Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Answers - Archive of helpful posts from the forum > RECALLS: Diets, Medications, Etc.

RECALLS: Diets, Medications, Etc. Diets for diabetics and nondiabetics, content of prepared diets, homecooking, and recalls of commercial pet food and treats

Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 07:01 AM
Founding Member

Default Food Related Recalls and Warnings

Hope this is where I put this post!!
Have just been reading about the NutroMax food warning on the other diabetes site.
Lady has had some Nutro senior food, dry and canned, mixed in with her RC food since January. It's easy for me to get, whether I'm in Ontario or on the road, and she likes it Now I read the stories of people who have lost their pets due to NutroMax foods! She hasn't had any problems but it doesn't make me feel very comfortable feeding her this product.
Will have to check the Nutro company's site and keep reading...there has to be a product out there that is good quality and easy for me to get!!
Jo-Ann & Lady

PS--If the food and drug people on this continent would spend more time checking out the pet food manufacturers than whether they can find something out about trilostane that the UK people haven't already discovered our pets would be better off!!
Old 03-24-2008, 08:26 AM
Administrator

Default Re: NutroMax food warning

The warnings about Nutro Max are coming from here:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com:80/pets/nutro.html

These are self-reports to the consumeraffairs.com website rather than a formal recall or notice from the manufacturer at this point.

Another good site for recall information is www.itchmo.com.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:05 PM
Founding Member

I have been feeding Niki some of the Nutro Senior and also my other dog, I have had no problems, i did write to Nutro and told them to be the first pet food co. to list their labels like human foods, i said "wouldn't that be nice to be the first dog food co. to do that" I'm sure it would increase your sales
Old 04-03-2008, 11:43 AM
Founding Member

Hi again,
I've been doing some sanding and priming of walls and that has my carpel tunnel acting up so typing can be a chore.
Thanks for the site, Natalie. That was the one that got me re-thinking using Nutro Natural Choice as part of Lady's diet. I've decided to cut the amount in half that goes into her food. I was just using it as a treat so will cut it with Science Diet Senior dry and moistened dry. We'll be at a store in 2-3 weeks where I can get Solid Gold food and can use it for a treat. I'm pretty sure our humane society shelter will use what I have left as it will just be mixed in with the other food they use.
Hi Niki's mom, all of the dog food that I use for Lady has the ingredients on the label...doesn't matter where I bought the food, US or Canada. What am I missing in your post? Or am I just having another senior moment? :
Take care,
Jo-Ann & Lady
Old 04-03-2008, 10:31 PM
Founding Member

I guess what I mean is some distributors don't rotate their dogfood or sell dogfood that has expired or thats at the bottom of the pile, or in a too hot of an area, or maybe too cold, I read this somewhere during the past recall when it came out about the wheat from China, when I was assured from my feed store lady mine was not on the recall list i was happy
Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday
Old 04-03-2008, 10:43 PM
Founding Moderator

The Itchmo Forums are another place to do some reading about pet foods.

http://www.itchmoforums.com/
Old 04-14-2008, 11:49 PM
Founding Member

what I feed is the Nutro Senior or Nutro Light dry.
Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday
Old 04-18-2008, 07:58 AM
Founding Moderator

FYI--there are still more bad reports coming from people who were feeding Nutro:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0...recalls93.html

ConsumerAffairs.com April 18, 2008

String of Illnesses Afflicts NUTRO-Fed Pets
Company insists its food is '100% safe'

"ConsumerAffairs.com also heard from a South Carolina pet owner, who discovered what she calls "foreign" objects in her recent bags of NUTRO food.

""In two of the last five bags I've fed my dogs, I've found pieces of something that look like nylon," said Lori W. "I found one piece stuck out from one end and hooked through a piece of kibble. It was maybe one-half inch long. Most are a lot thinner."

"After making these discoveries, Lori switched her six dogs to another brand of food."

Unidentified object found in Lori W.'s NUTRO pet food
Old 04-24-2008, 04:17 PM
Founding Moderator

Default FYI--FDA Finds Problems at Evanger's

http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/NEWS/2008/NEW01825.html

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
April 24, 2008
Media Inquiries:
Kimberly Rawlings, 301-827-6242
Consumer Inquiries:
888-INFO-FDA

FDA Orders Pet Food Maker to Obtain Emergency Operating Permit

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration issued an order requiring that Evanger's Dog & Cat Food Co., Inc., in Wheeling, Ill., obtain an emergency permit from the FDA before its canned pet food products enter interstate commerce.

A recent inspection revealed significant deviations from prescribed documentation of processes, equipment, and recordkeeping in the production of the company's thermally processed low acid canned food (LACF) products. These problems could result in under-processed pet foods, which can allow the survival and growth of Clostridium botulinum (C. botulinum), a bacterium that causes botulism in some animals as well as in humans.

"As outlined in the Food Protection Plan, the FDA uses a risk-based approach to locate the areas of greatest risk for foods, and targets preventive controls and inspections to those areas, " said Dr. Stephen Sundlof, director, Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition. "The FDA's authority to issue an order requiring an emergency permit is an enforcement tool designed to prevent unsafe foods from reaching consumers.”

The FDA issues an "Order of Need for Emergency Permit” if the agency determines that a company fails to meet the regulatory requirements to process a product that does not present a health risk. For Evanger's to resume business, the company must document that corrective actions and processing procedures have been implemented to ensure that the finished product will not present a health hazard.

Botulism is a powerful toxin that affects the nervous system and can be fatal. The disease has been documented in dogs and cats. Signs of botulism in animals are progressive muscle paralysis, disturbed vision, difficulty in chewing and swallowing, and progressive weakness to the body. Death is usually due to paralysis of the heart or the muscles used in breathing.

In light of human botulism illnesses and recalls that occurred due to under-processed hot dog chili sauce, and potentially under-processed canned green beans, FDA has urged all LACF processors to review their operations and the apply scientific principals and regulations that have been established to provide a safe product.

While FDA's Center for Veterinary Medicine has authority over animal feed and foods, CFSAN is responsible for regulating all human and animal LACF processing. The two centers are collaborating on this enforcement action.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:02 PM
Administrator

Default Re: FYI--FDA Finds Problems at Evanger's

Wasn't Evanger's processing for another pet food company back during the recall... I can't.... "recall" (heh heh) but it seems like they did.
Closed Thread