Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Answers - Archive of helpful posts from the forum > Medications and Pharmacy Information

Medications and Pharmacy Information Anything related to medications for diabetes and other conditions

Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 12:26 AM
Founding Member

Wink Re: Metacam liquid pain medicine

I think it only comes in the 7.5, my vet did not give to me, she rx-ed it to me and i took to pharmancy, my only guess is that my dog weighs 90 lbs, he was started out on 1/2 tablet, that'd be 3.2 mg, cut into 8th's .93 mg each.

.93 X 8 = 7.44 or the 7.5 mg original tablet

ask the vet what mg you would give the dog if she would prescribe it, that would give you an answer to the mg. for your doggies.

Ex: Niki used 2 times 51 lbs

I know I gave Niki 1/2 tablet 3.2 when she hurt her leg when first blind so she is 51 lbs. So the 1/2 tablet must work for 51 lb dog also, thats what the vet told me to do, i had to call her first to see if Niki could take it being she was diabetic.
Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday
Old 04-21-2008, 02:09 AM
Founding Member

Default Re: Metacam liquid pain medicine

The metacam liquid says that it is .1mg per kg for a maintenance dose so using that as a guide I would only give one .4mg and the other .5mg. I have a larger dog (25kg) that I could divide one of the 7.5mg tablets up into about 1/3 and that would save money when I have to give it to him.
Jenny & Buddy
Old 04-22-2008, 01:59 PM
Founding Member

Well I have just had success thanks to Nikki and Dolly! You were right and Canada Vet does ship to Australia with and Aust. RX. Depending on the postage costs and whether our customs let it through it will make for a big saving.
Jenny & Buddy
Old 04-23-2008, 08:42 PM
Founding Member

Terrific, I was just talking to a lady at the other board about Metacam she did not know about the tablet form either, those damn vets!!!!!!
Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday
Closed Thread