Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 11-27-2015, 09:50 AM
Founding Member

Default Re: My Monster Vinny

hope you guys are having a nice long weekend.
Old 11-27-2015, 09:55 AM
Founding Member

its great time to reflect on whats important
Old 11-30-2015, 08:09 AM

Question Re: My Monster Vinny

Hi All~~

This may fall under the category of "Looking a Gift-Horse In The Mouth", but I am really confused about this.

We switched Vinny a few month's ago to Novolin from Vetsulin. There were several reasons, but the main ones were 1) We could not get him to gain weight and 2) We never felt 'regulated' on Vetsulin. We had tried it for two years and felt we needed a fresh start...food and all.

Fast forward to now, Vinny's BG has been nothing but steady! When we do curves he rarely has any numbers outside of a range of 100...and usually better than that. The only problem is it is usually in the high 200's or low 300's. We've inched our way up to 30 units 2x's a day and still his BG is right in that range. Now here's the really weird part...he has gained about 8 lbs!! I can't see his ribs sticking out from his skin anymore. He's not begging for food, although his clock is off with Daylight Savings Time! And his energy level is up a bit.

So, can you see where I'm going here? Here's my confusion...I thought he wouldn't gain weight until he was regulated, and I thought 'regulated' meant his BG would be in the lower 200's, high 100's. So, is he regulated where he is? Do I accept where he is and thank God he seems healthy? I truly am thankful, I just don't know what to do with this now!

Counting my blessings,
Mel and Vinny
Old 11-30-2015, 08:48 AM
Founding Member

well you know I'm no expert but Vinny apparently has not read the manual! If it were me, I'd base my decisions on how is feeling and acting and not sweat a "perfect" regulation.

The only question is his eyesight. Could running in the 200-300's make him more of a risk for cataracts? I have no clue, my Jenny got hers so quickly.

Way to go Mr. Vinny. he could settle down a bit once his weight settles too.

excellent news!
Old 11-30-2015, 09:04 AM

Hi Mel,

It could be that if he is gaining weight, he will need more insulin. Have you been feeding him more? Just a thought.

So glad he is doing better.

Barb
Old 11-30-2015, 04:39 PM
Founding Member

wonderful news mel

i remember when jesses ribs did not show anymore very grateful

hard to say what the reason is but it appears dogs can tolerate the higher sugar quite well

another thought maybe your meter is reading higher
Old 11-30-2015, 10:27 PM

Congratulations Mel! And Vinny too!!
I've turned into a bit of a forum lurker, and I feel like I haven't seen your thread in ages!! I'm glad to hear the Vinny has gained weight that's just great!

I get what you mean about his numbers being a bit of a head scratcher. I know I've read many times on here how dogs handle higher blood sugar better than people do, and than many of our dogs just refuse to read the canine diabetes manual. Maybe Vinny just feels normal in that range. I know Bazzle doesn't start acting sick until he ends up in the upper 300's range. So as long as he's below that he's a happy go lucky boy.

I'd say as long as Vinny is happy, I'd take it as a win! Happy to hear from you,

Audrey & Bazzle
Bazzle - My sweet German Shepherd Chow Chow boy, born approximately 6/7/2002, adopted 8/7/2002, diagnosed with diabetes 12/28/2012, lived happy and healthy on Novilin 70/30 and Hill's Science Diet WD... Continued his journey into the next life on 5/15/2016. I miss you baby boy; you'll stay in my heart forever.
Old 07-10-2016, 06:47 AM

Hi All~
I want to say that things have been going pretty well for Vinny, but as I sit here ready to ask for some help, I'm realizing that maybe that's not really the case.

Vinny was put on Tramadol and Deramax a couple months ago when I took him in. I knew he was in pain by the way he was acting...walking stiff legged in back, missing steps, not laying down and getting up very easily. Arthritis and old age was the diagnosis. I wish I could say I think it has helped, but I really don't. I'm not sure if we can take him up any more or if he needs to be on something else. I know something is going on, I just don't know what.

Vinny's bg has been holding in the high 200's, some low 300's, but every so often he throws us a curve. About 4 weeks ago, his numbers went very low and we intervened with Karo and a biscuit. After dropping back on the insulin, we had to bring him back up again. Last week, at the same dose his numbers went to 500 after a very steady week. I thought I might have missed his evening dose when his numbers dropped into the 200's a few hours after his meal and insulin. Today, he started out at 489 and a couple hours later, 497.

Last I posted in December we were giving him 30 units, right now he is only getting 34. I have a hard time believing that he is being overdosed because we have brought him up so slowly and have been diligent with it, but I guess that could be the case. What else could be? Does anything else come to mind that we should be looking at?

We've been at this diabetes thing for just over three years now. I have to admit, I've been on cruise control...Vinny just had to throw me a curve to wake me up I guess. Thanks for any input you all have, I am so thankful I found this forum so long ago!

Mel and her Monster Vinny!
Old 07-10-2016, 07:49 AM
Senior Member and Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsters Momma View Post
Hi All~
I want to say that things have been going pretty well for Vinny, but as I sit here ready to ask for some help, I'm realizing that maybe that's not really the case.

Vinny was put on Tramadol and Deramax a couple months ago when I took him in. I knew he was in pain by the way he was acting...walking stiff legged in back, missing steps, not laying down and getting up very easily. Arthritis and old age was the diagnosis. I wish I could say I think it has helped, but I really don't. I'm not sure if we can take him up any more or if he needs to be on something else. I know something is going on, I just don't know what.

Vinny's bg has been holding in the high 200's, some low 300's, but every so often he throws us a curve. About 4 weeks ago, his numbers went very low and we intervened with Karo and a biscuit. After dropping back on the insulin, we had to bring him back up again. Last week, at the same dose his numbers went to 500 after a very steady week. I thought I might have missed his evening dose when his numbers dropped into the 200's a few hours after his meal and insulin. Today, he started out at 489 and a couple hours later, 497.

Last I posted in December we were giving him 30 units, right now he is only getting 34. I have a hard time believing that he is being overdosed because we have brought him up so slowly and have been diligent with it, but I guess that could be the case. What else could be? Does anything else come to mind that we should be looking at?

We've been at this diabetes thing for just over three years now. I have to admit, I've been on cruise control...Vinny just had to throw me a curve to wake me up I guess. Thanks for any input you all have, I am so thankful I found this forum so long ago!

Mel and her Monster Vinny!
Sorry to hear Vinny is feeling his age. I guess we are all getting older and are getting aches & pains.

Annie REALLY was stiff and appeared to be having arthritis. I started her on Synovi chews and they seemed to really help her. Of course every dog is different.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Over the years I've also had to increase Annie's insulin. For a long while she was on 7 - 7.5 units, now she is getting 9 units of Novolin-N along with a little Novolin-R. You would think their insulin requirement would decrease with their slower senior life style, but that isn't the case for Annie.

Craig
Old 07-10-2016, 12:12 PM

Hello welcome to the community!

Glad to hear your doggy's treatment goes well, I pray for him hope he will get better soon.