Yuki has crossed the bridge Dec 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Questions about Yuki

He is still not eating right away and it has been a challenge. He has overgrowth in his outer gum area and the vet said it is gingival hyperplasia. I am wondering if that is what is causing this loss in appetite.

I googled the condition and it said one of the causes of this could be diabetes. Has anyone had a diabetic dog that came down with this condition.
    15 yr old, Atypical Cushings, Pancreatitis, Allergies. 11.5u Vetsulin 2x a day. Royal Canin Glycobalance 1 cup 2x Day with 3 teaspoons boiled chicken and chicken bone broth. Snacks Green Beans. Tylan Powder, Purina Fortiflora, Flax Hull Lignans 35mg 1x day.

Comment

Is there treatments or is it something you have to live with ? will it become more prevalent over time ? The other part is it affecting eating and will you need to find a solution to that with a food thats easier to eat . As you know with jesse she only eats one meal a day so that is an option if yuki would be good with one meal . There is always options and ways to modify routines to new challenges
      Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
      Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Gum disease can cause some tenderness in the gums, so if it's painful to eat, soft food would be better.
        But aside from that, some dogs, like mine, go thru periods where he has to coaxed to eat his breakfast. Not sure why. The other day, Riley only ate half his breakfast, so I just adjusted his insulin.
        Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

So our new normal is to check his blood sugar before every meal and then feed him. Sometimes he eats half sometimes he eats 3/4 and sometimes nothing so I have to figure out when to give him his insulin. Of course he is not regulated anymore which is very upsetting after a year of having him regulated. I think he has lost more sight in his eyes so we have baby gates everywhere. I have learned over the years with this disease to test a lot and adjust accordingly.

Recently I have to wake him up in the morning and put the food in front of him ans just pray that he eats. That has not been the case for him being in the past since he has Cushing's as well he normally ate a ton.

Sometimes it might be a couple hours in between that he eats the rest of his food. So I have to wait until his blood sugar gets to so I have to wait until his blood sugar gets to a certain level before I give him insulin.
          15 yr old, Atypical Cushings, Pancreatitis, Allergies. 11.5u Vetsulin 2x a day. Royal Canin Glycobalance 1 cup 2x Day with 3 teaspoons boiled chicken and chicken bone broth. Snacks Green Beans. Tylan Powder, Purina Fortiflora, Flax Hull Lignans 35mg 1x day.

Comment

As I suggested You could switch to one meal a day . Jesse has done that for her almost entire diabetic life . Its funny she would gladly eat twice a day or more but its the only way I could get her regulated . Others have done it with finicky eaters with success

You just have to figure the time when appetite is at its best and even if its still a bit of a struggle with one meal the other 12 hours without a meal should be better blood sugar because it is consistent . Jesses best blood sugar is the 12 hours without a meal but she does have a vita bone snack to keeps things stable

You work with what you got and as you know as long as it is consistent it usually can work .
            Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .

Comment

Is there anything he likes that you can put on top of the food? Or put it on top if he leaves god on the plate.
              With our chihuahua (not diabetic), I put little pieces of cooked chicken breast or cooked extra lean ground beef on top, then a bit more if she doesn't eat it all.

I sympathize with your predicament, as consistent food amounts are important and make regulation easier.
              Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

So now I'm running into a totally different situation and I truly need anybody's help on this one.

Yukon is still picky with his food so I have been putting boiled chicken and chicken bone broth on it and he eats almost half of it and then a few hours later eats the rest. I always have to take his blood sugar before and if it's high like in the 400s I will give him his full insulin dose.

Today he is throwing me for a loop. We got up this morning and his blood sugar was 125 and he didn't want to eat so I didn't give him his insulin. He went on the back porch and slept for a couple hours and came in and ate 3/4 of his food. I checked about 30 minutes later his blood sugar only went up to 175 which is very unusual 30 minutes after eating food. He then ate the rest of his food and I waited an hour and took his blood sugar again and it was only 200. I didn't give him his insulin shot until four hours after his original shot is supposed to be scheduled because then it was 410 and I felt comfortable giving him his shot but I only gave him 10 units versus 11.5 units.

