FDA APPROVES 2nd CANINE INSULIN:PROZINC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FDA APPROVES 2nd CANINE INSULIN:PROZINC

The cat people on FDMB try to help me with Suzie's high FBG and just offered this new online article. I thought some of you would like to read it..I have not researched it yet..
    http://veterinarynews.dvm360.com/pro...roved-use-dogs
    Squeaker, 15yo, 8.4 lbs, chihuahua, diagnosed 4/26/2021. Diabetes Mellitus 1 +Adrenal Dependent Cushings.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...wD4/edit#gid=0

Re: FDA APPROVES 2nd CANINE INSULIN:PROZINC

https://www.aaha.org/guidelines/diab...n_therapy.aspx

It is a long acting insulin, which as we know, doesn't work for many dogs, unless combined with a fast acting for post prandial spikes.
    Not sure how much it differs from Lantus or similars.
    Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

I always wondered if these long acting insulin's would work with jesses one meal a day and would only need one shot with her one meal . I experimented with NPH and she could hold control up to 16 and maybe 18 hours off one shot with meal . I am surprised that has not been tried as i have seen that one meal can work but NPH doesnt get 24 hours of duration
      Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
      Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Jesse girl..As I look back on Lantus, Suzie's BG numbers were better overall (I think) and really miss its predictability but my selfish need to sleep a couple of hours must have caused me to go to Vetsulin? I am not familiar with prozinc BUT can't help but notice, unlike Vetsulin, it clearly states "DO NOT SHAKE..." I may switch back to minimal or no shaking with Vetsulin before moving to another insulin. BTW..I remember your mentioning the one meal...Is that a strategy that has allowed you such good control over the BG?
        Squeaker, 15yo, 8.4 lbs, chihuahua, diagnosed 4/26/2021. Diabetes Mellitus 1 +Adrenal Dependent Cushings.
        https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...wD4/edit#gid=0

Comment

Originally posted by bichons9 View Post
          Jesse girl..As I look back on Lantus, Suzie's BG numbers were better overall (I think) and really miss its predictability but my selfish need to sleep a couple of hours must have caused me to go to Vetsulin? I am not familiar with prozinc BUT can't help but notice, unlike Vetsulin, it clearly states "DO NOT SHAKE..." I may switch back to minimal or no shaking with Vetsulin before moving to another insulin. BTW..I remember your mentioning the one meal...Is that a strategy that has allowed you such good control over the BG?

I would say it was the only way we could get control in that first year after trying all the normal things. we had to dig into the bag of tricks . When i did it I was at my wits end . It made sense In terms of jesses curve and wanted to eliminate food from equation for half a day . I new you could give NPH without food . Am glad it worked and maybe it helped her to have a long diabetic life but who knows for sure ?
          Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
          Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

I would say that the one meal thing would work for some dogs and not for others. Maggie always would start throwing up that foamy stuff if she didn’t eat four times a day. She would get a sour stomach easily. Her digestive system would just continue to work if she had no food so eventually it would make her sick. Her vet always said her digestive system worked the best if we could keep it busy even with small portions. So, we did four meal times a day.
            Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Working...
            X