Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 05-14-2019, 07:42 AM

Default Re: Help for Romeo

I believe once sugar gets better regulated, the risk of UTI should decrease. As you said, high sugar can increase risk, that's common.
From what I've read, high sugar allows more bacteria to form and the kidneys don't always get it all flushed out.

And a lower protein food may help the kidneys ensure they flush all bacteria out.
Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.
Old 05-17-2019, 12:48 PM

So Romeo appears to feel better, more playful. His sugar is about 350 on waking, a bit higher at night but nothing close to the 500s he was getting. Waiting til Sunday to do a full blood curve. Cautiously optimistic. Thanks everyone for the support.
Old 05-17-2019, 12:53 PM
Founding Member

Progress is in small steps for most . Glad things are improving
Jesse-26 lbs - 14 years old - 9 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of Novolin a day sometimes Novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar but that is rare. total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 6 and 8 units of NPH insulin depending on her fasting number
Old 05-17-2019, 01:22 PM
Founding Member

Great news!!!
Old 05-20-2019, 04:39 AM

So, though he seems more playful and has stopped losing weight, he is still having many issues. Peeing and drinking like crazy. Blood curve yesterday, after a week of antibiotics for UTI, was disappointing.

6 am 450, 1.5 units
9 am 322
11 am 409
1 pm 392
3 pm 386
6 pm 495, 1.5 units
8 pm 419
10 pm 342
Much too high overall. Still hitting nadir three hours after shot. So it isnít lasting.

Iím feeling discouraged and so tired of stepping in pee! Bought pee bands but think I had a size too small because it got wet but didnít seem to hold. Bought another size. Worried they will aggravate the UTI but really Iím at my wits end and at least need it on during night so I donít step in pee. If they work that is. He wonít sleep in the kitchen bcuz he has always slept next to my bed. I fell in pee when I got up in the dark to go to the bathroom myself and now can hardly walk on my left ankle. Then thereís the need to wash him after he has peed in the diaper. I have a call in to the vet.

Two of my friends recommended a holistic vet and Iím nearly that desperate.

Sigh.
Deb
Romeo, toy poodle dx diabetic Feb 2019. Natural Balance L.I.D. Sweet Potato Bison, Whole Life freeze dried turkey snacks. Vetsulin 2 units in am, 1.5 units pm, every 12 hrs. Ocu-Glo supplement to hopefully slow the growth of his cataracts. Bladder support (cranberry and d-mannose).
Old 05-20-2019, 04:59 AM

The shape of the curve isn't too bad, looks like you just need a dose increase. Then another curve and repeat.

Don't worry too much about when nadir is, every dog is different. My dog has had 3 different nadir times and curve patterns. However, I looked at the average during the 12 hours and adjusted, or was satisfied, based on that.

My dog's sugar ended at about where he started, meaning if his morning fasting is 7.0, his supper fasting is about the same. Your dog looks similar, so just get the whole range down with small increases.
Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.
Old 05-20-2019, 06:43 AM
Founding Member

I would say the UTI is probably more of the problem then blood sugar

It takes time . Many would be happy to just have a pee problem early in the diagnosis . My jesse was terribly sick for a long time

Remember the only thing that truly helps diabetic dogs is injected insulin and if anyone says otherwise is not giving good advice
Jesse-26 lbs - 14 years old - 9 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of Novolin a day sometimes Novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar but that is rare. total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 6 and 8 units of NPH insulin depending on her fasting number
Old 05-25-2019, 06:23 AM

I am ecstatic! With your advice of putting him back on his regular kibble (which I have now done 100% instead of half high protein), and the resolution of his UTI with the antibiotics plus the cranberry supplement someone here mentioned, Romeo has turned a corner. No pee accidents for two days, blood sugar so far today 268 fasting, and 175 two hours later. I will do a complete curve today but couldnít wait to thank everyone who gave me advice. Especially about the food. He did zoomies again today for first time in months! God bless everyone here. My heart is full of gratitude.
Romeo, toy poodle dx diabetic Feb 2019. Natural Balance L.I.D. Sweet Potato Bison, Whole Life freeze dried turkey snacks. Vetsulin 2 units in am, 1.5 units pm, every 12 hrs. Ocu-Glo supplement to hopefully slow the growth of his cataracts. Bladder support (cranberry and d-mannose).
Old 05-25-2019, 06:57 AM
Founding Member

Thats wonderful news. Keep up the good work
Old 05-25-2019, 09:59 AM
Founding Member

❤️❤️❤️. Thatís great!