Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We're new to this. Four days in. Please help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: We're new to this. Four days in. Please help!

An intact female can show resistance to insulin during a heat cycle and would explain the higher numbers. not allot you can do until the cycle passes

would recommend a spayed as soon as you can to prevent future episodes and or possible infection
    Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
    Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Hey Jesse

She has a heart murmur though and she's 13. I know it should be done but obviously we're worried about her coming through the op.

She's blind but is there anything else I need to watch out for due to the high blood sugar?

It's dropped slightly over last two hours (500ish) and she's just had more insulin with her meal and more ABs.

Oh and her poor belly got shaved for the ultrasound which means she's now proudly showing off all her lumps and bumps underneath, bless her.

Comment

i understand sometimes we just have to wing it and do the best we can

my jesse has always been a challenge from day on and we need to be quite flexible in her routine to keep her in an adequate safe range

poor baby exposed for the whole world to see i am sure things will settle down soon
        Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .

Comment

Thanks Jesse. It's just so disheartening after things have been so good for the past few months. Luckily I kept up the BG testing as it was tempting not to as her numbers were always so good. We honestly wouldn't have known anything was wrong if we didn't test at home.

Vet did say she would usually keep her in but she was impressed with how we were testing at home and knew our stuff re adjusting the insulin - that is thanks to you and everyone on here who has helped us so much, so thank you.

Comment

What grade is her murmur? My non diabetic schnauzer is a grade 3 and they still are pretty good with her being sedated.

I think her diabetes could be well managed if you could spay her and possible it might reverse, although not likely especially the longer you wait.

On the other hand, with you testing at home, you can make the adjustments to insulin. I see the risks associated with days of high blood sugar - ketoacidosis, infection, etc. as the main risks and I guess you have to weigh that against the risk of surgery. It is a call only you can make.
            Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Hey Amy. Her murmur is Grade 2. I've also read that the diabetes could reverse on spaying (about a 5% chance based on research though)

The BG testing has been a lifesaver. We honestly wouldn't know anything was wrong with her at all without that - and no way would I have taken her to the vet today without seeing such high readings.

I think we'll end up getting her spayed but it's just so scary. For now we're pee testing as well as everything else. Thank you so much.

Comment

Just a thought, but it is much easier on these older seniors to have a simple ovarectomy instead of the standard hysterectomy. A lot quicker op and not as much anesthesia, makes it a bit safer.
                You might check with your vet on this, we have had a few spayed that way with no problems.
                Any questions just send me a pm

Comment

Thanks so much Joan, I'll mention it to the vet when we go back.

Well we're still having problems with the Freestyle Lite strips giving odd readings - just had a HI using one this morning four hours after insulin (700+), then 25.9 (about 460) with my very last Alphatrak strip straight after.

The readings seem close enough at normal levels but are poles apart as the BG readings get higher.

Hopefully the Alphatrak strips I've ordered will arrive tomorrow. Jess meanwhile is snoozing happily on my bed, she seems fine this morning and has had three of her ABs so far. At least she's eating her food I suppose.

Comment

I think when numbers are high, all of the meters are "off" even the Alphatrack strips. Since they use algorithms, I wonder if they just get wacky when the readings are beyond the scope. I am not a math person so the whole thing is rather confusing but meters are just not going to give the results a lab would, but they are the best alternative we have.

Hoping things settle down for her soon.
                    Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Originally posted by Jessie'sMummy View Post

Well we're still having problems with the Freestyle Lite strips giving odd readings - just had a HI using one this morning four hours after insulin (700+), then 25.9 (about 460) with my very last Alphatrak strip straight after.

The readings seem close enough at normal levels but are poles apart as the BG readings get higher.

Hopefully the Alphatrak strips I've ordered will arrive tomorrow. Jess meanwhile is snoozing happily on my bed, she seems fine this morning and has had three of her ABs so far. At least she's eating her food I suppose.
                      wondering what code number your AlphaTrak strips were, and what code are you using while using the FreeStyle Lite strips? Were you using the same code with both the AlphaTrak and FreeStyle Lite strips? You might need to try other code numbers with the FreeStyle Lite strips: some think code 5, or code 6 works well.

Craig
                      Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Hello everyone. Hope you're all well.

An update on Jess. She's doing really well. She was spayed and had a mammary tumour removed three weeks ago. She came through it all like a trooper and was ready for us to collect as soon as she woke up. The vet was impressed her blood sugar stayed stable through the operation despite her having no breakfast or insulin.

She was mithering us for a walk the next day despite the 8 inch wound! Her fur has grown back already, the scar healed in ten days and she managed the whole thing without a cone on her neck (not practical as she's blind).

She's very happy at the moment. Obviously the tumour is worrying but we're trying not to think about it. It was a lump she'd had for some years but all of a sudden started growing so it had to come off - they removed everything so we just need to keep an eye on her other lumps from now on.

Thanks again for all of the advice we've had from you all. It's her birthday in two weeks! We never really thought we'd get this far.

Comment

Aw, what a great update!!! So happy for you and your girl.

Natalie

Comment

Yes i felt the same way over 6 years ago and it will be jesses 12 birthday next month

glad it all worked out and hope for things stay in good shape nice to go for walks

Comment

Working...
                            X