Same thing happened for dinner now his insulin is 150 he ate almost his entire meal within 25 minutes I took him for a long walk and three hours later his blood sugar is 201.

I'm going to have to stay up a couple more hours and test his blood again and determine how much insulin I should give him.

Has anyone had this happen before where he eats a full meal and his blood sugar doesn't go up hardly at all?

Comment

I can only suggest to test when he wakes up then walk him a short bit test then feed him just putting maybe salmon oil as a topper then test 1 1/2 hours later
                  Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
                  20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

Not unusual. I have seen jesse drop after meals . I think we look at dogs being like humans and digest food similarly but they dont . My thought dogs dont produce much immediate blood sugar from food and why they dont need a fast acting insulin component . Most of the sugar we see is from the body and dogs that have really good blood sugar their body is able to adjust that and work better with injected insulin

Comment

Have you guys ever missed giving your dog a dose because his sugar is too low to give the shot? Or do you just give a smaller amount.

He usually eats at 6am and it is now 11:40am and he finally ate all of his food about an hour ago and his blood sugar is 189. I have not even given him his insulin yet.

I am wondering if I should just wait now until dinnertime. I can't imagine me not giving him any insulin at all, but if he is in the 100's then I have no clue what to do.
                      Last edited by YukiesMom; 08-18-2020, 08:42 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Consistency is usually your friend . You really want to stay away from dosing more than an hour or 2 after meal as you may see overlap with the next dose

What i have learned is the more consistent everything is the better regulation .

The standard practice on the forum is a quarter of the dose if food is not consumed and then adjust depending how much is consumed like half would be half a dose . Jesse gets a dose of insulin for the morning without a meal but gets a vita bone snack . Her morning dose is about half of her dose with meal in the evening

Now through testing you maybe able to be more exact with your dosing but it is a more difficult way of management but sometimes you dont have a choice

Comment

I'll second that, consistency is best. At 189, chances are in a few hours he'll be at 400 again, so I wouldn't wait to give the insulin.

You may have to adjust his regular dose to compensate for him eating a bit later than normal. Or reduce the dose sometimes to prevent overlap. But then you're doing different doses all the time; could affect regulation.

And his glucose rise after eating, 125 to 175, after 30 minutes, and 3/4 of food amount, that's about 4 points (Canadian), which is somewhat normal in my opinion. And food plays a role in that; low glycemic vs high glycemic, etc.
                          My dog can go up 8 points at the top of his curve, 4 hours after eating, albeit that's with insulin at mealtime.
                          Last edited by Raysaint; 08-18-2020, 11:14 AM.

Comment

You were right - his blood sugar went from 189 at 11:30am to 428 at 1:30pm - I gave him 9 units of insulin.

I am going to have to try to just reduce insulin based on food consumption - what is throwing me off is he isn't feeling well at all in the morning because of this sarcoma the vet says he has somewhere in his nasal cavity.

Tonight I am going to have to take his blood sugar before the meal and if it is good let him eat and wait about an hour and possibly just give him a low dose.

Does this sound reasonable?

Comment

Either way is possible . Your best bet is to find a way to be consistent so your not constantly have to adjust and modify . I understand that maybe difficult with the challenges Yuki is under but i had challenges with jesse and we eventually found consistency even though the routine was far different than the 12/12 program .

Comment

So I had bloodwork done Friday on Yukon and the vet called back today and said that his Acute Pancreatitis is acting up again - slight elevation. She said his Liver count is off a little and she thinks it is from the pancreas. But she also said that she thinks his body is now not producing enough Cortisol so instead of Cushings he might be getting Addison's.

I don't give him anything that would give him the Pancreatitis so I am a little baffled :-(

Comment

Working...
                                X