Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: My Monster Vinny

I love that curve....

But to be safe, and if it were me, I would keep him there if you are not home. If you are only going away for two days, up his dose when you get home, and don't worry, and enjoy your time.

Have a nice time!

Barb
    Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

Today is the day! We leave for camping later this afternoon! I'm nervous, but we won't be that far from home that we can't leave if we had to.

I even made a bandana for him that says 'please don't feed me'. Hopefully that will get the message across.

Wish us luck!
      Mel
      Mel: My monster is Vinny! He's a black lab, diagnosed with diabetes June 21, 2013. His birthdate was celebrated the last weekend of May. He left this world on July 27, 2018, he was 12 years old.

Comment

Originally posted by Monsters Momma View Post
        Today is the day! We leave for camping later this afternoon! I'm nervous, but we won't be that far from home that we can't leave if we had to.

I even made a bandana for him that says 'please don't feed me'. Hopefully that will get the message across.

Wish us luck!
        Mel

have fun!! we have to go away next month i am dreading it as well.. but you need time away as well..you couldnt bring him camping with you? we took fred a couple of years ago and he was fine..it was a challenge packing his insulin and food but he was fine..maybe i missed why you couldn't bring him but thought i would ask anyways..either way he will be ok
        sherryandfred.. in memory of fred he was a rat terrier that lived life with diabetes for 4 years and being blind for most of his life..he finally crossed the bridge on april 2, 2014 and will be missed greatly...

Comment

Have a wonderful time. Remember you need the reprieve.. it is good to come back and refocus.

Barb

Comment

Originally posted by sherryandfred View Post
            have fun!! we have to go away next month i am dreading it as well.. but you need time away as well..you couldnt bring him camping with you? we took fred a couple of years ago and he was fine..it was a challenge packing his insulin and food but he was fine..maybe i missed why you couldn't bring him but thought i would ask anyways..either way he will be ok
            Oh no, he's going! I don't know which would be worse... Leaving him or taking him!. I'm just nervous because we haven't taken him out of his comfort zone and this is definitely out of his and mine!
            Mel: My monster is Vinny! He's a black lab, diagnosed with diabetes June 21, 2013. His birthdate was celebrated the last weekend of May. He left this world on July 27, 2018, he was 12 years old.

Comment

Originally posted by Monsters Momma View Post
              Oh no, he's going! I don't know which would be worse... Leaving him or taking him!. I'm just nervous because we haven't taken him out of his comfort zone and this is definitely out of his and mine!
              well we did it for the first time and he is blind and he loved it..we brought some long rope and tied it to the tree so he could feel like he was walking around the site and he just walked around and stuff..he was perfectly fine..i was scared to but it was fine..he slept with the kids..and i had a cooler for all his stuff..i just warned anyone that came up near the site that he was blind and not to pat him unless we were there..it worked out great..the ride was the worse he hates cars...my vet told me to get him benadryl to knock him out but it didnt work..lol

i think he will do fine have fun..
              sherryandfred.. in memory of fred he was a rat terrier that lived life with diabetes for 4 years and being blind for most of his life..he finally crossed the bridge on april 2, 2014 and will be missed greatly...

Comment

He is going? Oh he will do fine, then. Even better to have left him at a high dose. All the excitement may drive him down further.

I know when I travel with Abby.... she has beautiful numbers. I think the extra level of excitement is good for her.

He will do fine.

FYI: I have purchased the Frio Wallet for traveling, link below. I love this gadget for insulin. I soak it in cold water, and it keeps the insulin cold without any cooler. What I like about it, is that it can last up to 5 days, and when you need it, cold water is what activates it. I should have mentioned this sooner, if I knew he was going.

http://www.americandiabeteswholesale...n-wallets.aspx

Barb
                Last edited by Abby's Mom; 08-23-2013, 07:08 AM.

Comment

I'm sure you'll do fine and have a lovely time with him as well! Have a good trip!
                  Antonia
                  Eddie - Lab x golden retriever. Weighed 63lbs. Ate Canagan. Diagnosed October 2012. 13units of Caninsulin twice a day. Had EPI as well as diabetes. Died 20 June 2017. Loved forever.

Comment

have a great trip! My blind Jenny did very well when we road tripped to Indiana last year. She goes through weeds, fields, whatever, loving to explore.

I hope Vinny has a great time, and you too!
                    Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Hope all goes well! Anxious to hear all your stories when you get back
                      Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Is this the camping trip that got postponed? The one you were hoping to get out of? LOL! Hoping all goes well and that you get some special treatment of your own upon return (for being such a good sport).
                        Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

Have a great time!! I like your idea for his bandana. I used iron on vinyl and put this plus Jake's name and my phone number on his collar. Figured you just can't be to careful when out and about.

Jake
                          13 years old, diagnosed Sept. 24, 2012
                          At the rainbow bridge, Nov. 12, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Linda1 View Post
                            Have a great time!! I like your idea for his bandana. I used iron on vinyl and put this plus Jake's name and my phone number on his collar. Figured you just can't be to careful when out and about.
                            Soaphie and Sydney would pitch a fit with that collar - telling me "Don't label us!!!"

(PS - they can't read too well - so I just put it on their dog tags )
                            Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

Originally posted by momofdecker View Post
                              Is this the camping trip that got postponed? The one you were hoping to get out of? LOL! Hoping all goes well and that you get some special treatment of your own upon return (for being such a good sport).
                              Yes it is. I was hoping they would just forget about it, but no such luck! I'll get my spa day for this!

Comment

Originally posted by Linda1 View Post
                                That's a great idea!! Shortly after Vinny was diagnosed, John went and made a tag that said that with our phone number on the back! . Like you said, can never be too careful!

Comment

Working...
                                X