Little Bear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little Bear

I can bring these back but just purchased(were suggested even though I had written down 100U for them) Reli-On's 1/2 ml cc...Doses up to 50 units..31G 5/16".

Currently it's 8U twice a day.

Re: Help needed- 40U to 50U conversion

Or is what I have considered 100U? The 40's I currently have go up to 20 on the syringe. These new ones go to 50. So I'm assuming doubling them gives you the U size?

Comment

You're talking about insulin syringes bought at Walmart (ReliOn brand)?

All ReliOn syringes are U-100, for use with standard U-100 insulins like Novolin and Humulin (NOT Vetsulin). They come in various sizes: 30 unit, 50 unit and 100 unit capacity.

If you are using Vetsulin, a U-40 insulin, you should only use U-40 syringes that normally can only be found at a vet clinic. Walmart (ReliOn) does not sell a syringe for Vetsulin.

Craig
      Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Dutch, looks like you've never told us about your pup? What insulin are you using? Tell us about your pup.

Craig
        Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Thanks. I'm going the smaller needle route like many have talked about here though. The only thing with the U-40 from the vet is 29 G and 1/2". This thread talks about the conversion http://www.k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=959
          but I just need to make sure what I have is what is being talked about there. If it is..it'd be 20.

Comment

Originally posted by CraigM View Post
            Dutch, looks like you've never told us about your pup? What insulin are you using? Tell us about your pup.

Craig
            Well I mentioned briefly in another thread I have a miniature schnuazer. Little Bear is his name..9 years old. Diagnosed a bit over a week ago now. Vetsulin is indeed what he's on.

Comment

So, you are using Vetsulin and had been injecting 6 units using a U-40 syringe. You don't like the long - thick needle that U-40 syringes come as, right? You are wanting to use U-100 syringes because they are thinner, right?

Comment

8 units..and yep, thinner...and shorter.

Comment

OK, I understand.

First, it's probably best to stay with the U-40 syringe to avoid misunderstandings. If you REALLY want to proceed switching to the U-100 syringe while using Vetsulin you would multiply the U40 units by 2.5 to get the same amount of liquid in the U-100 syringe. So, if you want to continue injecting 6 units of Vetsulin, you would multiply 6 X 2.5 = 15. You would draw in Vetsulin to the "15 line" on a U-100 syringe.

You would NOT say that you are injecting 15 units, you would actually only be injecting 6 units of the Vetsulin in the above example. The numbers on the syringe are only correct if you are using the insulin they are made for. This can be very confusing if talking to someone else like a vet.

Craig

Comment

oops. 8 units. so, 8 X 2.5 = 20.

A test would be to use an old U-40 syringe filled to "8" with water. Then fill a U-100 syringe to "20" with water. Both syringes should have identical amount of water.

Comment

But is what I have considered a 100U syringe?
                      Not a bad way to find out..with that test. Will try it in a bit.

Comment

Since you and Little Bear are really just starting, the possible solution is to switch from Vetsulin to Novolin-N from Walmart! The Novolin-N is only $25/vial, much less expensive than Vetsulin and you would have the correct match: U-100 Novolin-N and U-100 syringes! That would be the way to go (I think).

Craig

Comment

Kind of hard to tell with that test..such a small amount of water- seems it's around 18 each time but I'm getting so many bubbles that even after flicking it I'm still seeing them and some water is spitting out when trying to clear them.

Is a prescription needed for the Walmart purchase? I suppose I'd need to check with the vet anyway...I'm sure they'll hate the idea because that's less money for them.

Thanks for the help ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Dutch View Post
                            If you bought it at Walmart, it's a U-100 syringe. The "U-100" refers to the type of insulin the syringe was designed to be used with. Walmart sells U-100 syringes in three sizes: 30, 50, and 100 unit capacity. To make things a little more confusing, they come in several different needle gauges (thickness) and needle length.

If you consider switching to Novolin-N from Walmart you would only fill your new syringe to the "8". Switching to Novolin-N can be a real money saver. First, it's only $25/vial, then you would actually be injecting a lot less insulin! Most States don't require a prescription for Novolin-N.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Dutch View Post
                              It is - 1cc =100 unit so 1/2cc = 50 units. I use the 3/10 cc which only holds 30 units total but it is based on a U100 insulin. I didn't buy the Relion last time but the ones I bought at Sam's have imprinted "for U100 insulin only". I can't remember if the Relion brand says that but it should say so on the packaging. The difference in those 3 measurements is the barrel size. Since I have a small dog who uses 2 1/2 units at the most, I get the 3/10 size because they have half unit markings and no point in having a syringe so big for a small dose.

So, you have to use the conversion to use Vetsulin with the syringes. The biggest problem is when you talk to the vet, you have to make sure you speak in terms of how many units you use in U-40 insulin or you could be easily misunderstood and get on the wrong dose. I think it gets complicated to convert it.
                              Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Working...
                              X