insulin, $5 for syringes, $3 for lancets, and between $10 and $20 for blood sugar testing if done fairly regularly. Total cost of about $40 a month with frequent monitoring, less than $30 without.

If you know someone who is diabetic, especially if on Medicare, they often get far more test strips and lancets than they use - might be able to get a donation of some.

I also have a Bayer Contour meter donated by someone whose dog passed away. I could send it to you. The Contour is a pretty good meter for dogs. If you are interested, let me know and I will send it to you.

Natalie

Natalie

Comment

I think I might also have some syringes I can send you if that would help. I'll have to check and see.

Comment

Thank you all for the kind words and generous offers.

I have a few family members who are diabetic, and also have offered some of their excess supplies. Thank you guys so much though, thats a very kind thing to do to a stranger

Should hopefully find out late this afternoon whats going on. Ill keep you all posted!

Comment

We'll be very interested to hear what the vet has to say.
                          Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

Talk about bad luck. Appt got rescheduled due to a water main break in front of vets office!

Comment

Darn! We'll all be pulling for you tomorrow then!
                              Laura & Charlie 29 lb male lhasapoo diagnosed October 2013. 16ish units of Novolin N. 1 & 1/3 cup of Natural Balance Fat Dog twice a day. An egg with breakfast and chicken with dinner. Shares string cheese with us late afternoon. Cyclosporine ointment for KCS. Blind from cataracts January 2014. Crossed the rainbow bridge 2/1/2016 at 14.5 years

Comment

Small update. They were closed again today, but they did call. I take ace tomorrow night.

We did get the results of the culture though. He says its a very severe uti and the antibiotics ace is on right now arent effective as the e.coli (i think he said) is resistant to it.

I told him what the other vet (come to find out 100%, she is not a vet there, but is a vet somewhere else and was filling in as a favor) said, and he said she slightly over exagerated the glucose in the urine. I told him about the seizures, and the diet change ect. He says its a very real possibility by the amount of glucose in the urine that it was just stress and the uti playing a role. But he did say he, and I, would both feel more comfortable having the blood test just to make sure. At least hearing that from him made me a little more relaxed.

How quickly do the blood tests usually come back? Answers before leaving the vets, or wait a few days? Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X